Urban survival scenario, what would you do?

Discussion in 'Free Thoughts' started by weed_eater_guy, Jun 30, 2008.

1. weed_eater_guy It ain't broke, don't fix it! Registered Senior Member

While daydreaming at work, I had a neat survival scenario come to mind, and I wondered how I would react if in this situation. I also thought it'd be fun to throw this question out here and see what we all would do. I'll put my answer up a little later, partially because I'm still asking myself what I'd do...

One day, you somehow find yourself in an unfamiliar, very large city. It's summer or spring, with the weather outside not being particularly very hot or very cold, at least not yet. The local language is your native tongue or another language you speak fluently or near-fluently.

The only belongings you have on you are...
    the clothes on your back (casual, nondescript),
    a pocket full of currency (either 100 USD or 63 Euros, your pick),
    a passport (only one of a country you're actually a citizen of),
    glasses (if you wear them),
    and yourself (clean bill of health, with an ample supply of medicine and equipment for any allergies or chronic conditions).
    You do not have a cell phone.
    You do not have any family dependents to worry about.
    You do not have any current career obligations or otherwise to worry about.
    You do not have any way to prove your educational status.

You don't know anybody in this city, and you can't contact anyone outside to have them visit you or lend you help, not even lend advice. You also cannot leave the city. Basically, you are alone, no "connections", no assistance, you're on your own out here.

You need to live in this city for a year, or more if you want, without leaving the city or contacting old friends and family. You can exist any way you want, but you probably want to find a way to sustain yourself and become as comfortable in this new city as possible, whatever "comfortable" personally means to you. You are yourself, with all your skills, talents, quirks, interests, appearance, etc. that make you you.

There are many holes in this scenario, such as the local culture, crime levels, yearly climate, etc. I'll leave that up to you to fill those holes, but do so to the tune of trying to challenge yourself, rather than give yourself an easy way out.

What would you do? What's your plan? What would you do to sustain yourself? What life would you try to lead? How would you meet new people? How would you keep yourself safe? Would you bother trying to live with safety in mind? What job or career would you try to work from the ground up? What would you do for fun? Essentially, what kind of person would you allow yourself to become?

2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Enmos Valued Senior Member

I would get a job. But then, I'll still be living on the street. I don't see how I would get a roof over my head without any substantial amount of money within a few days.
    Perhaps the job would pay well enough to afford a cheap motel room..

Why can't I go out of the city ?

Hmm.. that would have to be an illegal job wouldn't it.. without a passport..

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Asguard Kiss my dark side Valued Senior Member

umm i hate to tell you but this would never happen.

If stuck in this situation i would buy a bus ticket to the nearest australian embasy or consulate because half of there work is helping expats overseas

6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. draqon Banned Banned

I would first collect some soda cans, exchange them per each for 10c each...collect money...get myself lots of bread and water...then I would go down by the river, steal a kayak, put all my belonging inside the kayak and travel north...until I am out of major and middle size towns, then I would go look for a job while sleeping in a kayak and eating bread and drinking water. One I find a job I will work for a year and then well deal with life...

8. draqon Banned Banned

3 words:

Mexican illegal immigrants.

9. Enmos Valued Senior Member

Hmm why didn't I think of that..

10. draqon Banned Banned

basically I will live in a kayak, I will sleep there inside it...go arround collecting cans and recycling them, getting money, and buying food. And at the same time I will be looking for a job.

11. Enmos Valued Senior Member

Good luck getting a job while looking and smelling like a homo.

Edit: LOL that should be "hobo", sorry..

12. Asguard Kiss my dark side Valued Senior Member

Probably because your not australian. We have the media and goverment advertising constantly telling us that if you get in ANY sort of trouble overseas be it legal, finantial, medical or any other to contact DFAT. It may cost you when you get back to australia depending on the type of help they give you but for imidate need they can help and they provide all the same services a citizan could expect in australia including medical and legal aid.

13. Enmos Valued Senior Member

Hm are they expecting terrorist attacks or something ?

14. Asguard Kiss my dark side Valued Senior Member

no?

actually it has nothing do to with terriousium and i cant think why you would say it does. Most of the aid surplied is actually legal aid like paying for lawyers for people charged overseas.

Also providing finatial assistance for people who have been robbed ect

Disaster services like what was initiated in lebanon and during the tsnaumie are the smallest amount of there work (actually most of that comes from the minstery level rather than the embasy\consulate level)

15. weed_eater_guy It ain't broke, don't fix it! Registered Senior Member

I dunno, it's just a hypothetical to force you to think about how you'd survive IN the city, and not make this an exercise for finding out how to leave said city.

And in the list I made, you DO have a passport. I figured I'd at least put a form of ID in the list.

16. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

I'd find a nice woman that has a home and live with her.

17. draqon Banned Banned

I will buy some soaps and wash myself in restrooms in local libraries and stuff...

18. vslayer Registered Senior Member

i dont know about a city, but if i ended up in a rural town i would ask around the local farmers haunts(vets, farm supply stores, engineers) and find someone with a spare house or room that i could work in exchange for, id then find a cheap car and start looking for a full time job.

19. Enmos Valued Senior Member

I asked because you said they were broadcasting that constantly.

20. Enmos Valued Senior Member

Oh sigh.. my bad. It was rather late last night when I posted that

21. Enmos Valued Senior Member

You have virtually no money.. :shrug:
    lol

22. Lemming Registered Member

i would be a fine person, first of all i would, go to the nearest homeless shelter, and then register myself with the local DSS, (department of social security) have my DSS money sent to "no fixxed abode" so i will collect the money from the offices, i would then go back to the homeless shelter and read they're papers and lok at job advertisments, and then i will register at a local library (that is free) and i will then ask to use they're computers and look for work via the internet, i would join a few groups, and becomme a volunteer at a shop or hospital, and then see what happnes from there

23. kenworth dude...**** it,lets go bowling Registered Senior Member

get a job in a bar.
    find a girl with an apartment.

for the first 2 months,then see whats available.