I require advice on my PC trouble

Discussion in 'Computer Science & Culture' started by darksidZz, Jun 12, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. darksidZz Valued Senior Member

Stryder, anyone. Can you help me? Ever since I got this computer built there's been a single thing causing me to wonder if one of the hardware devices is faulty. Originally you all know I had the PSU set to 220v instead of 115v. It was like that for weeks before I noticed the system rebooting (I'd got a new videocard for it and stopped using the onboard one). So essentially it was operating in a mode it wasn't designed for, the question I have is this...

When I reboot (this happens at random) the onboard audio will be redetected by Windows as if it were never installed before. That's after it was properly installed using the latest drivers and after checking Device Manager to make certain it was listed. This happens to me at random and there seems to be no clue as to it's cause. The thing of it is the audio works fine once Windows is booted!

Now let me go into abit more detail, I've tried re-creating this problem by rebooting but to no avail. It is random completely...

I was considering that perhaps running the system with 220v instead of 115v could've damaged the components, I mean how the hell did it even boot up with that setting? In order to better understand this issue can someone please explain to me what happens to the PSU when I run it on 220v and it should be 115v? Is there a power loss or gain? Just tell me could the unit be over-stressed by this or not because if it was that might explain why the onboard audio isn't always active when Windows loads.

* Explanation 1 is the PSU is damaged and not supplying enough power to the mobo upon reboot, thus when Windows loads it redetects the onboard audio (once it is powered on fully) and considers it a new device. - I consider this unlikely, wouldn't the system just not start if it weren't receiving enough power?

Explanation #2 the other issue you're all thinking of is the drivers, but let me assure you I've used Windows Vista x64 and XP x32 both had the exact same thing occur! 2 versions of the same driver at different supported bits can't possibly both be faulty. - I conclude it is not the driver from this.

Explanation 3 it may be the hard drive was damaged and is causing the drivers for the onboard audio to become corrupt, but then no other drivers have done anything like this so I can't really say this makes any sense. Indeed I'd expect that if it were the HD there would not be so selective a loss to the data. A total of 5 times this has happened to me leading me to conclude it cannot be the HD.

Explanation 4 The mobo is damaged, somehow the setting of 220v damaged the onboard chipset for the audio. However the question becomes why would the audio work at all then if it were infact damaged? Also why would Windows even detect anything if it were damaged? - Because of this I conclude it simply cannot be the mobo, or if it is there's a very bizarre issue going on there.

Those are what I've come up with so far, let me explain further that when I initially got this mobo I had it running for around 2 weeks with the wrong voltage setting on the PSU. Can anyone shed light onto how the PSU was able to power the system that long and if it would become damaged as a result? I've never, ever heard of a PSU running a system with 220v as the setting (if the outlet was 115)

Anyway those are my concerns and thoughts on this rather bizarre issue. If you have any input let me know, I'm thinking of ordering a PSU tester but the thing of it is the system seems to be fine, only when I reboot does Windows sometimes randomly say "New Hardware Wizard Found" and begin reinstalling the drivers for the onboard audio (which erases all previous settings).

Thanks for your support (if you have the time)

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. draqon Banned Banned

DarkSidZz...remember the time when I told you not to buy the laptop? Why did you not listen to me?

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. domesticated om Stickler for details Valued Senior Member

Sounds like a faulty chip, or a short somewhere. I'd disable the on-board, and buy a sound card.

Integrated components suck. You can't simply replace the part ---- you have to fix the whole thing. It's easy to live with when it's something non-critical like a Firewire port or something similar. Sound is crucial.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. darksidZz Valued Senior Member

I only got 1 thing to say, it happened again but this time when it reinstalled the Sewer Pipe echo was activated, pretty darn hilarious!

8. draqon Banned Banned

DarkSidZZ will you listen to me...go and forget about the laptop, use the libraries computer. Save up money and get a good job, only than worry about things like that. And start working with your body, loose that weight.

9. Dr Mabuse Percipient Thaumaturgist Registered Senior Member

reboot the system into safe mode... this HAS to be done in safe mode...

go into device manager...

delete EVERY instance of driver in the 'sound, video and game controllers' section... delete EVERYTHING... hopefully you will notice multiple listings of your integrated audio...

after everything is deleted, reboot...

the drivers will be re-installed from the CAB's...

see if the problem persists...

10. MacGyver1968 Fixin' Shit that Ain't Broke Valued Senior Member

I think the problem is your computer is thirsty...Try giving it a drink of coke. Computers love coke. j/k

I'd do what Dr. M said. If that doesn't work, send it back for warranty.

11. darksidZz Valued Senior Member

Can't you answer me whether the PSU running with the wrong voltage set would damage it? In my case it was bizarre because it was set to 220v on a 115v outlet, how the hell did it power on anything? Perhaps it's not supplying the right current to the mobo (because it ran with the wrong voltage for weeks) and thereby the onboard audio chipset isn't active when windows boots?

I already tried your suggest though

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

12. Dr Mabuse Percipient Thaumaturgist Registered Senior Member

yes it could damage things... i had a similar situation, sorta/kinda where someone hooked a 220 APC SmartUPS 1400 to a PC of mine(don't ask)... only one PCI controller was fried... everything worked...

if it had fried the audio chip on your PC it would be on or off though, not needing driver re-installs... could be i suppose, but not very likely, extremely unlikely...
    did you notice the part about safe mode?... simply going into the device manager is NOT what i prescribed... there are 'ghost' drivers that corrupt out, and remain in windows causing problems, but hey do not show up in the higher level run modes of windows...

you have to be in safe mode, then delete everything...

just being thorough here...

13. darksidZz Valued Senior Member

You won't believe this, I decided to replace that mobo and see if it fixed this bizarre problem. I also ordered a PSU tester online to check that out. I've already tested the other system components so they're fine. But when I went to remove the processor from the mobo it pulled that sucker right out of the socket! I was amazed to see the processor fused to the heatsink!

I got it off eventually but let me ask, did this majorly screw it up? I mean why bother doing anything now if it's gonna be screwed anyways. But the funny thing is the pins are perfectly fine, I just wanna know what the heck the chances are it was damaged pulling it right out that way. I mean why the hell did it even release, lol

What a joke my life has become, haha.

Let's see, I know the cores are protected by that outer shell on the processor, but what the heck are the pins connected too????????? Could a pin actually get pulled off or out to much? What'cha think, lmao

Dragon is right I should just find some other way to live.

14. draqon Banned Banned

darksidZz, so now listen to me and act accordingly. If you need help contact me.

15. darksidZz Valued Senior Member

I got a new motherboard to replace the other new motherboard. This time it's an ASUS not MSI. I do think I have an idea what might've happened to the other one though, see when I initially installed it the motherboard tray risers were used but the wrong screws, so I went to take it out and the thing took those right off the case! I had one hell of a time getting them out. Anyways I think I might've damaged it that way because it was like impossible to unscrew them.

But also I plugged a 120mm fan into the onboard fan connection and I think that might've been bad, I read this ones manual and it said only 7 amps 12v max, these things are 12v and 19amps max. Oopsie

I'm going to burn-in test this one and we'll see how it goes.... to bad I took the processor right out with the heatsink, I hope it'll be alright.

Bye dragon I'll listen now

16. darksidZz Valued Senior Member

Oh yea, I also got a PSU tester and my PSU checked out AOK so that's fine :/

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.