If you love the Firefly TV show, please help.

Discussion in 'Free Thoughts' started by Johnnk, Jun 29, 2008.

1. Johnnk Registered Member

As anyone who has seen an episode of Firefly can tell you. Firefly is undoubtedly one of the most brilliant television series ever created. How else could a television show which only aired for nine episodes, in the wrong order, aired on Friday night, was prempted by baseball, was given little to no marketing, and was pulled from the air so quickly, managed to draw in such a dedicated fan base that the dvds sales numbered among the highest of all time, a major feature film was produced, and the series is still, to this day, the highest rated television series on tv.com three years after the last episode was aired. There's a reason why the feature film based on the franchise has recieved very positive reviews from virtually every major publication, though it's still not nearly as brilliant as the television show. Furthermore, the brilliant characters and the rich universe that the franchise immerses you has so many possibilities for storylines since each new world that the crew manages to find themselves on can very plausibly be like no other world they've been on before. Each could have a wholly distinct ruling body, a very different set of rules and beliefs, and could each expose the audience to a wholly novel experience.

Please take a moment and sign the petition petitionspot.com/petitions/bringbackfirefly

2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

Take it away, sho, begone! It wasn't that good at all. I'd give it a 3 out of 10 as compaired to any other SF TV show that's been produced in the past 25 years.

4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

I just got the DVDs as a gift. It doesn't hold up to Battlestar Galactica, but it's a decent show.

6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Orleander OH JOY!!!! Valued Senior Member

I love Firefly but how would an on line petition ever bring it back? Its been gone for years. I think you're gonna have to wait decades like Trekkies did for a new series. Or like Battlestar Galactia fans did.
    The Firefly you love is never coming back.

8. shaman_ Registered Senior Member

It took me several episodes to get into it. It is a good show but it's a bit of a mess. It doesn't appear to have had much of a budget and the western theme seemed strange at times but the writing was good and the characters were interesting. It was getting better though and the movie was good.

So I would like to have seen more but I'm not expecting to.

9. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

The movie wasn't bad but the TV show was the pits!

10. superstring01 Moderator

Firefly = Good.

~String

11. Orleander OH JOY!!!! Valued Senior Member

which is better? Firefly or Farscape?

12. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

Farscape by a huge margin, it had many things going for it that Firefly never did, acting was one, the script writing was also top notch and set design was superior as well.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

Last edited: Jul 1, 2008
  13. MacGyver1968 Fixin' Shit that Ain't Broke Valued Senior Member

Online petitions are about as useful as a one-legged man in a butt-kicking contest. No one who actually makes the decisions reads them, and since you can't guarantee all the signatures are real, they have zero credibility. All online petitions do is make the creator and signers of the petition feel "they are doing something" about a cause they hold dear.

You'd be better off starting a letter writing campaign among the fans to the network...I hear that's how they brought back "Jericho".

14. Orleander OH JOY!!!! Valued Senior Member

yeah, but it had puppets! :bugeye:

15. shaman_ Registered Senior Member

The only way it will come back is if people buy enough of the dvds.

16. Tiassa Let us not launch the boat ... Valued Senior Member

Firefly novel

In the meantime, for those who have not heard, fantasy author Steven Brust penned a Firefly novel under the title "My Own Kind of Freedom". David Itzkoff explains for Paper Cuts, a blog for the New York Times:

If you're interested, the file is available in PDF, PRC, HTML, and DOC formats: Click Here.

I can't tell you much about it, though. I have a copy buried in a stack of manuscript pages by my desk, but I haven't yet read the thing.

Notes:

Itzkoff, David. "Back from the Dead". Paper Cuts. February 21, 2008. http://papercuts.blogs.nytimes.com/2008/02/21/back-from-the-dead/

17. vslayer Registered Senior Member

i watched the first episode, seemed like absolute crap.

18. lucifers angel same shit, differant day!! Registered Senior Member

thank god its gone, it was dire!

19. Orleander OH JOY!!!! Valued Senior Member

was the movie Serenity on the same level or was it better than the TV show?

20. Xelios We're setting you adrift idiot Registered Senior Member

Firefly was awesome. The only thing that bothered me was the western looking guns sounding more like lasers, that's one area where they could have just picked an era and stuck with it. Like they did in Serenity.