Running as Administrator

Discussion in 'Computer Science & Culture' started by MacGyver1968, Jun 6, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MacGyver1968 Fixin' Shit that Ain't Broke Valued Senior Member

No...I'm not campaigning for head position of the board,

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

I noticed that running some programs in Windows Vista in "regular mode" can cause problems. (My vent program wasn't working properly) In order to get them to function properly you have to right click and "Run as Administrator".

Does anyone know what the difference is?...and is it possible, (or advisable) to automatically run everything as admin?

Thanks,

Mac

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. phlogistician Banned Banned

It's Vista nannying to a degree, and not using your full admin rights all the time, lest you download some trojan. Safest best is to run installs of trusted software as admin, and regular software should work without admin privs. I guess some software might bug out if it's installed by an admin, and persmissions files for admin use, when regular users try to use it, but that is a crappy install routine. You could open up the permissions on the .exe's and .dll's 'vent' uses (right click, 'properties' 'security' tab, and look for whatever username you log on with, and make sure you have 'full control'), and try and run it in regular mode, and see what happens.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.