Tennis question, whose point is it?

Discussion in 'Free Thoughts' started by Syzygys, Jun 29, 2008.

1. Syzygys As a mother, I am telling you Valued Senior Member

Who gets the point if this happens?

I hit the ball in a way, that it just goes over the net, then as it bounces, it spins back to my court, without my opponent hitting it. Then it bounces twice.

Whose point is it? By rules, does the opponent have to hit the ball or it can bounce back and stay still in play???

2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. kenworth dude...**** it,lets go bowling Registered Senior Member

your point i think as it would be the same as it bouncing on the opponents' side then going out of bounds.
    maybe

4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. John99 Banned Banned

yeah. should be reasonable that once the ball crosses the other side by your actions then it would be in your favor. wouldnt make sense to penalize you.

6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Syzygys As a mother, I am telling you Valued Senior Member

Yes, but it came back (the question is: if it needs to be done by the opponent's action or just by nature) and bounced twice, thus if it was still in play, I lost the point...
    It can not bounce twice, and it didn't on the opponent's court.

Let's throw in another complication: The ball is on my opponent's side up in the air after I hit it, when it hits a pigeon, then bounces back to my side and then goes off. Whose point is that?

8. kenworth dude...**** it,lets go bowling Registered Senior Member

but if the opponent fails to hit the ball when it is in his area of play,they lose the point.and his area of play is the 10km or whatever on his side of the net.you are not allowed to cross over into the other players' area,even with your racket/q

9. Anti-Flag Pun intended Registered Senior Member

I used to play that shot all the time, if it bounces on their side before it comes back it's your point, same as if you hit it correctly it bounces back into the net, which is a better shot. I guess I could be wrong but nobodies ever corrected it.
    In the event of a pigeon my vote would be a replay of the point, same as someone running onto the court, frustrating but as their isn't a way to tell how the point would have played out it must be done over.

10. Balerion Banned Banned

Yeah, personally, I would think you'd have to reward the player who made the shot. If it bounces on their side, then comes back to yours, (first of all kudos to you, you sly trickster) then it should be your point. The opponent did not make it bounce back over the net, so how is that your fault?

11. Enmos Valued Senior Member

Yours.. of course.

12. Syzygys As a mother, I am telling you Valued Senior Member

Yeah I guess, as long as it left the opponent's side without him touching it, it doesn't matter where it ended up...

13. Enmos Valued Senior Member

Yep

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!