N95 8 GB or an Iphone.

Discussion in 'Computer Science & Culture' started by Challenger78, Jun 6, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Challenger78 Valued Senior Member

Well, I just got an N96 8gb. But could I have gotten the same price for an Iphone ? It cost a grand here in Australia.

And what are the benefits of an iphone anyway?

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. draqon Banned Banned

dont buy any of it...save the money for icecream or other good stuff

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. phlogistician Banned Banned

The Iphone isn't that good. Sure, it has a flashy interface, but it's only available as a 2G model at the moment, vs 3G for the Nokia, and the Nokia has GPS, and you can't even get a GPS add-on for the Iphone, because the Bluetooth stack only supports headsets, not data xfer.

And of course you are locked to one provider with an Iphone, and the tarifs aren't as good as you'd get for other phones, 'cos Apple are skimming that too.

Your N96 wups the ass of the Iphone, in every aspect. You can play video out to a TV from your N96 using the supplied RCA cables. Only Iphones with a more recent software level have working TV-out, and Apple mess about with the labelling on their own brand RCA leads. Any will work, but the pin outs are different, so you have to swap them about on a regular set to work, how annoying, and petty is that of Apple? I don't think you get the cable with the Iphone either, you have to buy it (I know my other half didn't get the cable supplied with her Ipod video, Apple being tight bastards, they didn't even supply a wall charger, or a CD with iTunes on, you had to go and download that, which is silly, because most folks just want to put the music they own on CD on their Ipod, and not buy DRM laden, restricted format arse from Apple)

Also you got 8Gb on a memory card, which you can quickly swap over, so have one for films, and another for music, and they are nice and cheap. Oh, and you can get spare batteries for your Nokia.

My only gripe (and this is for the N95, my other half has one) is that it doesn't charge from the mini-usb connection, so I had to buy another charger for the car, so she can use her sat nav. Minor gripe, cost a few quid to fix, but it means another charger laying about, and taking two chargers on holiday too. Boo. But a minor boo. I had to buy a wall charger for her Ipod too, so I guess I can't grumble.

Oh, and just for laughs, go to Apples Ipod page;

http://www.apple.com/support/iphone/

How many phones have a 'trouble shooting guide' as one of the foremost links on the page? It's a bit of an admission that the Iphone is a donkey!

You made the right decision, only fashion victims have Iphones.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. s0meguy Worship me or suffer eternally Valued Senior Member

I did get a wall charger with my iPhone. Also I really like the touchscreen, N96 doesn't have that right? You're not stuck to one provider if you have an iPhone, and there is an application for the iPhone that calculates your position using nearby transmitters, but that doesn't work well in areas with too few transmitters overlapping each other.

8. phlogistician Banned Banned

It was my gf's Ipod I had to buy the extra charger for though, and I bet you didn't get RCA cables with your Iphone did you?

No it doesn't, and switching from my HTC PDA Phone to my other halfs N95 I kinda miss that, but the N95 is easy to operate without one.

Ah, you are in the UK and America, you can't choose which network you want, and are locked to one. Yes, there are hacks, but Apple also try to seal those up, and you are bound to the original contract regardless.

Assisted GPS, the Motorola A1000 had that, ... not great. I have full satellite navigation on my PDA phone, not dependant on the cellular network.

The Iphone isn't a great phone, it's whizz bang interface is all that it has going for it. Let the fashion victims debug it, and think about getting one when they fix the ROM and get 3G on it. Oh you already have one. Bad luck.

9. Challenger78 Valued Senior Member

I don't think it has a 8gb memory card, It's internal mass memory.

Damn, I scratched the bottom, while skiing, Oh well.

10. phlogistician Banned Banned

Ah, cool, so you can still add SDHC cards and get more storage. The N95 accepts SDHC, which means you aren't limited to 2Gb SD cards, and can use SDHC cards up to 16Gb, which rocks. Oh, and crushes the Iphone, which truly does suck.

11. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

I'm sorry but I own a 16 GB Iphone right now. I bought it 2 months ago and am very satisfied with it. I get pretty good reception everywhere I go and I use it for many things, texing, Emails, web surfing etc, etc..

12. phlogistician Banned Banned

A lot of Apple victims are pleased with their Iphones,... when they work.

There's no getting around it, the Iphone is flashy crap, with a snag list of failures and things it should do better as long as your arm.

There are many, many phones on the market that beat the Iphone hands down, cost less, do more, and are available on better tarifs.

The 3G Iphone is out soon. We'll see if they ironed out the wrinkles, or whether it's a whole new piece of crap.

13. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

To be sure, the 3G iPhone announced during yesterday's WWDC keynote is a big improvement over the original. But there are still a few detractors to keep certain people away. Here are five reasons explaining why you may want to avoid the 3G iPhone.

5. The Camera. Apple made no improvements to the camera at all, and not even to the camera's software. Many of the world's top converged devices have cameras that range between 3 and 5 megapixels. The iPhone's 2-megapixel shooter is really a bare bones camera for such an advanced device. There's also no flash and no vanity mirror. On top of that, the software controlling the iPhone's camera includes no ability to make any adjustments to the shooting process or the camera's settings. You can't dial down the resolution, the quality, adjust white balance, or perform any other changes that even "free" phones can make. That's just poor. Perhaps Apple is relying on third-party app developers to create better camera software. Personally, I'd rather have Apple-developed camera software, and Apple didn't deliver.

4. The Price. Yes, the price. I know the device costs $200 less than it did yesterday morning, but that's not taking into consideration the additional $240 you'll be paying for that data contract over two years. The total cost to own the device for two years just went up by $40. If price was the only thing keeping you away from the original iPhone, just know that it ain't cheaper at all. Of course, you can't forget the new rules. 3G iPhones need to be purchased and activated in AT&T (NYSE: T) or Apple stores. No unlocking, two year-contracts mandatory.

3. Still no keyboard. The iPhone's software keyboard has documented issues. It's simply harder to use than Apple says it is. I've owned an iPhone for a year and still have trouble with it. So do many others.

2. Lack of other upgrades. Still no stereo Bluetooth, still no MMS, still no video recording, still no character counter in the SMS app, still no IM capability, still no cut-and-paste, etc. Many of these features may be offered via third-party apps in the future, but that is not known for certain.

1. The 3G radio. Yes, I am going to complain about the 3G radio. Apple stuck a UMTS/HSDPA 3G radio in the iPhone. Kudos to Apple for at least making it a tri-band radio, meaning you'll be able to roam between North America, South America, Australia, Europe and many other regions of the world and still have access to 3G. But Apple could have done better. How? What about including a radio that can handle AT&T's HSPA network, meaning faster uploads for all those pictures and emails? What about supporting faster versions of HSDPA. Right now, the iPhone's 3G radio supports the lowest HSDPA speed, which is about 1.8Mbps for downloads in optimal conditions. Other 3G phones available from AT&T support 3.6Mbps download speeds, and yet others on the market support 7.2Mbps downloads. The 3G iPhone may in fact have a 3G radio in it, but it is of the lowest quality. Apple should have supplied a better chip. And it should go without saying, but I am going to say it anyway: If you don't live in an area blanketed by AT&T's 3G network, upgrading to 3G won't do you any good.

http://www.informationweek.com/blog/main/archives/2008/06/five_reasons_no.html

14. s0meguy Worship me or suffer eternally Valued Senior Member

This one at least is a load of crap. I own an iPhone and I have no issues at all with it, I love it. I would NEVER want a standard 1 to 9 pad again and DEFINITELY NOT sacrifice screen size for it. I do not have issues with it. Sounds like the guy is lying about him owning an iPhone for a year.

15. Challenger78 Valued Senior Member

Cosmic

"2. Lack of other upgrades. Still no stereo Bluetooth, still no MMS, still no video recording, still no character counter in the SMS app, still no IM capability, still no cut-and-paste, etc. Many of these features may be offered via third-party apps in the future, but that is not known for certain."

Are you serious ? I can MMS, and cut and paste on my N 95 all day long. Now if i could only figure out the Msn bit.

16. phlogistician Banned Banned

My previous Qtek PDA/phone had a slide out keyboard, and there was a thinner version without. I kinda miss the slide out, but it did make the phone bulkier, ... but guess what, .. as a customer, a consumer, Qtek made several products and gave me the choice! Whereas Apple just make one inferior product and hyped it.

The next version of my current PDA/phone has a thinner slide out, and I will upgrade to one of those when my contract is up. I'm only tied into 18months, my phone isn't locked, and I get more minutes, texts, and download than I can use, whereas the same priced Iphone tarif is really mean.

On cameras, the N95 has 5Mp, and takes really good pics. My PDA phone is 2Mp, and has some cool options, like the 'sport' mode that takes a bunch of pictures in a row, so you don't miss the action, a self timer, colour/brightness balance options, and of course, it takes videos.

