1usd = 1,63 Brl

Discussion in 'Free Thoughts' started by Varda, May 30, 2008.

1. Varda The Bug Lady Valued Senior Member

Can't wait until I can hire americans to do my yard work

2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. invert_nexus Ze do caixao Valued Senior Member

I'll do it for 20 bucks an hour.
    Plane fare and hotel fees, as well.

4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Varda The Bug Lady Valued Senior Member

20USD, right?

*waits*

6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. francois Schwat? Registered Senior Member

You're gonna do well here. You've got the whole dual income thing going on and you're an engineer, right? I'll do your yard work for $20 per hour. I'm making $18 for now, but I just began my career and just about to get my BS.

8. Varda The Bug Lady Valued Senior Member

I've been working with banking systems development for the past 3 years, I think I will do fine. I'll continue to freelance for the company that is currently employing me even after I move though, so I have a good fallback in case I can't get someone to hire me over there.

I'm saddened by the weakening of US economy actually... just now that I'm moving there! Come on US, put it together!

9. 15ofthe19 35 year old virgin Registered Senior Member

You could always model and make a ton of money. You've got the looks.

10. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

Who the hell pays $20 an hour for yard work?

11. John99 Banned Banned

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

eleted:

that was bad- i'm sorry

Last edited: May 30, 2008
  12. 2inquisitive The Devil is in the details Registered Senior Member

In the US, most businesses, some government owned properties such as small parks and historical landmarks that do not have full-time maintenance crews, plus some wealthy individuals and those that are not physically healthy enough to do their own yardwork.

Where I live, the teenagers that used to come by asking to cut grass in my neighborhood no longer show up (the internet? the high cost of equipment? :shrug

. The yardwork is now mostly done by small businesses that buy large varieties of expensive mowers, weedeaters, edgers, etc. They also buy flatbed trailers and trucks, which they have their business name and phone numbers painted on the doors. Their services are expensive.

I have always done my own yardwork and most middle-income homeowners are now like me. I have a couple of neighbors who are in their 80's and they now have to hire the professionals to do their yardwork as such work seems to have fallen out of favor of the local teenagers. I imagine some other locations still have teenagers that use daddy's mower to cut neighborhood grass, but I have no idea how prevalent the practice is nowadays.

13. Prince_James Plutarch (Mickey's Dog) Registered Senior Member

Yeah, what's up with that?

That used to be the job for teenagers making pocket money.

It's an easy job that doesn't require much skill and it keeps the local economy going.

Paying companies who charge way more and have no community basis? Lame!

Kids: Get your asses some cash by helping the old folks and busy people on the block!

14. Varda The Bug Lady Valued Senior Member

btw, the dolar vs. real ratio 2 years ago was 1USD = 2,6BRL

15. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

Yeah I've seen that. I've also seen some kids hire cleaning services when they leave apartments at the end of the semester, so they can get their deposits. Thats really funny.

16. Blue_UK Drifting Mind Valued Senior Member

How much do people typically get paid per hour? (Comparing say, a McJob and a graduate IT job)

17. CharonZ Registered Senior Member

I have seen signs for fast-food chains at around 8 $ per hour.
    At Trader Joe's it is about 12 $/h. I do not know what an IT gets (chances are, too much).
    In biology and chemistry departments A graduate researcher can expect to get around 5-7$/h, a post-doctoral researcher around 8-11 $/h (mostly due to the work time).

1 USD = 0.64 EUR. I wish I'd still get paid in euros. Sigh.

18. Varda The Bug Lady Valued Senior Member

dropped to 1USD= 1,61BRL today

19. Harnu Semper Fidelis Registered Senior Member

I make $2.32 an hour

, but I get full medical and dental.

20. Blue_UK Drifting Mind Valued Senior Member

I earn $26.6 per hour, based on 2:1 $:£ exchange rate. I have to pay tax: about 20% on earnings, then 17.5% on purchases. Not to mention that things are expensive anyway. Maybe when I stop being lazy I'll earn more!

Last edited: May 31, 2008
  21. Xerxes asdfghjkl Valued Senior Member

I'm actually pretty pissed off about, for the selfish reason that my trip is going to cost more.

But remember... Brasils currency is rising in relation to everyone else, not just the USA.

22. Varda The Bug Lady Valued Senior Member

it's all the oil we're sitting on.. petrobras keeps finding more and more underground oil reserves

23. weed_eater_guy It ain't broke, don't fix it! Registered Senior Member

It's actually part of our master plan to keep immigrant workers out of our country, if our money is worthless, who wants to work here!

On a side note, the fact that we have immigrant workers means we must be doing something right, maybe not for long, but at least right now? I dunno, i'm not an economist.