Options disappearing from right click menu

Discussion in 'Computer Science & Culture' started by kevinalm, Jun 27, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kevinalm Registered Senior Member

Got a problem I haven't seen before. Running fairly well updated win98se, installed within the last six months or so. Sometime within the last couple of days the option to creat new folders has vanished from my right click menus. I have been trying to updated vid card driver, so it may be related.

I'm at a loss here, anyone have any ideas? Is something bad going on with my system? Any help will be appreciated. Thanks.

Last edited: Jun 27, 2008
  2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Xelios We're setting you adrift idiot Registered Senior Member

Your problem is Win98SE. Look for the factory updated called Windows XP.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Dr Mabuse Percipient Thaumaturgist Registered Senior Member

you have a serious problem...

back up any data you have created... format the hard drive, re-install windows...

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. kevinalm Registered Senior Member

Thanks, I was thinking along those lines myself. Time to round up the stuff I want to save and copy it over to my external usb hd. Guess I've found my project for this weekend.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

8. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

On the toolbar where it says"tools" open that up and look for "manage addd ons". Left click the ones you want to add that were removed. Close it. Shut down your PC and restart.

9. Stryder Keeper of "good" ideas. Valued Senior Member

In all honesty you sound like you need to update your OS to a newer version (or a different OS altogether). Win98 (SE just means Software Edition with a few extra components added) is extremely dated, no longer supported and in all essence unstable and exploitable to the power of 10.

If you haven't the resources for Vista (which is likely if you are using win98) try going for XP. (I would say 2000, however I'm not sure when the support runs out on that)

If you are keeping the legacy software because you have specific games or programs that run with it, then consider Dual-Booting your OS with a more recent OS version. Never connect to the net via the win98 though (other than if there are updates) use the more secure OS for that.

I know I sound forthright, I apologise for that. I just know that OS is now up for adoption by an Abandonware party.

10. redarmy11 Registered Senior Member

I want to do this for running old games. I want to run Win95 alongside XP but creating and maintaining it the hard way is a pain in the arse (and the one time I tried it didn't work anyway). I know there are boot managers that supposedly make all this a cinch. Can you recommend me one (meaning from your personal experience - finding them is easy, but I'm looking for a personal recommendation, from you or from others). That would be lovely - ta.

(Gustav: I have tried VirtualPC. Good. Certainly interesting. But laggy when used with games, and no replacement for the real thing. This is all without even thinking about soundblaster emulation, processors that are way too fast, etc. Basically, your old games will never be the same again without a dedicated PC to run them on, in my experience to date. Someone prove me wrong, please..)

11. Gustav Banned Banned

old games?
    nah
    what games?

troubleshoot then list unworkables if any

i would'nt know shit anyway cos i aint no gamer

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.