Help with mounting ccd and cue files

Discussion in 'Computer Science & Culture' started by Maxi, Jun 20, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Maxi Registered Senior Member

Hello all of you who are way better with computers than me

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

I have a small problem; i downloaded final fantasy 8 and im trying to get it running only. Unzipping the files (5rar files one for each cd, 4play cds and 1 install) there were 2 files for each rar file 1 cue and 1 ccd file... also daemontools were included so i naturally assumed i needed to use it.

First I had problem installing it but somehow i managed to, by first mounting the ccd file that opened a new window with more files and within that window i mounted another image that ran the install cd and i managed to install it...

But now i have problems running the game. I can't manage to get cd 1 going, i tried mounting the image but when i run the game it still says insert cd 1 so i tried like with the install cd to mount an image within the new window but it doesnt work cos daemontools cant open the files...

I turn to you to see how i can solve this, I'm sure the answer is simple but not simple enough for me I'm afraid...

Thanks for any help in advance I really appreciate it.

P.S I was thinking that in any case maybe i should burn them on a cd and play from CDs, how could i get that working, something special I need to do?
    I'd like answers for both running it with cds and without, thanks again

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

"After installing the game to whatever directory you choose (I will use E:\FF8 in my example since it is a non-standard installation path), mount/insert the first CD into your drive.

Take note to what drive (letter) you will be using to mount/insert the first CD (I will use S.

After having done so, open up your registry editor. (For those who are new to this: 1. click your start button 2. click run 3. type in regedit and hit enter)

In regedit, find the key: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Square Soft, Inc\FINAL FANTASY VIII\1.00

Again, for those of you new to regedit, simply browse through the following folders (in this order) until the pane on your right displays several items, of which one will be "DataDrive".
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE
    SOFTWARE
    Square Soft, Inc
    FINAL FANTASY VIII

Right click on the string value labelled "DataDrive" (it will have an icon with the letters ab on it to the left of it) in the right pane of the regedit browser.

Click "Modify"

In the field marked "Value Data" which is the only field you can change, it will probably display something like "c:"

This is where knowing your installation cd drive letter comes into play

Change the "c:" to whatever drive you installed FF8 with (for example "s:\")

Click OK

Close regedit.

Run ff8.exe or your appropriate shortcut.
    ZOKZERO"

MORE INFO>>>

http://www.compatdb.org/support/topics/176145_final_fantasy_8_cd_problem.html

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Maxi Registered Senior Member

you my friend are a genius!!!!1 thanks so much i got it to work.... no my only concern us that it's a 4cd game how can i mount all cds to make it work smoothly... or what should i do?
    thanks a lot again!!!

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Maxi Registered Senior Member

hmm i just noticed as well that there are lines in the graphics of the game and black swuares here and there.... is that cos my comp is too powerful? or...? i mean by todays comp standsards it aint that great but compared to a 9year old ps game i dunno...

8. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

No, I just Googled " help with installing fantasy 8 CD" and Google gave that answer.

9. Maxi Registered Senior Member

cinematics run flawlessyly btw and i tried changing the configs but nothing changed... argh... took me forever to dl and now i cant play it cos really it's too bad to be able to stand while playing...

Last edited: Jun 20, 2008
  10. Maxi Registered Senior Member

hmm yeah i just noticed that under the graphics config is says that i pass all graphic requirements except "8bit paletted textures".

1) what is it?

2) can i fix the problem on a new computer?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.