Best software for comp maintenence

Discussion in 'Computer Science & Culture' started by skaught, Jun 1, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. skaught The field its covered in blood Valued Senior Member

I need some kick ass anti virus/anti spyware/anti adware/ software. Whats the best to get a deep down clean of all this shit!

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. redarmy11 Registered Senior Member

format.com

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. draqon Banned Banned

skaught...the best thing to do is to format you harddrive and reinstall windows.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. skaught The field its covered in blood Valued Senior Member

My computer works fine, but my GFs mom wants me to service her comp. Its is FUCKED!!!

8. draqon Banned Banned

listened to me brother, go and format it and reinstall windows. its easy.

9. skaught The field its covered in blood Valued Senior Member

Oh I've done that many times on many computers. But her kids have so much stuff saved and installed on the comp, they dont want to loose it all.

10. draqon Banned Banned

well than save it on another harddrive

11. Repo Man Valued Senior Member

12. Creeptology Registered Member

AVG is terrible, use avira. I recently found stuff with avira that avg missed for years (literally).

13. skaught The field its covered in blood Valued Senior Member

Got one I can use???

14. Creeptology Registered Member

fuck reinstalling! People advise that so often when it's not necessary. Just disconnect from net, clean all caches and temp folders (ccleaner and atf cleaner should do it), run avira scan, then spyware/adware scan etc, then clean up reg and finally run defrag like diskeeper). If in doubt run hijackthis and save log and submit to an analysis site (human analysis not auto, auto HJ analysis is not so good) and people will check it to make sure there are no rootkits etc running.

15. Repo Man Valued Senior Member

The latest version of Spybot is very good. I've had to format and reinstall to get rid of Vundo infestations (after spending hours trying every anti virus and spyware scanner I could find, it still had pop unders as soon as you opened a web browser). The last computer I dealt with that had Vundo was completely cleaned by running Spybot.

Last edited: Jun 2, 2008
  16. RubiksMaster Real eyes realize real lies Registered Senior Member

Amen to that!

You can almost always save yourself a reinstall if you just put a little effort into it.

17. skaught The field its covered in blood Valued Senior Member

Know a good place to download Avira, and ATF?

18. Creeptology Registered Member

19. skaught The field its covered in blood Valued Senior Member

Sweet! Thanks a lot Creep! (feels weird to thank someone and then call them creep

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

)

I've been using ccleaner and Window Washer on my comp. But I can't put window washer on my GFs moms computer. I did put CCleaner on it. It found 1025 errors!!!!!!!! I also put Ad-Aware on it, and it found over 800 malicious spyware/adware shit!!!!!
    But yeah, its still running terribly slow...
    I'll try those two though, and see if they help.

Thanks again to everyone

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

20. Creeptology Registered Member

also try installing firefox with "looks familiar" theme and make it look like explorer, use ie icons pack and use firesomething to change branding. Then put adblock and updater in with silent never notify again updates and ietab and any other appropriate extensions. I find on peoples comps who don't know too much changing the browser and hidding some security/privacy processes helps, should cut down on spyware and the like at least.

To speed up slim down boot service and kill unneeded services and run rootkit revealer or HJ log and submit for analysis (spots many rootkits and like).

21. skaught The field its covered in blood Valued Senior Member

You are my new computer guru!

22. Creeptology Registered Member

That's unsettling! Hehehe only joking, I don't know loads but hope I can help and glad to be of assistance.

23. Stryder Keeper of "good" ideas. Valued Senior Member

This is probably the first thing that anyone *Administrating* an Operating system should learn. Every processes can be seen as a potential for being exploited, the more processes you run the more open to attacks you can become.

This is why the mainstream Linux lobbyists love their OS's so much because on installation the majority are barebones to work on and build up from. (although a few of the more GUI orientated installs are bundled with software)

Some processes in XP/Vista you can safely disable from ever running again, others you might want to place into Manual mode and stop them from running automatically. Others unfortunately you have to run for various functions of the OS.

Lessening the ones running doesn't just secure your system from potential attacks but also speeds up your system by freeing up CPU cycles and both Memory and Hard drive space is freed up too.

Lastly some installations like OS updates like to hang if lots of processes are running in say XP. (Notoriously taking a Vanilla XP install and trying to install via the update website SP1.) Running less processes can help stop the hangs. (Although the actual fix is to download the SP1 installation thats meant for multiple computers, Turn of autoupdates and install SP1 in SAFEMODE.)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.