Clearing out drivers?

Discussion in 'Computer Science & Culture' started by Carcano, Jun 20, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Carcano Valued Senior Member

So I just got an internal dsl modem two days ago and am trying without success to get it up and running.

Ive heard whispers on various web pages about the necessity of clearing out the old existing modem drivers to install a new one...but I cant find them???

I know there was a software CD that came with my old modem years ago that installed drivers somewhere.

The new drivers did install...but it cant see a functional PCI modem card. The card is installed properly and hooked up to my phone line.

Any clues?

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Stryder Keeper of "good" ideas. Valued Senior Member

Sounds like you've botched the install, if you are indeed dealing with a windows system.

What I would do to attempt to reload the driver is :
    • First check the Manufacturers website for updated drivers for your particular modem.
    • Either follow this article or do the next 3 steps.
    • Go to the Control Panel
    • Click on System
    • Look through the tabs for Device Manager
    • In device manager find the modem. It might come up with a Question mark if it's not working proper. When you find it right click it an uninstall it (or uninstall it from it's properties)
    • Once you've done that, the usual thing to do next is reboot the machine. (It's not sure if this is just to make you feel like you've done some sort of accomplishment or just to make sure that it's actually uninstalled and isn't going to rollback to being installed.)
    • Next get your driver disc (or file that you downloaded from the manufacturers website) and reinstall the driver. (If of course windows didn't attempt to force a generic driver on it)

Hopefully that will fix your problem otherwise remember that people can help if:
    • They know the OS you are using (and if you are patched up to date)
    • They know what hardware it is you are trying to install

Leaving those things out makes us guess wildly until more information is presented.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Carcano Valued Senior Member

I'm using XP and trying to install a SpeedStream 3060 internal dsl modem.

I did re-installed the new drivers, but I didnt reboot...so I'll try that.

What I'd like to know in the mean time is where I can find the modem drivers I'm currently using for my old external modem?

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.