Help Me Block Spammers!!

Discussion in 'Computer Science & Culture' started by Diode-Man, Jun 4, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Diode-Man Awesome User Title Registered Senior Member

Does anyone know how to block a range of IP addresses, either using windows or a free program? I have a program that shows me what IP addresses are remotely pinging my computer, one which I did a IP WHOIS for indicated that it came from the Asian Pacific Network. On that WHOIS statement is reads:

"** IMPORTANT NOTE: APNIC is the Regional Internet Registry
    for the Asia Pacific region. APNIC does not operate networks
    using this IP address range and is not able to investigate
    spam or abuse reports relating to these addresses." This is bullshit, the WHOIS said it came from the APNIC

The address appears and disappears quickly on my IP watch program called "Active Ports" Upon going to the WHOIS it gave me a range of the IP addresses which are from the Asian Pacific Network, and I need a free program to block that garbage in this IP range: 58.0.0.0 - 58.255.255.255

(once I did some tracking down and tracing of IP addresses that would ping my computer, it routed clear to Australia, then to New Zealand then through Amsterdam, after that, I saw a picture of a fat kid sitting on his computer, somewhere in Amsterdam (just kidding on that last part)) But what was crazy is the program I had could block ANY IP address from accessing this computer EXCEPT FOR that one that was remotely accessing! What bullshit!

Last edited: Jun 4, 2008
  2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. draqon Banned Banned

...and what will you do once they change the IP address?...

Just change your IP address instead

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Diode-Man Awesome User Title Registered Senior Member

No no, I'm just going to block all the addresses in this huge IP range of: 58.0.0.0 - 58.255.255.255 all of which are from the Asian Pacific Network

Okok... what would I do to change my own IP? Once I asked my ISP if they could change it for me and they denied me that.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. draqon Banned Banned

change ur ISP

8. domesticated om Stickler for details Valued Senior Member

What sort of spam are you receiving motherbrain?

9. RubiksMaster Real eyes realize real lies Registered Senior Member

If you change your IP address, chances are it won't matter.

I don't understand if you are talking about email spam or inbound packets to your computer. What specifically do you want to block?

10. Stryder Keeper of "good" ideas. Valued Senior Member

Download a third party firewall that has a user friendly IP blocking interface...
    or get down and dirty with your chosen OS (not for the faint hearted) by using IP Security Filters.

http://www.securityfocus.com/infocus/1559

failing that get a Router with a Firewall that has a Packet Filter than can block IP's and Ranges.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.