Radeon 4800's

Discussion in 'Computer Science & Culture' started by Xelios, Jun 26, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Xelios We're setting you adrift idiot Registered Senior Member

I don't know how many people here pay attention to this stuff, but I do so I'm making a post about it.

Radeon's new lineup was released this week, and the reviews are looking really good. Nvidia's GTX280 is still at the top, but also still costs $660. The 4870 is coming very close at less than half the price, and it looks like ATI finally fixed the AA issues they've been having lately.

For anyone interested in the technical side of things, anandtech has a great review of the architecture in the 4800 series.

http://www.anandtech.com/video/showdoc.aspx?i=3341

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

If developers bother to make use of this parallel instruction processing the 4870 should handily outperform the GTX280. And now that ATI is officially back in the race, prices on both sides of the competition should be coming down over the next few weeks

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. lixluke Refined Reinvention Valued Senior Member

You could get 2 4000s at crossfire for cheaper than a single GTX200. Although I would way prefer the nVidia, they're prices are their downlfall.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Xelios We're setting you adrift idiot Registered Senior Member

The last 3 cards I've used were ATI, but I was ready to go to Nvidia's 8800 series now because of the shoddy performance of the 3800's. But now I think I'll pick up a 4870 instead.

The parallel instruction processing is interesting to me. It pushes the 4870 to 1.2 teraflops, while the GTX280 is limited to 0.9. It's actually beating the $660 GTX280 in Bioshock, the only game that makes use of parallel instruction processing. If developers put in the extra time to do the same with new games then $300 vs $660 for the same performance is a no brainer.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

I have had a Raedon X 800 Pro which works just fine for all of my games, editing and other stuff. $299

Enclosure Type Plug-in card
    Interface Type AGP 8x
    Processor / Memory
    Graphics Processor / Vendor ATI Radeon X800 Pro
    Ramdac Clock Speed 400 MHz
    Video Memory Installed 256 MB
    Technology GDDR3 SDRAM
    Video Output
    Max Resolution (external) 2048 x 1536 / 85 Hz
    Colors Max Resolution (external) 32-bit color
    Supported Display Graphics VGA (640x480), XGA (1024x768), SVGA (800x600), SXGA (1280x1024), UXGA (1600x1200), QXGA (2048x1536), 1152x864, 1920x1200, 1920x1440, 1920x1080
    Api Supported DirectX 9.0, OpenGL 2.0
    Max Monitors Supported 2
    Tv Interface TV out
    Analog Video Format NTSC, PAL - S-Video, composite video
    Digital Video Standard Digital Visual Interface (DVI)
    Expansion / Connectivity
    Interfaces 1 x VGA - 15 pin HD D-Sub (HD-15) 1 x DVI-I - 29 pin combined DVI 1 x VGA - 15 pin HD D-Sub (HD-15) ( with adapter ) 1 x composite video output - RCA ( on supplied cable ) 1 x S-video output - 4 pin mini-DIN ( on supplied cable )
    Compatible Slots 1 x AGP
    Miscellaneous
    Cables Included 1 x composite cable 1 x S-Video cable 1 x HDTV cable 1 x DVI-VGA adapter
    Package Type Retail
    Software / System Requirements
    Software Included Drivers & Utilities
    Os Required Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition, Microsoft Windows XP Professional, Microsoft Windows 2000 SP1 or later, Microsoft Windows XP Media Center Edition
    Manufacturer Warranty
    Service & Support 3 years warranty
    Service & Support Details Limited warranty - 3 years

Last edited: Jun 27, 2008
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.