Clueless bout CPU's.

Discussion in 'Computer Science & Culture' started by Challenger78, Jun 18, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Challenger78 Valued Senior Member

Assuming that I'm clueless, yet I need to buy a new cpu, in order to play games properly.

what should I look for ?

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Xelios We're setting you adrift idiot Registered Senior Member

First thing to do is figure out what your motherboard will support. You have a ASUS P5LD2 SE right? You'll probably need to open up the case and look on the motherboard itself for a printed version number, the "PCB Version". It's normally near the graphics card somewhere. You need 2.01G to run a Core 2 Duo processor, which is what I'd recommend. And you'll have to do the BIOS update.

If you don't have version 2.01G or greater you'll probably need to buy a new board, since anything you can put in won't be much better than the P4 you have now.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Challenger78 Valued Senior Member

yeah. I've done a BIOS update. But not really sure whether it was the right one.

Unless my computer running means that it didn't work, then I should be fine.

Is there any way to find out the version without trying to take out my graphics card ? the 8800 GT is one huge card./

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Xelios We're setting you adrift idiot Registered Senior Member

Well it should be printed on the board somewhere, it's not always in the same place. On my Gigabyte board it's printed in the lower back corner as "Rev. 2.0", on my old Asus board it was right above the graphics card slot, beside the model of the board.

If you did the BIOS update wrong the computer probably wouldn't boot, so the fact that it's running is a good sign

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

To be sure you can go into the BIOS while the computer is starting up and compare the version number to the update you downloaded.

8. Challenger78 Valued Senior Member

It's 2.01 G.

And I'm looking at the Intel E6850, as a dual core, despite the fact that my current CPU isn't recognized..

Also, my FSB is 1066 Mhz, is that going to affect which CPU I buy ?

9. Xelios We're setting you adrift idiot Registered Senior Member

The E6850 is 1333 Mhz FSB, you can run it at 1066 Mhz for a minor loss in performance (5% I think). As to whether or not your motherboard will recognize it, I don't know. It should now that you've applied the update, but things don't always go that smoothly.

10. Blue_UK Drifting Mind Valued Senior Member

Don't forget cache. The larger the cache, the faster it will be able to access the RAM (in short) and thus the machine performance is vastly improved for most tasks. 4MB is a good amount to aim for, though maybe the latest chips have even more.

(thread hi-jackers: don't even think about it).

11. Challenger78 Valued Senior Member

LOL.

I was wondering about the cache too. I heard some extreme gamers use up to 16MB.

12. Challenger78 Valued Senior Member

I think the BIOS is saying it didn't recognize it because it's old ?. Also, whats the easiest way to remove one of these things ?

13. darksidZz Valued Senior Member

I have AMD Phenom 9500, is this ok

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

14. Xelios We're setting you adrift idiot Registered Senior Member

A processor? Depends on the board. It should be as simple as lifting a latch or something to take the heat sink off, then lifting another little plastic latch to take the processor out.
    Intel's chips are faster, but not enough to buy a new chip again.

15. ashura the Old Right Registered Senior Member

16. lixluke Refined Reinvention Valued Senior Member

I've been building and selling power computers and gaming computers on the side for awhile. I highly recommend this processor:

Intel Core 2 Quad Q9300
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819115043
    2.5 GHz
    64-bit
    QUAD CORE
    1333 MHz FSB
    6 MB L2 Cache
    45 nm

It's a 45nm quadcore procesor. For your video card, get the EVGA 8600GT 512 MB. You can't go wrong with this card. It has 2 DVI ports. Be sure to get 2 LCD monitors for dual-monitor configuration. ACER AL1916CBD is a great 19" LCD.

Get 2 video cards for improved graphics. Use the dual video card SLI configuration on a good EVGA SLI mobo. Be sure to have at least 600W PSU. The ROSEWILL RD600N-2DB-SL-BK PSU is excellent.

The reason you want 2 graphic/video cards which is basically 2 GPUs running along side your CPU is because software, especially games, is far more advanced than hardware that can run it. Hardware is still very primitive with respect to software being developed. Even with a really high performance rig with 4 GPUs running in SLI configuration, you still might not be able to run the latest games smoothly at full capacity. Full capacity meaning best graphics. The higher you set the graphics, the slower the game will run. Depending on your system, you will want to set it at the highest graphics level prossible without affecting gameplay.

17. Challenger78 Valued Senior Member

I can't run quad core.

But I used the latest bios, and my bios reads 1301. which indicates it has updated properly.

I'm sure that Pentium 4 wasn't the latest in processors in 07, so I'm not sure why my BIOS claims it's not recognized.

18. Repo Man Valued Senior Member

They may have actually dropped recognition of older CPUs with the latest BIOS. There isn't much room to spare in a BIOS file. As long as it works as it is supposed to, BIOS recognition is irrelevant.

A C2D will be a big boost in performance over what you have now. Intel lagged behind AMD with the P4, but the C2D has put them firmly in the lead, and AMD hasn't been able to close the gap. I'll probably be upgrading to a C2D from my Socket 939 system fairly soon, and I've never used Intel for my primary system before.

19. Challenger78 Valued Senior Member

Removing the CPU really looks intimidating. Any tips on what NOT to do ?

20. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

Be very careful in pulling it out and pushing it back into place. Other than that be sure to ground yourself first .

21. Challenger78 Valued Senior Member

What about heating, will the standard heatsink work ?

and standard fan config is one with air in and the other with air out...right ?

22. nietzschefan Thread Killer Valued Senior Member

Don't use any force, either way . Basically do not fuck up the pins. Make sure you are going in properly. Treat it like a shy woman.

23. nietzschefan Thread Killer Valued Senior Member

Cool build. I just got a regular 65nm quad Q6600 and dialed it upi like an extreme quad. Looks like I will be able to get 3.0 ghz without getting too hot.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.