8bit palette textures for FF8

Discussion in 'Computer Science & Culture' started by Maxi, Jun 20, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Maxi Registered Senior Member

OK, I hesitated in making a new thread for my problem but since the title is deciptive in the other one as i worked that problem i will now ask a new question i need help with!!

gah im such a noob with computers...

Ok, basically i downloaded FF8 cos i like the game and i installed it on my comp after having troubles getting the game to run i worked my way to a solution but now I'm stuck again...

in the game graphics config it says that my comp fails the "8 bit palette textures" part... i did some background research and apparantly new graphics cards dont support it anymore so it's normal...

i found a launcher that supposedly takes care of the problem, however i cant get it to work... i installed the launcher and moved the files into the game folder where the normal .exe file is... i click on the launcher to run the game as it says in the instructions and it gives me the message that something is wrong and reinstalling the game might fix it or something...

im guessing that obviously i did somethign wrong but what? I really want this game to work cos i'd love to play it...

http://forums.qhimm.com/index.php?topic=7248.0

there's the link for where i found the laucher and there's a readme file there i think as well that explains how it all works... maybe someone kind could help me make sense of it all...

bear in mind that i am a noob so childish explanations are required

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

thanks a lot for any help in advance, pls get the game running for me

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Stryder Keeper of "good" ideas. Valued Senior Member

I can't be much help. I guess that newer cards are like a steroid abused weightlifter who can lift more than their own body mass but might find it difficult scratching an itch on their back.

Most cards are compliant with a particular version of DirectX and maybe still some OpenGL (Due to the language being constrained to hardware and not having so many developers use it, it's obviously getting a little left behind). In the instance of FF8, you are looking at a game that used a very early version of DirectX.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. ashura the Old Right Registered Senior Member

Honestly, it's just too much trouble. I would instead buy an actual PS copy of FF8 (which is super cheap these days) and run in on your PC with an emulator, which is what I did. It'll run faster, look nicer, and just give you a better experience overall.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Maxi Registered Senior Member

yeah i guess, but i got it to work... however now im still experiencing some problems with lagg... i'm sticking by it til i solve it!!!

8. EntropyAlwaysWins TANSTAAFL. Registered Senior Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.