UFOs

Discussion in 'Free Thoughts' started by EndLightEnd, Jun 27, 2008.

?

Do UFOs exist?

1. No 1000's of eyewitnesses are crazy.

1 vote(s)
    4.5%
  2. Yes, but they are unexplained natural phenoma.

7 vote(s)
    31.8%
  3. Yes, but they are man made.

2 vote(s)
    9.1%
  4. Yes, and they are extraterrestrials.

12 vote(s)
    54.5%
  1. EndLightEnd This too shall pass. Registered Senior Member

Just want to see where people stand.

2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Lemming Registered Member

the idea fascinates me, i would love to find out if we're the only people in the universe, i would hope not!

4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. clusteringflux Version 1. OH! Valued Senior Member

6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. mrow Unless Registered Senior Member

Is other a choice?

8. EndLightEnd This too shall pass. Registered Senior Member

Why would other be a choice, simple answer, YES or NO.

9. draqon Banned Banned

they are both man-made and extra-terrestrials.

10. mrow Unless Registered Senior Member

Because I think there is life elsewhere but not necessarily in the form of flying saucers.

11. Read-Only Valued Senior Member

Of course there are Unidentified Flying Objects. There are plenty of other objects that are also unidentified by the people who see them.

BUT trying to stretch it from there to aliens takes a lot of imagination or a lot of childish belief - as in things like Santa and the Easter Bunny.

Sure, there are lots of adults that believe in aliens - but just because they've lived a lot of years doesn't mean they are mentally mature.

12. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

If you actually "see" an object in the sky, wouldn't it then be "identified" by just the act of seeing it? :shrug: You might not know what it is exactly but you know that it is there and where it is.

13. Simon Anders Valued Senior Member

You haven't identified it.
    I saw someone go into the room and take the TV.
    I saw Frank Hudson walk in the room and take the TV.
    In the later case you have identified the tv taker.
    If the issue is species then 'someone' - generally indicating a homo sapian - is an identification.

So in a very weird philosophical sense, if you 'identify' 'it' as an object - rather then some other category of (______?), you have identified it. But pretty much everyone would consider 'object' insufficienct information for identifiication.

14. Simon Anders Valued Senior Member

I voted for the Yes, but unexplained natural phenomena. All phenomena are natural. I do think that whatever they are are beyond what we have catalogued in science right now. Or, to be more precise, that amongst the many kinds of UFOs there are many that are not swamp gas, or airplanes or weather balloons, etc. That something we would consider strange and new is taking place. I am not exactly sure what that is.

15. Stryder Keeper of "good" ideas. Valued Senior Member

U.F.O. means "Unidentified Flying Object" for the most part however people see something in the sky and they don't know what it is. Therefore all they really have is something "Unidentified". After all it might not be flying (It could be atmospheric, it could be the reflection off glass if seen from inside a building) and it's likely not an object. (After all if it's gas then it's not a solid and therefore not an object.)

I think it's more believable for people to say "I saw something in the sky the other night, I don't know what it was" rather than just saying "I saw a UFO." The latter is used more by people that are just trying to hoodwink people, making the listener to this "psuedo-observer" a stooge in this "prank".

It's been mentioned a number of times in the Pseudoscience forum that the percentage chances are higher for Manmade and Natural phenomena than any extraterrestrial origin.

You just have to weigh up certain points if you are looking at the chances of alien visitation, for instance:

Mankind has a limited number of spaceships, they cost a fortune, they require a large amount of resources and research. It's not something that a couple of guys could knock up in their back yard (Although the X-Prize was to prove otherwise). Currently it's a feat for our spacecraft to reach our own moon, let alone another planet in our star system or in fact a completely different star system all together. The number of star systems in the universe is a very large number (Feel free to count) so what are the chances that an alien race could amass a "space trip" just to spy on us, remaining silent/hidden from the masses and only showing themselves to yokel hicks.

I guess you can say that it's such an outsider in regards to betting odds, that I know full well not to bet any money on there being alien visitations to this planet. (Any budding mathematicians up for a bit of fun, feel free to calculate the odds)

16. EndLightEnd This too shall pass. Registered Senior Member

17. clusteringflux Version 1. OH! Valued Senior Member

Look, we're gatting to a point where half of the global population believes in "manned" crafts flying around that far exceed known technologies.
    There is a mountain of video footage of strange things in the sky that aren't easily explained away by even the largest skeptics and professionals.

Real or hoax, true or imagined, this is a serious subject and science can only run the other way for so long.
    It's unethical to blacklist everyone who entertains this subject and eventually the population will DEMAND answers from the science world. Swamp gas isn't going to cut it, this time around.

18. Enmos Valued Senior Member

I can't vote, because in order be able to vote in accordance with reality concerning this matter you should have made a multi-option poll.
    Answers 1, 2, and 3 are true. Answer 4 is false.

1. Some certainly are crazy.
    2. Some are natural phenomena.
    3. Some are man made.
    4. None are made by aliens.

Last edited: Jun 28, 2008
  19. Read-Only Valued Senior Member

So??????

People have been seeing "things" in the skies for probably thousands of years. And in all that time, no one has ever - EVER! - come forward with a piece of real evidence of aliens. Not one piece of material, not one piece of a cadaver.

And don't give us that old bull about government cover-up - that's nothing but immature or paranoid delusional thinking! The government cannot even keep it's own blunders under wraps for long and there's NO chance they could hide (and why would they want to?) something of this magnitude.

20. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

I "saw" an object flying in the sky.

It zig zagged like a UFO.

It hovered stationary over a tree.

It had blinking lights.

It was very dark out because of nighttime.

After reading that explination would you consider that "object" a UFO then?

Or could it have been just a helicopter??

21. clusteringflux Version 1. OH! Valued Senior Member

You're exactly right and that is the most diturbing thing. The news stations here are talking about it all the time.The Governments are are are releasing classified info. the cable TV shows are on board. WHY are their shows on the "History Channel" that support this stuff like it'e real?
    Read, if the Government came out said that it was ET, what would you think then?

22. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

Because it is easier to make something up rather than have a story line, actors, script writers, make up, set up crews, and many other things that a "real" show would take to produce.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 12, 2016
  23. Read-Only Valued Senior Member

What would I think? That the government offical who made that announcement hadn't taken his medication for a day or two, that's what I would think.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!