what mouse and keyboard do you use (gamers especially)

Discussion in 'Computer Science & Culture' started by Creeptology, May 22, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Creeptology Registered Member

I know many people think cheap optical mouse is fine for most purposes but for gaming and design (modelling, photoshop etc) I think higher precision is better. Just wondered what people used, especially gamers.

I use a Razer copperhead mouse (laser 1000Hz/1ms polling, 2000dpi)
    http://www.razerzone.com/p-74-razer-copperhead-gaming-mouse.aspx

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

on a razer mantis control mat
    http://www.razerzone.com/p-81-razer-mantis-professional-gaming-surface.aspx

my keyboard is a crappy standard beige one with power/sleep/wakeup keys but I would like a backlit one with nice easy press keys (domes, not spring). I know you can get replacement domes or springs in various resistances for customised feel, I thought about getting a cheap cherry and customising it to almost feather sensitive non clack keys.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Joaquin Sleuth Registered Senior Member

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Creeptology Registered Member

aw man I remember mt ST mouse (yeah I was atari man not amiga), it was a hunk of crap. They released a kidsmouse back then for amiga/st/386 that was in the shape of a mouse. Apparently it was quite good and not just for novelty value.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Anti-Flag Pun intended Registered Senior Member

That's an A500 right? I broke all my mice though, bugger.

For pc gaming I try to use an old rollerball. Optical mice unfortunately have a flaw; they work if your mouse is a few mm off the desk - making swift changes of direction clumsy and repeated scrolling impossible to do at any decent speed.

8. Creeptology Registered Member

If you use a good mat I find they don't. Mine is fluid and have on the fly sensitivity so never have that problem. I couldn't use a ball mouse now, and all the cheap opticals seem awkward.

9. s0meguy Worship me or suffer eternally Valued Senior Member

If you just need advice, for gaming I'd use a G15 keygoard and G-something mouse, they rock. I can't remember the number for the mouse but just check in the stores they'll have the newest version.

Super fast response rate, the mouse has buttons to toggle the mouse moving speed (for moments when you need a fast mouse when your in fast action or slow mouse when you need to be accurate such as a sniper) there's also lots of configurable buttons on both of these. The mouse has a weights system that lets you balance it.

10. Anti-Flag Pun intended Registered Senior Member

I've tried several, both mats and mice, and nothing seems to solve the problem for me. It mostly occurs when I am scrolling heavily at speed, so have to lift the mouse off, return to one side and place down again to keep scrolling; just before placing the mouse back down the laser always kicks in and scrolls me back.:shrug:

11. Creeptology Registered Member

laser or optical? Mine is laser (320nm to be exact, guess it's UV then), optical is usually red led. Never have that problem with my mouse/mat. I can switch between 400dpi to 2000dpi in fraction of a second and adjust between 20 graduations of sensitivity on each setting (400, 800, 1800, 2000). 7 button programmable too. On low moving 30cm on the mat (it's huge, too big really) cursor moves about quarter of the way across the screen. On highest moving mouse 3cm on the mat covers the screen or does at least 360 in a game. The mat makes a huge difference too.

I always though over priced mouse was gimmic until I got this. My old optical broke which is why I bought this a year ago. I tried my friends logitec (can't remember what but was high end gaming one) and felt much smoother and easier to control than mine at the time. I wouldn't go back to lesser mouse now.

12. Enmos Valued Senior Member

- LX8 Cordless Laser Mouse.
    - Standard crappy shitboard.

I'm not much of a gamer though.

13. Anti-Flag Pun intended Registered Senior Member

Hmm this one's an optical then, but I've tried 3 or 4(probably more really, I've been using them a while and have multiple computers) and I'm pretty sure it's a mix of both that I've tried, either that or writing 'laser' on the box was used as a gimmick. To be fair I don't think any of them have been too special and maybe better quality ones are ok, but when I can buy a cheap ball mouse it seems silly to me.:shrug:

14. draqon Banned Banned

Infrared projected keyboard

Ergonomic mouse

15. Creeptology Registered Member

don't buy one before you try it since they are expensive and if you don't like it it's a waste. I like that kb draq hehehe. Still happy with my crap kb as it does me but considering an upgrade, will look at that g15.

I like the look of g11 http://www.scan.co.uk/Products/ProductInfo.asp?WebProductID=480706 and it's cheaper. Also the rubber key razer http://www.scan.co.uk/Products/ProductInfo.asp?WebProductID=791177 looks good but can't justify £50 on a new kb.

Might pick up a http://www.scan.co.uk/Products/ProductInfo.asp?WebProductID=215572 when get spare £27, not too steep a price and it's sensitive domes and my bro lives about 20min drive from scan so wont pay postage.

16. skaught The field its covered in blood Valued Senior Member

17. EmmZ It's an animal thing Registered Senior Member

I got some red optical mouse thing

18. ashura the Old Right Registered Senior Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.