Water

Discussion in 'Chemistry' started by lucifers angel, Jun 16, 2008.

1. lucifers angel same shit, differant day!! Registered Senior Member

i was thinking about water last night, and i know people who horde water in garages, sheds, water butts, and so on, for days that have a water shortage, but doesn't the water go bad in any way, if it is kept to long without being drunk! ?

Its the same has food, obviously i know people horde food especially in the winter, and canned, tinned, food wont go of for a long time, but is water a differant matter?

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

You should not save water for more than 6 months the same with canned foods only look at the expiration dates. Most canned foods have a expiration date on them and then they should be thrown away. Gasoline also goes bad quickly unless you put an additive into it but even then it doesn't last for more than a year.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Asguard Kiss my dark side Valued Senior Member

cosmic thats wrong, firstly tinned food lasts YEARS not months, as long as the can isnt rusted, it has been canned correctly and there are no holes in it.

As for water it does tend to pick up a wierd flavor if stored to long but as long as its sealed it should be fine, if in doubt boil it because this will kill any bacteria though

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

As I said to look at the expiration date on the cans.

8. Asguard Kiss my dark side Valued Senior Member

i did

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

my grandparents live near a huge cannery and so we get some of our stuff straight of the convaerbelt. Actually i have been living in adelaide for more than 3 years and some of the stuff my grandmother gave me when i first moved here is STILL inside its expiry date.

The rust and holes on cans is more important than the expiry date anyway, also if the can swells dont open it

9. lucifers angel same shit, differant day!! Registered Senior Member

thats what i thought, but i have also heard what cosmic has said before, but does water go bad! ?

can you still drink it after say ........1 year?

10. Reiku Banned Banned

Yeh, the water should be contained first from a fresh source, and then when opened, it can be consumed within a few weeks... i think... without it going stagnent.

11. kenworth dude...**** it,lets go bowling Registered Senior Member

water goes bad,trust me.
    i am a fairly lazy man and during the summer i had lots of bottles of water around my bed,i woke up hungover and picked the wrong one.ewwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww

12. lucifers angel same shit, differant day!! Registered Senior Member

ewww gross!!

13. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

Water...butts?

Anyway, even if the water gets bacteria in it, you can always run it through a good filter or distill it if it's an emergency. There might be additives that make it last longer like chlorine. Ideally, your water storage tank would have a distiller attached. I used to work at a place that needed the purest water. They kept it in a huge tank 8 feet tall and about 6 feet diameter. The distiller was a small glass unit that attached to the wall. It kept distilling the same water over and over until the water was so pure, it felt slippery and wouldn't boil normally. It was probably too pure to drink!

14. lucifers angel same shit, differant day!! Registered Senior Member

yeah water butt!

15. Asguard Kiss my dark side Valued Senior Member

LA whats the point of that rain water tank? its WAY to small to be in anyway useful and it would just overflow in a decent rain storm.

but seriously it really doesnt matter how old water is, just make sure you boil it before use

16. Asguard Kiss my dark side Valued Senior Member

i mean how long does it sit in the catchments for before being drunk?

17. CharonZ Registered Senior Member

Actually it depends on how clean the water is and how it is stored. Going bad usually refers to some organic grwoth.
    Ultrafiltered water in a sterile vessel should therefore never "go bad". Not until handled under non-sterile conditions that is.

18. invert_nexus Ze do caixao Valued Senior Member

I'd have to be pretty hard up to be drinking water that ran off my roof.

19. Sciencelovah Registered Senior Member

That kind of water (rain water drained from roof), will not goes bad, because
    it is already bad.

Even if you filter, sterilize, and bottle the water into this kind of packages:

they will still goes bad, only it will take longer. That's why they have expiry date.

20. Read-Only Valued Senior Member

I certainly would not.

Let me put a little perspective on all this. When you work in a lab (as I did) you will find that they have eyewash stations scattered around. They are just a plastic squeeze bottle with a cup on top designed to flush out your eye in the event of an accident. The cup is sealed with a lid that can be opened very quickly.

Even though they are filled with distilled water, it still has to be replaced every six months because bacteria DOES grow in it.

And if it's not safe enough after six months to rinse out your eye in an emergency, I sure would NOT drink it.

21. Asguard Kiss my dark side Valued Senior Member

read-only i do agree with you that saline goes off (actually i have seen it go yellow and like jelly, it was gross) but in the case of drinking water LOTS of people drink tank water with no further treatment. Who knows how long the botom water has been there for.

22. Read-Only Valued Senior Member

Yes, but keep in mind I was talking about just plain distilled water. No salt or other additives.

23. Asguard Kiss my dark side Valued Senior Member

umm can i just point out that if water went off half the country would be dead. After all only the cities and people living around major country towns are on town water. Everyone else is on tank water (ie the water that runs off there roof and gets colected in huge tanks).

My aunt and her family use rain water as there drinking water surplie and if things are going well they go no where near emptying the first tank let alone the second back up tank