4gb+ memory in winXP

Discussion in 'Computer Science & Culture' started by vslayer, Jul 2, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. vslayer Registered Senior Member

does anyone know if its possible to tweak windows xp to support more than 4gb ram? i dont particularly want to go to 64bit as ive heard it causes a lot of conflicts with 32bit application, but i plan to build a new gaming i and i need it to support 8gb of ram.

also, any information about GOOD windows emulators for linux would be a nice alternative.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. RubiksMaster Real eyes realize real lies Registered Senior Member

It's not a problem with Windows, it's a shortcoming with 32 bit architecture.

With 32 bit addresses, your computer only has an address space of 2^32 bytes, or about 4 GB. But, to add to that, not all 4GB of addressing space can be used for RAM, because there is memory-mapped IO for your other devices.

So basically there is no way to do it without having 64 bit hardware, and using the 64-bit version of Windows.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. nietzschefan Thread Killer Valued Senior Member

3.2 gb usable by 32bit OSs. Like Rubiks said - no way around it. 64bit only. I'm using vista 64bit, so far so good. I was going to up my mem to 8GB from 4GB, but it will probably screw up my overclock, which I finally got stable.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Rick Valued Senior Member

dude, I doubt if that would help much ... i have 4 Gigs on Vista 64 ultimate with Quad Core and guess what do i do? Program, program, program 24x7 and i was able to do it with ease on my P4 laptop at reasonably same speeds! =( ... its t3h eclipse i think it just sucks when it comes to utilization of cores etc., if you need some get a better SLId video card or something.

Rick
    PS : Does it really help? i'd like to know if so ... I'll think of upping mine in that case???

Last edited: Jul 3, 2008
  8. nietzschefan Thread Killer Valued Senior Member

If you are programming(and compiling on that laptop) it will help.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.