Touchscreen vs. mouse

Discussion in 'Computer Science & Culture' started by Syzygys, May 30, 2008.

?

What would you prefer?

1. Mouse

16 vote(s)
    66.7%
  2. Touchscreen

8 vote(s)
    33.3%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Syzygys As a mother, I am telling you Valued Senior Member

I still prefer my mouse over touchscreen. Can I put data in from sitting back in my chair? No!

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/wor...-Gates-signals-end-of-the-computer-mouse.html

"Windows 7 aims to build on the success of the touch screen systems developed by Microsoft's rival Apple's iPhone.

Microsoft users will issue commands by touching the screen rather than by the traditional keyboard and mouse combination, which has dominated since the 1970s."

Is Bill wrong again?:

At a conference in Canada this week, Bill Gates, Microsoft's billionaire chairman, said: "The way you interact with the system will change dramatically."

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Oli Heute der Enteteich... Registered Senior Member

Touchscreen?
    Oops, gorilla-arm epidemic on the way.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Blue_UK Drifting Mind Valued Senior Member

At an old job, we had touch screens + mice. The touch screen was convenient for pressing sequences of buttons quite quickly. With the back of the hand facing the screen you can quite accurately tap the back of a nail on even small buttons.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. alexb123 The Amish web page is fast! Valued Senior Member

Sitting at my desk now it would not be comfortable to have to start poking my screen. Ity would only be of benefit if I wanted to do two things at once on the screen.

I really do not see the point of this. Touch screen has been around for about 15 years or more and never taken off so why should it now?

The next big interaction with computers should be voice, which is very close to being workable.

8. draqon Banned Banned

I prefer touchscreen, its always there...doesnt make sound and is quick ( and I voted there for touchscreen )

9. Syzygys As a mother, I am telling you Valued Senior Member

Not to mention you need a new monitor for it. A new mouse is what, like $10?

10. Enmos Valued Senior Member

Mouse, definitely..

11. kmguru Staff Member

The last project I was on, they gave me a tablet computer. When used in that mode, I would prefer the touch rather than stylus input.

Most industrial computers are based on touchscreen inputs. This will make it better to make things move left right stretch etc.

Then there will be hand gestures using two IR bank sensors or may be low power lasers

12. Creeptology Registered Member

Mouse by far. However tablets can be more useful sometimes as long as they are small-ish, big graphics tablets are awkward and not as easy on the wrist and you have to move too much to cover the screen.

13. EndLightEnd This too shall pass. Registered Senior Member

14. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

If someone were to buy me a touch screen I'd use it but would rather keep my mouse for many reasons. When I play games I enjoy using the mouse to maneuver my people or objects around which you cannot do with a touch screen I don't believe. To copy and paste also requires a mouse but perhaps they can somehow make the touchscreen work that out. There are things which the touchscreen would be ideal for just as using a mouse would be ideal for others things.

15. Rick Valued Senior Member

I was a skeptic when it comes to a touch screen cuz of smudges and other things, ever since i started using iPhone, i am beginning to like it more an more.

It depends on the type of work your doing off course.
    Rick

16. alexb123 The Amish web page is fast! Valued Senior Member

Lol That was a great advert for why touch screen is crap. Why would you want to interact with a lava lamp? Why would you want to make a blob you can move? And why would you have your photo in such a disorganized pile on your desk top? It was just to make it look good. Oh the map thing looked ok but thats about it.

17. Syzygys As a mother, I am telling you Valued Senior Member

I don't have a problem with touchscreening a small device, but for a desktop it is ridiculous. To imagine that people will sit with stretched arms to manipulate the screen is just stupid....

18. draqon Banned Banned

not sure I understand you there Syzygys...

A touchscreen can go as far as...infrared detection, infrared sensoring on any surface acting as a mouse...just like the "infrared keyboard"

I am much more pleased to use touschscreen, it is quick, easy to use, and the future...

19. alexb123 The Amish web page is fast! Valued Senior Member

If touch screen was so great that demo would have shown it being used with windows for everyday functions, not blob poking.

Also the keyboard would be hard to use without clear spaces between keys you would hit the wrong keys far too often.

20. draqon Banned Banned

An infrared projected mouse and keyboard can take care of that...by allowing custamizible key projection in area you wish it to be projected at. Same goes for the touchscreen.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

21. Syzygys As a mother, I am telling you Valued Senior Member

Infrared is not touchscreen, at least not the way I view it. Touchscreen is touching the screen. When I sit back in my chair, I only want to touch myself, not the freaking screen...

22. draqon Banned Banned

*backs away, slowly*

23. phlogistician Banned Banned

Dude, imagine it, a six foot wide touchscreen, .. we'll all stand around in black jumpsuits, with bluetooth headsets, waving our arms around like they did in 'Minority Report', and try and achieve something, ... somehow, ... without a keyboard, .... hmmm, no, you're right, the applications are limited, apart from looking like a wanker in some SciFi flick, of course.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.