A UK driving question

Discussion in 'Free Thoughts' started by alexb123, Jun 15, 2008.

1. alexb123 The Amish web page is fast! Valued Senior Member

If you are on a normal roundabout in the left hand lane and you want to go past any exit do you indicate right to inform other drives you are not getting of at the next exit and that you are carrying on around the roundabout?

2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Ghost_007 Registered Senior Member

No. You only indicate left when you are exiting the roundabout.

You indicate which exit you are going to take to other drivers by getting into a certain lane and using an indicator at this point.

4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. alexb123 The Amish web page is fast! Valued Senior Member

But if you are in the left hand lane it can often seem to other drivers that you will take the next exit so surely telling people you are still going right makes sense?

6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Ghost_007 Registered Senior Member

In such a situation you would probably be in the wrong lane.

Lets take a roundabout with 3 exits, the road leading up to the roundabout has 2 lanes, you want to take the 2nd or 3rd exit on the roundabout. You would approach the roundabout on the inside lane and you would indicate to the right, other drivers would know you are not going to take the first exit. The guys taking the first exit would enter the roundabout on the outside lane, indicating left. And whenever you are leaving the roundabout, you have to indicate.

Hope that makes sense.

8. alexb123 The Amish web page is fast! Valued Senior Member

Yep makes sense cheers for that

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

9. Ghost_007 Registered Senior Member

Not a problem mate.

10. invert_nexus Ze do caixao Valued Senior Member

Roundabouts are retarded. They have a few around here too. What's the point? There must be some logic behind them that eludes me.

11. vslayer Registered Senior Member

you indicate left when you have passed the last road before the one you intend to take, to inform others that you are leaving, or left as you are entering the roundabout if you want to go left. if you are going right then you must indicate right upon entering the roundabout to ensure other cars dont enter the roundabout on the outside lane then switch to left indicator once you have passed the last road before your turn.

12. tablariddim forexU2 Valued Senior Member

If you are taking say the third exit from a roundabout, you position your car in the outside lane and indicate right, as you approach your designated exit you indicate left and change lanes accordingly.

13. Ghost_007 Registered Senior Member

Roundabouts can be a lot more convenient and appropriate. The best thing with roundabouts is that they allow you to use your own initiative, around the clock. You don’t have to sit waiting at a red light when there is no-one around.

A lot of junctions are only busy at around 9 in the morning, lunch, 3 and then 5 in the afternoon (when people are picking their kids up and coming back from work). A lot of junctions out of those times are relatively quiet. It is pretty pointless having drivers wait around when there is actually no traffic around, it doesn’t allow for a smooth flow. Most traffic lights at big junctions take a while to change. You eliminate that problem with a roundabout.

14. alexb123 The Amish web page is fast! Valued Senior Member

I live in Milton Keynes this is the roundabout capital of the world. The road system here is called the grid system and it works well as its in a grid with a roundabout at almost every intersection. It's popular and v rare to ever have a traffic jam and even if you did you would simply cut out part of the grid.

15. phlogistician Banned Banned

It means we don't have to stop at lights as often, and that a certain direction doesn't always have to give way to another. You simply give way to the traffic on your right (ie, those already on the roundabout, or about to enter (if it's a mini-roundabout).

'Stop' signs are retarded. Why come to a full stop if there is no traffic?

16. alexb123 The Amish web page is fast! Valued Senior Member

Is it true that the USA doesn't have roundabouts?

17. Asguard Kiss my dark side Valued Senior Member

vslayer a tiny modification to your post which has to do with large v small roundabouts.

If you are aproching a small roundabout you indicate in the direction you wish to go (ie as if it was a straight cross roads) because by the time you turned the indicator on it you would already be off (thus confusing the other drivers)

On a large roundabout you indicate right to enter the roundabout and then indicate left just after the last exit before you wish to leave (though if turning off at the first exit alot of people just indicate left).

Also its against the law to change lanes on a round about, in general (in a two lane roundabout) the left lane either turns left only or turns left and straight through. The right lane goes straight through and turns right unless otherwise marked. For instance there is one near my house that comes straight off a freeway, because the trafic wasnt flowing they changed it so both lanes turn right. So on that roundabout the right lane goes right ONLY and the left lane goes left, straight and right

18. Steve100 O͓͍̯̬̯̙͈̟̥̳̩͒̆̿ͬ̑̀̓̿͋ͬ ̙̳ͅ ̫̪̳͔O Valued Senior Member

True Asguard, roundabouts which you can swap lanes on have forced lane swaps via lanes on the road, you shoud never swap lanes otherwise.

19. Pinocchio's Hoof Pay the Devil, or else.......£ Registered Senior Member

No you do not indicate at all to show you are staying in lane.....

If the lane has fixed white markings indicating turning left you must turn off, or indicate right to get into the correct lane.....

Mirror...Signal...Manouver if you are not going to move you do not signal

Last edited: Jun 17, 2008
  20. Pinocchio's Hoof Pay the Devil, or else.......£ Registered Senior Member

I also live in milton keynes (as does Pharoahmoan) but as the public transport system isn't up to scratch more and more people are driving to and from work (the school runs are a nightmare) making rushhour in MK a nightmare have you tried going south on the A5 between 5.30-6 the queue coming to the little chef roundabouts are a nightmare.....
    the traffic system in Mk I don't think was supposed to handle the volume of traffic that we have................go on you dons

21. Asguard Kiss my dark side Valued Senior Member

i have never understood the US fear of roundabouts. There are even used as speed traps in australia (ie there IS no crossing road, they just force you to slow down to go around)

22. vslayer Registered Senior Member

in canada they have 4 way stop signs instead of roundabouts, which i understand work exactly the same as roundabouts except you have to come to a complete stop. i did see one roundabout there, but it had about 3 signs saying "warning; rotary ahead" on approach to it.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

23. invert_nexus Ze do caixao Valued Senior Member

That's what I'm thinking. Roundabouts are nice for little sleepy roads, I suppose. But if any sort of volume is accumulated on a road the line gets backed up. Especially, I suppose, when you have roundabouts being fed by ordinary traffic lights up the street. That is, you have a seemingly endless line of cars feeding into a roundabout from a light up the street and you have to sit there and wait for them. Which means, basically, that you're waiting for the light up the street to turn red so that the line of cars ends. And, that's assuming that traffic turning onto that road from the other direction isn't equally heavy.

Wikipedia says that roundabouts are good for safety. But, I say fuck safety. I'm more concerned with getting to work on time.