lmao - Is my PC alright

Discussion in 'Computer Science & Culture' started by darksidZz, Jun 8, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. darksidZz Valued Senior Member

I ran the darn thing with the 230 volt setting instead of 115, it ran fine but when I would try doing the windows experience index test it crashed. So I would try like 4 more times and I've been running this sucker with the wrong voltage setting for weeks, you think it's alright or what would happen to a component with the wrong power?

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. draqon Banned Banned

...it might have fried...

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. darksidZz Valued Senior Member

Jesus dragon what I meant was simple enough. If I was somehow able to actually boot my PC even with the wrong voltage on the PSU set is it ok or can damage result. Everywhere I've read so far says that if you are in a country using 115 volts and set it to 220 volts nothing really will be damaged. But they also said it wouldn't boot that way either!! This thing actually booted with the wrong voltage setting, from what I know that should've been impossible?!

So what the heck is going on here? How did it even boot!

Well it seems stable for now, maybe I'll do a 3 day burn-in just to check ehh, lol Yea the noise would be enough to drive you crazy.

Any thoughts Stryder?

Real questions would be:

1. If you boot a PC using 220 volts in a 115 volt country and it actually runs can damage result to anything other than the PSU?
    2. How can it possibly boot with that setting, it never has in anywhere I've read?
    3. Does underpowering a component cause it damage, such as this setting being incorrect. I assume it was underpowered and so that's why the thing would crash whenever I ran Windows Experience Index, it always failed at testing the Aero.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Blue_UK Drifting Mind Valued Senior Member

The PSU converts voltages - if you set it to 220, then it will give a lower voltage than it should, since you're already giving it a cut voltage from what it expects.

The chances are, that your PSU contains a buck converter. Halving the input voltage should render low output voltages so I'm surprised that it actually booted.

A PC's harddrive is the most sensitive part to lowered voltages in my experience - The 5V channel needs to be at least 4.7 or so for it to think about working - I dropped my old PC once (fell off window ledge), and it caused a permanent small short circuit that reduced the voltage to just below this. The computer booted but the HDD would fail randomly.

8. Blue_UK Drifting Mind Valued Senior Member

Also - you say it failed on the Windows experience? Stress-tests are more power hungry than leaving a computer idle or using simple applications - when you use more power than the PSU is willing to give, the voltage drops further.

9. Stryder Keeper of "good" ideas. Valued Senior Member

To add to Blue's comments, I'd suggest that you were less likely to cause damage via "under powering" than the inverse. If you'd had a 220v supply and tried running at 115v then you would of likely had a fuse blow. Since you were under powering it, it's likely that it was within safety perimeters of the Systems design so would have caused any major trauma's.

I wouldn't suggest anyone flick the switch between the two power modes while the system was on, and never try to over power it, otherwise you'll likely need to replace a fuse if not your system.

10. darksidZz Valued Senior Member

That's just it, everything ran fine until I ran that test. Hell I even did a burn-in test using Sisoft Sandra for 1 day!

Pretty freakin weird huh? So would it damage anything on the mobo, I mean weird.

11. Carcano Valued Senior Member

Just what you need huh?
    You should have looked into silent PC options.

12. darksidZz Valued Senior Member

lmao, I should've done alot of things

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.