Why...

Discussion in 'Free Thoughts' started by visceral_instinct, Jun 30, 2008.

1. visceral_instinct Monkey see, monkey denigrate Valued Senior Member

2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. clusteringflux Version 1. OH! Valued Senior Member

These things are poison to me. I'll stick to dark beer.

4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. visceral_instinct Monkey see, monkey denigrate Valued Senior Member

Um, I don't think you want to drink a dark beer before exercise.

6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Balerion Banned Banned

I asked that once about an energy drink back when I first started exercising. The trainer told me, "You'll have some really expensive pee."

8. visceral_instinct Monkey see, monkey denigrate Valued Senior Member

I don't get that...and has anyone any idea of the necessity of that shitload of vit b12?

9. clusteringflux Version 1. OH! Valued Senior Member

Oh yeah, and why not?
    It's better than ODing on a junkybuzz drink.

10. visceral_instinct Monkey see, monkey denigrate Valued Senior Member

Wouldn't the alcohol make you all slow and fucked up?

Some of those 'junkybuzz' drinks are actually good. Red Bull's pretty powerful shit, the taurine prevents you from getting muscle fatigue, so you can really have at it when you go to the gym or otherwise train your body and not start to fail. The lactic acid afterwards does not feel too good though, and I'm not a fan of caffeine, it leaches calcium from the body. Though it's good for endurance.

11. sly1 Heartless Registered Senior Member

get real supplements rather than your 7-11 ghetto redneck buzzdrinks, they are not good for you....not before you workout or any other time. The carbonation alone makes you want to hurl and/or burp during your workouts.....

NoXplode, NoTrak etc.....are great pre-workout supplements DESIGNED for exercise! RedBull and etc gastation fastfood supplements are not designed for health and fitness.

But hey to each his own. If you want a cheap fast high for a cheap body by all means RedBull it up.

12. USS Exeter unamerican american Registered Senior Member

Too much of anything is bad for you.

13. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

Me mum lived to be 95 without ever taking vitamins or eating only certain foods. She ate what she liked but in moderation. Vitamins are needed for sure but everyones metabolism is different so no one knows what's really needed by each person on a daily diet.

14. Steve100 O͓͍̯̬̯̙͈̟̥̳̩͒̆̿ͬ̑̀̓̿͋ͬ ̙̳ͅ ̫̪̳͔O Valued Senior Member

I don't think there is any harm in that high of an amount of B12, the main problem is the amount of caffeine that is in them sort of drinks.

15. Enmos Valued Senior Member

Vitamin B12 Toxicity
    Vitamin B12 has a very low potential for toxicity. The tolerable upper intake level (UL) for vitamin B12 from dietary sources and supplements combined has not been determined. This does not mean that there is no potential for adverse effects resulting from high intakes. Because data is limited, caution should be used when supplementing.

No symptoms of vitamin B12 toxicity have been reported.

http://nutritionservices.upmc.com/NutritionArticles/Vitamins/VitaminB12.htm

Apparently you can take whatever amount of it you want.
    Probably the liver can easily filter out any excess..
    The reason they put so much of it in the drink is probably because your body uses a lot of it during intense physical activity.

16. shaman_ Registered Senior Member

Those guarana and taurine drinks are like weak speed/meth. Unfortunately I still drink them when I'm having a big night out. I'm not a smart man.

I do some weights and other exercise but I can't have taurine beforehand because it makes my heart go crazy.

I have a berocca every morning though. Whats the American equivalent of a berocca?

17. Myles Registered Senior Member

How did your mum decide on which genes to choose ?

18. visceral_instinct Monkey see, monkey denigrate Valued Senior Member

It doesn't make me want to hurl or burp. Just gives me some more endurance and prevents muscle fatigue.

And why do you feel the need to insult me? What's it to you if I want to have a Red Bull before exercise? So you don't like it, deal with it, no one's holding you down and making you drink it.

19. CharonZ Registered Senior Member

I would not bet on that. Toxicity is a poor indicator for food safety. One of the problems is the lack of studies to ascertain what further effects might be there. In general I read somewhere (maybe I can dig it up again) that getting vitamins and other nutrients from fruits for instance are more beneficial than the same amount via pills. Except for situations where you cannot easily have access to fruits or vegetables, or due to some medical conditions, dietary pills are supposedly not as good as eating well (why the heck is every juice supplemented with vitamin C, darn it).
    At least in animal models some supplements also show detrimental effects. I think I read something back that was also true for vitamin C despite the fact that excess supplementation would simply excreted.

In other words, high dosages rarely do good. Sometimes do bad.

20. Enmos Valued Senior Member

I agree with this, maybe my surprise in my last post was as apparent as I would have thought.
    To be honest, I was under the impression that Vitamin B12 was toxic in high dosages.

21. visceral_instinct Monkey see, monkey denigrate Valued Senior Member

So was I. I went to Wikipedia first and it says it is believed to be safe in dosages which do not exceed the RDA.

22. sly1 Heartless Registered Senior Member

which is exactly why i ended with "
    TO EACH HIS OWN" It was an insult if you say it is. Wasnt intended to be an insult though.

just fustrating to see people give into the hype of energy drinks because of the advertising when there are supplements that do the exact same thing but more efficiently and better for you.

23. visceral_instinct Monkey see, monkey denigrate Valued Senior Member

I don't 'give into it' because of the advertising. I like it because it works.