Widescreens and Text?

Discussion in 'Computer Science & Culture' started by Carcano, Jun 10, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Carcano Valued Senior Member

I'm wondering if most websites nowadays are designed to be viewed in widescreen ratios?

If not, does the text look stretched?

Do I need a special XP update for more resolution options?

Will I no longer have to scroll left and right to read text?

I'm considering buying an HP w2207. I like the glossy finish too....seems to make it easier on the eyes somehow.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. draqon Banned Banned

I thought the settings configure the monitor automatically...

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Carcano Valued Senior Member

I can change the resolutions for my current LCD, but I dont see any widescreen options.

Last edited: Jun 10, 2008
  6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Repo Man Valued Senior Member

Your video hardware may not have the capability to run widescreen resolutions. If you are using on board video, it probably isn't capable of resolutions like 1440x900. You may have to buy a new video card as well.

8. John99 Banned Banned

you can try 1680 x 1050 if your monitor is 21 inches.

9. Carcano Valued Senior Member

I have an AGP video card. How do I go about determining whether its widescreen capable?

10. Carcano Valued Senior Member

There is no such setting on my version of XP...only 1600 x 1200 max.

11. Xelios We're setting you adrift idiot Registered Senior Member

You could try updating the video drivers, but it sounds like the card doesn't support widescreen resolutions.

Everything will look the same on a widescreen monitor, you just have more space on the sides to work with. If you run the widescreen monitor on a normal (4:3) resolution though it'll stretch the display and everything looks ugly.

12. Carcano Valued Senior Member

Would XP automatically give me widescreen resolution options IF the video card were capable?

13. Repo Man Valued Senior Member

Go to Start, enter devmgmt.msc, in the Run box, then click on the plus sign by Display Adapters. Once you know that, type it in to Google, then see if you can find the specifications, including the resolutions it is capable of. If you right click it and choose Properties, then look at the driver tab, you can see the details of the driver you are currently using, including how old it is. A newer driver (if available) may give you a better choice of resolutions.

14. Repo Man Valued Senior Member

Not necessarily. It really isn't up to the operating system - the hardware and the drivers determine that. When installed, Windows XP will install native drivers for some hardware that will allow it to function, but do not give you the full capabilities of that hardware. These drivers are only supposed to be temporary, and are meant to be replaced with drivers from the manufacturer that allow the hardware to function fully

15. Carcano Valued Senior Member

Its a Radeon 9200SE...I looked it up.
    Its capable for only one widescreen (16:9) resolution of 1920 x 1080.

Thats the only one listed anyway.

16. Carcano Valued Senior Member

I tried updating the drivers for the video card but none are available.

So all new widescreen monitors should come with software supporting widescreen resolutions for XP???

17. John99 Banned Banned

You dont need to use 16:9 compatible.

At 1920x1080 your resoluti0on is 210 pixels wider than 1680 x 1050. I think you are stretching too much.

18. Carcano Valued Senior Member

Thats the most common widescreen standard...although Ive read some notebooks are coming out with even longer ratios.

19. John99 Banned Banned

My monitor is 20inch ViewSonic and 1680 x 1050 was set by OS. Your usin a note book? 17inch with 1440 x 900 should be right.

20. Repo Man Valued Senior Member

The monitor has a driver as well. If you do not have a wide screen monitor now, you are not going to see resolutions that your present monitor isn't capable of supporting.

1920x1080 (which is very high) is almost certainly the maximum resolution the GPU is capable of. Lesser ratios, such as 1440x900 will also work, but won't be displayed as a choice without the installation of a monitor that can run such a high resolution. With my X1950 Pro video card, and my ViewSonic widescreen, my max resolution is 1680x1050, which is what I'm running. If I go to my Display Settings, hit the Advanced tab, then choose the Monitor tab, I can clear the box that says Hide Modes That This Monitor Cannot Display. Then go to the Adapter tab and click on the List All Modes box. You will now see all resolutions your video card is capable of.

Last edited: Jun 10, 2008
  21. Carcano Valued Senior Member

Thats the key info I was looking for...thanks!

I cleared the box and now see all the widescreen options available...just not for this screen.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.