I have a theory on Binge drinkers, and why they binge!

Discussion in 'Free Thoughts' started by lucifers angel, May 27, 2008.

1. lucifers angel same shit, differant day!! Registered Senior Member

Well those of you that know the age for going out and buying drinks from a pub is 18yrs old, and you can drink in your home as young has 8yrs old has long as your perents are there with you.

Now some kids are told that drinking is bad, nasty and evil, (i know i was), and they are not allowed to even look at a wine bottle just in case they get the urge to drink, so i think if mums and dads lightened up a little and let they're child/ren drink on special ocassions, it wont be seen has somthing special to do, and kids will grow up and mostly not binge drink, so if these kids were allowed a drink at for example......christmas, birthdays, etc etc then perhaps they wont see drink has a wanderful and great past time! Of course i am not saying let your kids get drunk on a regular basis just a drink of wine here and there.

What are your thoughts?

2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Enmos Valued Senior Member

Drinking is bad, nasty and evil !

4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Enmos Valued Senior Member

Seriously, though.. I don't know if your method will be successful.
    They will associate drinking with having a good time (Christmas, birthdays, etc.) that way.

6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. lucifers angel same shit, differant day!! Registered Senior Member

well its got to be better than saying "NO YOU CANNOT DRINK!!"

drinking should be left to do when your having a good time, if you drink while depressed it makes you worse, and also some people have an addicative personality

8. Enmos Valued Senior Member

Imo.. it's better to just not make a big deal out of it as a parent.
    You can tell them they can drink when they are old enough.
    Maybe you can let them have a sip some time, they will probably not like it anyway.

9. Randwolf Ignorance killed the cat Valued Senior Member

Is there a genetic component? The old Nature vs Nurture?

10. Pinocchio's Hoof Pay the Devil, or else.......£ Registered Senior Member

I think that Binge drinking is caused by two main problems...
    1) Opening hours, should be 24 hrs.
    2) Every soap opera aimed at family and teenage viewers revolves around a pub where everybody is nearly always pictured with a pint in their hand, and drinks to solve their problems

11. EmmZ It's an animal thing Registered Senior Member

I don't see a problem with binge drinking. Sometimes there just isn't the time to pace yourself. When you need to get hammered, and fast, there's only one approach.

12. skaught The field its covered in blood Valued Senior Member

Enmos is right. It will only show them that drink leads to good time. The best bet is for children to witness their parents drinking very moderate doses on rare occasions, so they can see how to drink responsibly. However, it has to be very rare, and very moderate. When it gets down to it, a lot of the clients I work with are all over the board. ( I work at a treatment facility) Some are childfren of alcoholics, some a children of people who never drank, and some come from families that drank responsibly and in moderation. Basically there is nothing a parent can do to prevent binge drinking/alcoholism. You either are one or you aren't, and if you are one, then you were born one.

13. skaught The field its covered in blood Valued Senior Member

An alcoholic that is...

14. lepustimidus Banned Banned

Until you're 18, alcohol is very very bad.

15. skaught The field its covered in blood Valued Senior Member

True. But if someone binge drinks every weekend, and drinks until blackout, then there may be a problem.

16. skaught The field its covered in blood Valued Senior Member

Age is really irrelevant to the idea. Its not like at midnight the night of your 18th birthday you suddenly become a responsible drinker. I have seen plenty of people who are 18, 19 or 20 be perfectly capable of only having a couple of drinks socially, and I have seen 30 40 and 50 year olds get totally stupid sloshed and loose control with alcohol. Its all about how wel you are able to handle alcohol.

17. EmmZ It's an animal thing Registered Senior Member

Meh, I still say when one feels the need for a fast approach to inebriation a good binge is oft the most concise method.

18. skaught The field its covered in blood Valued Senior Member

I agree! Not something I choose to engage in however.

19. domesticated om Stickler for details Valued Senior Member

I remember reading about this somewhere a while back.

You would think that desensitization was the way it worked, but the alcohol statistics for consumption per capita actually tells a different story. here's the 04 statistics for example.
    http://www.who.int/substance_abuse/publications/globalstatusreportalcohol2004_drinkpatterns.pdf

20. lepustimidus Banned Banned

Those statistics don't really tell us anything, dom.

21. CutsieMarie89 Zen Registered Senior Member

I completely agree with this actually. Having a drink when your younger gets rid of the mystery of it. Just like when kids go out of their way to stay up late just because they want to see what their missing out on. I tried alcohol for the first time when I was 12 (which is kind of late I guess) but I hated it so much that I won't touch alcohol now. I was never tempted even in the slightest in high school or college to binge drink because I found the taste so averting. I think if I had discovered the bad taste of alcohol later I would still have been tempted to try drinking regardless, due to peer pressure and all and being a teenager.

22. lucifers angel same shit, differant day!! Registered Senior Member

i let my younger son who is just 8yrs old have a small drink at christmas, new years, and on special ocassions,

23. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

Why drink alcohol at all to begin with? I know that is very hard to do but everyone seems to think that drinking in some form of moderation will be helpful but not drinking at all would be the real solution.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!