Stryder Help Examine These Temps

Discussion in 'Computer Science & Culture' started by darksidZz, Jun 22, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. darksidZz Valued Senior Member

I took screenshot of it

http://img32.picoodle.com/img/img32/4/6/22/f_1m_4a0302d.png

I've got an ASUS M3A mobo, Phenom 9500 processor, I bought a new heatsink and it still reads these temps.

Tmpin0 is my CPU, the core temps are shown too. So what the heck! I touch the heatsink and it's not even that hot but then who the heck knows.

I got this cooler http://www.coolermaster.com/products/product.php?act=detail&id=2537

Also the box I had said it was good for the AMD Phenom line even though online it doesn't say this.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Stryder Keeper of "good" ideas. Valued Senior Member

From looking at your info and the information around the net it suggests that currently the highest temperature you have is the temperature inside your case. This suggests perhaps not enough airflow into the case or heat extraction out of the case.

However this is understandable due to what you have running, incidentally your Phenom processor can apparently handle up to 70 C with no problems. I guess you could try making sure it's in a well ventilated location rather than tucked under a desk or housed in the depths of a cupboard. It is possible to perhaps add extra fans but at the cost of noise, the alternative is to add a few extra breathing holes however this will undermine it's aesthetical appearance as well as the value of the case on it's own.

Simply though I'd suggest doing a little more research on what others have written on the internet, but you are ok for now.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. darksidZz Valued Senior Member

Well if you look you see the Tmpin0 which is the CPU temperature. The Core Temps are different and I don't think AMD's 70C limit appplies to those, they aren't really clear. So that would mean I'm over the limit if it's running 74C right? What'll happen then if it's 74 on full load?

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Enmos Valued Senior Member

Get your case out of the cupboard (or wherever), when it's turned off.
    Start running on full load, then check the temps again. I suspect Stryder is right.

8. Stryder Keeper of "good" ideas. Valued Senior Member

tmpin0 according to one location on the internet is actually the CASE TEMPERATURE. tmpin3 was supposedly the CORE TEMPERATURE. I could be wrong by going on internet sources but it suggests your CASE is what's high in temp.

9. darksidZz Valued Senior Member

I've just found out more about this, it seems AMD Phenom's have core temps and then something called TJuntion temps. The TJuntion is rated 115C while the core temps are listed in AMD's official documentation as 70C. So I'm alright running it with my current temperatures.

It confused me at first till I found one guy actually discussing it. Essentially he clarifies the CPU temp shown in monitoring applications like CPUID Hardware Monitor, Core Temp, etc. are actually TJuntion Temps (for multi-core processors) and not the MAX temps AMD is referring to (those are really core temps). Here he clearly states my max is 115C and provides a link to AMD's documentation about this all. Hope it helps anyone that was as confused as I was. He said the following

"If Phenom is supposed to work routinely at or above 85?C then why is its Tmax listed as 61?C in AMD's own document ??"

The Tjmax, highest internal safe core junction temperature at the hotspots for Phenom 9850 BE is indeed 61°C but the value you see in windows is not temperature as I stated earlier and I linked AMD's official documentation which expands on this fully, page 110 onwards. http://www.amd.com/us-en/assets/content_type/white_papers_and_tech_docs/31116.pdf

The hard-coded safety processor shutdown degrees value you see in software is 115.5°C, as the CPU tells us, as AMD programmed within the CPU themselves. This value and the values you see in BIOS and software reading temperature are called Tcontrol AKA Tctl.

The relationships to what you see in software as degrees (Tcontrol) to core temperature is not linear, i.e., 50°C in Tctl is not 50°C in core temperature, and it is designed this way for better cooling/noise control of your system fans. When what you see as temperature in the BIOS and in software (Tctl) reaches 115.5°C, Phenom 9850 BE has reached it's maximum operating allowable safe temperature (TjMax). At that moment the safety circuitry will automatically shut the processor down to stop any damage. This circuitry and sensor is separate from the Tctl sensors in Phenom processors, it is separately calibrated and it is called HTC i.e., Hardware Thermal Control. This is guaranteed to work on all Phenom processors to stop any permanent damage if they overheat for whatever reason to 115.5°C as you see in software."

And also another fellows info:

"KTE: I actually havn't updated Everest in a while, and I just did. Now its giving me All 4 cores and CPU temp, before it was just CPU. Which one should I go by? CPU or Core? Thanks

Both, one diode is a pin diode + offset + BIOS/application offset (same as you see in BIOS usually) and the other is from many Tjunction CPU/IMC diodes as one sensing feedback. Use the "Core" ones to check temps because its linked to the TCC - personally I would advise to stay below 75C full load in it with 9850BE/9750/9100 but the actual Tctl_max limit is 115.5C on these CPUs before throttling or damaging temperature is reached [i.e. Tcase_max]. The register checks confirm what I know from AMD previously too when I complained about how low the Max rated temp was (assuming it was 70C)."

10. Stryder Keeper of "good" ideas. Valued Senior Member

Well I'm glad you found some information about what to expect from your comp. To be honest I think you were starting to run at a higher temperature trying to work out what the problem was, if there was a problem

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

Like I mentioned though previously just make sure you aren't obstructing your systems ventilation and you should be fine.

11. darksidZz Valued Senior Member

It was pretty confusing at first, but clearly TJuntion is rated to operate at 115C on my processor which is what these software + bios applications report as CPU temp. The actual Max AMD refers to is the Core temp and not the TJunction. It just confused the hell outta me for awhile because nobody explains this anywhere online and they all seemed confused, these 2 fellas though seem to know what they're talking about. Here's more info about that measurement

"Tjunction (or TjunctionMax): This value stands for the maximum temperature at the junction between the processor die and the PCB it sits on, this is usually much higher than the TCaseMax value. "

Basically TJunction is reported as CPU temp but not really :L

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.