Grrr.. More graphics problems.

Discussion in 'Computer Science & Culture' started by Challenger78, Jun 13, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Challenger78 Valued Senior Member

I've just installed a nvidia 8800 GT, And I sure as hell hope I didn't get a lemon. or that somehow some minute charge damaged it.

What's happening is that, no matter what game I play, from Crysis to World in Conflict, to Sins of a Solar empire, there will be a lag spike, 20 - 30 seconds into the game, and then it will leave, then return, every now and then. I've updated my drivers, reinstalled from an old one twice.

This never happened with my old 7900 GT.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Challenger78 Valued Senior Member

could it be a CPU issue ? all i know ,is that mine goes up to 3.0 ghz.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. darksidZz Valued Senior Member

Got computer working! Hopefully it stays that way, lol Got PSU tester and it tested ok, got new mobo but think that the sound may have been acting weird (reinstalling drivers at random) cuz I had a 120mm fan plugged into the onboard fan power. Or I just damaged it when I was messing with the risers that came right off the case (cuz I used the wrong size screw

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

Hope it's ok now

(

Wish u luck too

PS Vista was still acting all funnny with this setup, it was really fing weird. The screen would change red if I changed the UAC, it blinked red, so did minor stuff. It seems so much more stable on XP its' bizarre :L

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Mr.Spock Back from the dead Valued Senior Member

whats your processor? sounds like a bottle neck. could be a hardware problem.

8. Repo Man Valued Senior Member

9. Challenger78 Valued Senior Member

Intel Pentium 4 3.2 GHz

10. Challenger78 Valued Senior Member

11. Repo Man Valued Senior Member

12. Mr.Spock Back from the dead Valued Senior Member

if you are running at low resolutions(1024×768 for ex.) then im pretty sure its a bottleneck. try and raise the resolution-maybe it will help?

Last edited: Jun 15, 2008
  13. Stryder Keeper of "good" ideas. Valued Senior Member

Lag spikes in games aren't necessarily caused by the graphics card, what they can be caused by is either the Memory having bad addresses or being over sourced to other programs (Close background programs) or further still the actual Virtual RAM. If your Harddrive is slow, over filled or hasn't been de-fragmented in a long time it can affect performance.

Just to explain what I see:
    When you play a game as you move through levels your system attempts to precache textures. The higher quality the textures, the more RAM they consume. Some information is stored directly in the RAM while the rest is cached in a Paging file on your drive. If your system has too many programs running in the background then you have less available RAM, you also potentially limit your available paging file. On top of this there is the potential that RAM errors can cause problems or if the drive is over filled or slow it too can cause problems.

My suggestion is that you:
    • Delete any unnecessary files if you have less than 15% unused drive space. (Not systems files, I mean things like downloads you don't want any more, empty your internet cache's etc)
    • Defrag your drive
    • Close down any extra programs and use a site like www.blackviper.com to work out which unnecessary services you can stop. You can even CTRL-ALT-DEL and kill the explorer.exe process, this will remove your windows environment but you can reclaim it by CTRL-ALT-DELing later on and typing "explorer.exe" into the run dialogue.
    • By all means get a program to test your RAM to make sure it's not gone bad or has dodgy addresses. There are ways to REM out address ranges so they are not used, however most modern RAM checking software can do that for you.

14. Repo Man Valued Senior Member

The problems began with the new graphics card. An 8800 is going to be bottlenecked by a P4 3.2. But so was the 7900, just to a lesser degree.

Do you use a graphics benchmark program such as 3d Mark? If so, what was your score before and after? If not, go get one and run it. What is your score, and how does it compare to similarly equipped systems?

The link in my earlier post was an example of someone with a similar computer, where they had a strange problem after upgrading to an 8800 graphics card. A BIOS update cured their problem. You've mentioned wanting to upgrade to a dual core CPU, and you need to upgrade your BIOS to do that anyway (and a CPU upgrade will allow you to get full use out of your new graphics card). So worst case scenario is the update doesn't cure your graphics issue, but you are still ready for a new CPU. Best case scenario, it solves both issues.

15. Stryder Keeper of "good" ideas. Valued Senior Member

When you upgrade to a new card you obviously also attempt to use higher settings to put it through it's paces. If it's just going to perform at the same level as your old card, why bother upgrading?

This is why the suggestion about RAM and hard drive related
    points, after all higher settings means larger textures being used and perhaps a number of new shaders and other assorted visual extras. The simplest method would actually be to test the games on the same settings as used by the previous card to see if the lag stops, then you can find out if the problem is cache related.

16. Mr.Spock Back from the dead Valued Senior Member

a 8800 bottleneck will be higher then a 7900 one. its just sounds like a bottleneck because of an old processor, so if thats the case im pretty sure higher resolution will decrease the bottleneck. if not then thats obviously not the case.

17. Xelios We're setting you adrift idiot Registered Senior Member

I don't think it's a bottleneck, usually that slows the framrate down constantly, not just every 20 seconds. Sounds more like something in the background is periodically accessing the hard drive or using up other system resources. This might have been happening before but made more noticeable now that you're running games at higher framerates and quality settings.

Close down everything in the background that doesn't need to be running while you play, especially any anti-virus software, and see if that helps. If not I'd update the BIOS like Repo Man said, and do what Stryder suggests. Just be careful when flashing the BIOS, if you do it wrong you've got a big mess on your hands.

If nothing seems to help you could try running the Omega drivers instead of nVidias.

18. Challenger78 Valued Senior Member

An update so far.

Seems like Spock was right, I changed the resolution, and the lag seemed to have gone, but I have yet to run crysis with this resolution.

As for Repo Man, I did attempt to install the new drivers, but due to a my un tech savvyness, I just got a cmd box, which opened then closed, when I attempted to install the new drivers.

Oddly enough, my RAM usage really calmed down when i switched to a higher resolution, so did my idle CPU. I'm glad I didn't buy a new one.

EDIT: NO DICE. seems like it was a stopgap measure, As soon as I would re load a game, the lag returned.

Last edited: Jun 16, 2008
  19. Mr.Spock Back from the dead Valued Senior Member

at the same resolution? then its probably not a bottleneck.

20. darksidZz Valued Senior Member

eh? Sound like PSU weakness? Also it may be HD is IDE?

Either way you'll never solve it, this kinda thing usually requires a new system because nobody knows what the hell is causing it and they argue with eachother.

21. Challenger78 Valued Senior Member

yeah.
    PSU is rated for the graphic's card, and my HD's are SATA II.

22. Xelios We're setting you adrift idiot Registered Senior Member

You don't have Norton antivirus do you?

23. Challenger78 Valued Senior Member

LOL.

Yes, but I switched all non essential processes and disconnected my internet before playing.

I talked to a few friends, and most agree that I should get a new processor, but not before applying a BIOS update to my current motherboard.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.