Mozilla Browser

Discussion in 'Computer Science & Culture' started by kmguru, May 26, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kmguru Staff Member

SAN FRANCISCO — The browser, that porthole onto the broad horizon of the Web, is about to get some fancy new window dressing.

Next month, after three years of development and six months of public testing, Mozilla, the insurgent browser developer that rose from the ashes of Netscape, will release Firefox 3.0. It will feature a few tricks that could change the way people organize and find the sites they visit most frequently.

Not to be outdone, Microsoft recently took the wraps off the first public test version of the latest edition of Internet Explorer, which is used by about 75 percent of all computer owners, according to Net Applications, a market share tracking firm. The finished version of Internet Explorer 8 could be released by the end of the year and is expected to have additional features.

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/05/26/t...=th&adxnnlx=1211806882-e4uwKyN3jS7I2LQW51mSHA

-----------------------

If the trend holds up, I think, one of these days, the Microsoft's elephant OS could be replaced by a thin client

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Stryder Keeper of "good" ideas. Valued Senior Member

I think their information is a little out of date, the 75% share value occurred about 2 years ago. Judging by a number of internet logs, IE is down more to 60% and for the most part IE is used by a number of Robots/Agents to identify with giving false positives in any forms of market research output. Also the firm mentioned might only do it's market share tracking through MSN search making it quite biased considering most people that use Microsoft's search system do so through their MS browsers.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Creeptology Registered Member

Even if 75% of comp owners do use IE it just shows that many people are clueless when it comes to software and what is available. Many people don't even know about other browsers or want to change if they do since they think MS must make the best product. I have been trying to talk my dad into using non ie browser for years (he uses aol! basically the only browser to be built on ie and make it worse). He insists on having aol as his ISP because they are very popular so must know what they are doing. I showed him how to connect without using their browser, just firefox but he didn't like that idea.

Some people are not too clued up on comps to feel comfortable with a switch to a new browser or the like if they are used to another. They don't understand the tech side so don't really see what a new product really offers and often cling to inferior product they are familiar with. Many people are happy to remain ignorant even though they are missing out. Time and time again I see people insisting an inferior product is the best without any backup and denying all other claims no matter how much proof you give them.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. s0meguy Worship me or suffer eternally Valued Senior Member

@creeptology: just rig the internet explorer to crash and then offer to install firefox

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

I just installed it on a lot of my family's computers without asking them, just cuz i was browsing the internet there (always have the latest version on my usb pen drive). After a while they all started using Firefox.

8. Joaquin Sleuth Registered Senior Member

Internet explorer is a decent browser and it's pretty much the same deal as firefox but i always get drawn to the firefox browser than the ie browser. I dont know why it's funny how i'd rather pick a certain one over another. I mean opera is the fastest but i never seem to ever use opera it's funny.

9. Stryder Keeper of "good" ideas. Valued Senior Member

It's not just down to tech savvyness, Some things require the usage of internet Explorer. They might be updates for the operating system or certain banking transactions. This is an unfortunate side effect of browser integration into an operating system.

10. Creeptology Registered Member

Yeah stryder I agree that sometimes that can be a pain but in general it's rare especially these days. For win ff users ie tab is ok. I can't use ie tab in linux but in windows I can use ie tab in firefox for ms update. Not many sites are ie only, one of my friends works in web design for music industry and he says ie friendly is pain so charges extra for guaranteed ie friendly. How true this is I don't know since I don't have a clue about web design (and I mean clueless

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

). Never had a prob with firefox apart from java menus on one site were awkward (mainly due to my addons) so I used konqueror for that.

I did install firefox on a family members machine who is getting on in years. Since he is old and learning something new is hard for him (and the word fire in an apps name makes him panic and uninstall it) I put ff in with looks familiar theme and changed firefox branding with firesomething etc. http://johnhaller.com/jh/mozilla/firefox_internet_explorer/ more details there. He was non the wiser but I had installed adblock and other things quietly in the background. I didn't get any more calls about broken comp each week then. He just clicked every banner he came across without discrimination.

Problem with my dads comp is he uses aol and it's not as easy passing ff off as aol browser. Connection wise it's not too bad since he uses router now so might be bit easier but in past it was pppoe so I made a manual network connection with correct details and set to start and autologin when ff opened. He never used it, although my brothers did.

I don't think ie is decent browser though, it's been behind the times for a long time and if it wasn't intergrated into windows or there was more informed choice it wouldn't last. Just because windows gui needs it doesn't mean it's the best for web browsing (not because I am MS hater either, I think konqueror isn't up to ff standard either but need it for kde).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.