what Linux distro do you use?

Discussion in 'Computer Science & Culture' started by Creeptology, Jun 6, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Creeptology Registered Member

I am setting up a new comp and switching distros. I mainly use slackware and pclos 2007. I like slack although it can be a pain to get everything configured well compared to more bloated all services running out the box and automated everything ones. I like pclos for other machine since wife doesn't know that much and prefers something she can setup without asking me. It seems fast and easy to setup without messing, however the repos are not that up to date and switching kernels is a pain on pclos.

I haven't set linux up on new machine (old one off a friend and he put xp in already) and am thinking of trying zenwalk (downloading as I type). Seems fast and stable from what I read with new libs and software and repos seem like they are more up to date than pclos.

What distro are people using and what do you think of zenwalk? Is it much different to slack (it's a fork from slack I believe).

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. s0meguy Worship me or suffer eternally Valued Senior Member

I recently switched to Ubuntu. Everything worked out of the box for me. Why people would need any other distro is beyond me...

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Creeptology Registered Member

I don't like ubuntu myself, tried it a few times. Main problem is it's slow and isn't always stable.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Rick Valued Senior Member

Tried Fedora Core 9 doesnt work well with NVIDIA so trying CentOS.

8. Kayyam Registered Member

I have been using Suse for years. Love it on the desktop for work but am never quite satisfied on the personal laptop. I am ready to give the new Ubuntu a whirl, once I get around to backing up my file system...

/Kayyam

9. Rick Valued Senior Member

Hey,

About Suse, i tried installing it, but it wont let me partition my disk ... is that how it is or am i missing something? (i already have a FC9 and Windows Vista Ultimate 64 installed) with RAID 1.

Just wondering, i have the DVD and i liked the interface for SUSE ...
    Rick

10. Vkothii Banned Banned

A point that should be made about linux: some mobo makers do all kinds of weird and wonderful things that a brain-dead OS like Vista is "perfectly happy" with, but some linux distros spit the dummy. Various BIOS tweaks and so on. APIC is a bit of a non-starter for Ubuntu, Knoppix and some others on this cheapo ASUS I bought.

Just thought I'd let you know.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.