All the Iphone has going for it, is a flashy interface, and if you want a flashy interface, you can get a superior Qtek/HTC phone, and install 'Pointui', which does all the sliding and zooming that the Iphone interface does. Oh, and of course, with a Qtek or HTC, you can download and run software that does stuff, because people develop real software for them. For instance, I can remote control Windows Media Player on my PC, from my phone, over the WiFi connection, or logon to my PC using the terminal services client on my phone. I can telnet and ftp to any of the computers I have on my network. I can pick up network shares from my PC, and listen to any .mp3 I have, it doesn't have to reside on my phone.

The Iphone really, really, lacks functionality, especially considering how much you get reamed for owning one.

17. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

I just found out that there's going to be an update for the old Iphone to have new software to be downloaded to upgrade the web surfing speed to the new system that the new Iphone will be using. It will be at ITunes on July 12 or so. That will help with the speed of trying to download and search for stuff.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

18. s0meguy Worship me or suffer eternally Valued Senior Member

Well for now I just wanna say, there are plenty of 3rd party applications that allow this. I can run VNC on my iphone and control my computer as if I was behind my computer too, and there is a terminal app too that lets you ssh to your pc, from which point pretty much anything is possible. Also apple released a sdk for everyone to use, not just corporations, did the guys that made that phone also do that?

There are apps that allow you to use any kind of instant messenger, IRC, instantly upload pictures to a flickr account, make movies with the iphone camera, advanced camera software (lets you adjust light exposure etc), you can also run emulators on it for playstation games, all kinds of gameboy games, NES, SNES. I can also use it as a PDF reader but I suppose that isn't that special, but the iphones zoom in interface makes it a nice experience. I have dictionaries of lots of languages on my iphone, including translate dictionaries, encyclopedias, there's motion sensors in the iphone that let you play around in physics emulators, scientific calculator emulators, nice interface for mail, internet and ipod. There's a RSS reader. and there's lots of more stuff.

The software keyboard for the touch interface is also really nice, if you can type quickly on a computer you know where the keys are and you get used to it quickly.

Oh and about MMS, there are 3rd party apps that add that too.

Many unix apps and utilities have been ported to iphone. Heck you can even configure your iphone as a mail/proxy server with some 3rd party apps, whatever the use of that is lol. Apache is pretty cool, lets people see your webpage when your connected to wifi. But apache is pretty heavy on the batteries so there's plenty of other webserver apps for the iphone out there.

There's a voicedial app, also pretty cool. There's applications to monitor all kinds of stuff, from ebay to stocks to currencies to economies.

Still think that little phone of yours can beat that all?

What about the installer app. Do any of the phones that you or any of the other iphone critics have something similar to that?

Last edited: Jun 13, 2008
  19. phlogistician Banned Banned

3rd party Apps. Yeah, you have to buy or download a bunch of shareware.

Windows Mobile has native support for nearly all of the things you mention, plus there are 3rd party apps too.

Most users don't want to have to do seek software to make their phone function as well as other phones do out of the box. That's a real slack attitude by Apple if they are letting 3rd parties make up for the deficiencies in their phones.

20. s0meguy Worship me or suffer eternally Valued Senior Member

everything that i mentioned in my previous post is freely downloadable using a installer application that is easily accessible and with easy interface in the iphone itself. you can install it (and unlock the iphone) by connecting it to a computer by usb and running a simple application. wow, is that so hard?

bottom line, you just wanna bash the iphone or justify your decision that you bought something else to yourself.

21. Rick Valued Senior Member

I was third in the line of first customers who bought iPhone for 599$. I love it, but i would have loved it more if they have more features and they update their software regularly.

iPhone 2.0 seems to be good update. Lets see how it goes.

Rick

22. phlogistician Banned Banned

No, I'm just pointing out that the Iphone lacks native features, is buggy, expensive, on expensive tarifs, and didn't justify the hype.

Most users don't want to have to download stuff to make up for the lack of features for their phones, and if Apple were relying on that to make up for the lack of features, that's really poor service.

23. fleix123 Registered Member

I-Phone is Nice Mobile..It's Apple Make...I am using Both Nokia's N96 and Apple's I-Phone Mobile...Nokia is user friendly mobile..But I-Phone is for advanced users with many advanced Features...I-Phone is Suitable for official use..I bought the Nokia at eBay.com and I-Phone at same place,So You can check out the Prices for I-Phone Either in Amazon or eBay.com...

Note :while buying I-Phone or Nokia Unlocked Piece is useful one...I unlocked my Nokia at theunlockarena.com

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.