DOD Notice

Discussion in 'Computer Science & Culture' started by Orleander, Jun 12, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Orleander OH JOY!!!! Valued Senior Member

At work I had to go to a web site. It had a Dept Of Defense notice. If I entered, I would be monitored. Now, am I monitored forever everywhere or only when I am on that web site?

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. draqon Banned Banned

I am sure they log your I.P address which is like your computer identification number, and can always trace you.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

I wouldn't worry about it, they just do that so others won't use that site to much.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Xelios We're setting you adrift idiot Registered Senior Member

You'll only be monitored on that website. They enter your IP address into their logs and might track what you do there, but once you leave their site you leave their servers, so they can't track you anymore. Even if they could, your IP address usually changes automatically once a day.

Though technically everyone in the US is being monitored all the time while on the internet or the phone. ISP's will be required to keep IP address records for 6 months pretty soon, so the government can always go back and look at what you were doing online on whatever day.

8. GeoffP Caput gerat lupinum Valued Senior Member

Usually, they also install cameras in your bathroom. One in the shower for YouTube, and one in the toilet for "home video" with the rest of the surveillance lab on Fridays. There will probably be some going through the trash and the usual alien probe implants to see just how much time you actually spend on the treadmill you guys bought last year but never seem to use. Finally, there could be a little personal hypnotic interrogation, but so long as no one ever asks you to play a little solitaire, you almost certainly have a 35% chance of not ending up on the roof with a scoped rifle.

Although in all seriousness, it's probably fine.

9. nietzschefan Thread Killer Valued Senior Member

Yup.

Carnivore

10. Stryder Keeper of "good" ideas. Valued Senior Member

Basically when you see a "Disclaimer" in regards to say the DOD or other government organizations, the reason for this is because certain individuals might be interested in information that they aren't suppose to have and they are the ones that such monitoring is for. For instance lets say a hacker attacks a particular network, they will likely have done homework on their intended target prior to the attack. This means someone that might think they are anonymous will leave a number of crucial breadcrumbs.

It's not just hackers, how about people selling official secrets or terrorists attempting to gleam information on potential targets. All those things too have to be investigated.

It's likely that your IPa would be logged and checked against a record of IP's listed as Anonymous or Rogue, if you are just a home user with nothing to hide it's less likely it will be too important, unless of course some National Security problem arises and you happen to be responsible. (By that time I would be less worried about finding bugs in your toilet than either men in Black suits turning up or a Battalion of well armoured men knocking down your door.)

11. joepistole Deacon Blues Valued Senior Member

Well let me ask you this, do you do the terrorist fist bump?

12. kmguru Staff Member

Read Richard Clarke's book the government failed you. That can give you what the government does. Yes, everything that can be monitored is monitored, but it goes to a blackhole until something happens.

13. Rick Valued Senior Member

Good point KM.

Rick

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.