Darkie's Software Reviews

Discussion in 'Computer Science & Culture' started by darksidZz, May 22, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. darksidZz Valued Senior Member

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Carcano Valued Senior Member

Nice! I wonder if theres a freeware version of that Cube Desktop program.

I expect Sam to generate a strong following with his new review channel. So many others on youtube fail by adding annoying music while theyre talking.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. darksidZz Valued Senior Member

There is a freeware 3d cube application here http://shock-4way-3d.uptodown.com/en/

I tried it and it does work in Vista x64 but it's buggy with mapping the hotkeys, most likley because this is a laptop. It's very, very good and stable so I'd give it a try if you like.

I just bought CubeDesktop because it's better functionally and runs ok in this environment. That app is really neat though too

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Blue_UK Drifting Mind Valued Senior Member

Yeah, Sam, your first name is revealed in the µTorrent review if you haven't already said elsewhere (which is pronounced 'micro-torrent' by the way!). Hmm... and the surname begins with DeR!

Apparently I was the first viewer of 'WebShot'. Perhaps you could show the program in use?

Hmm... perhaps I should share some of my apps in a simular fasion. Time wasting is, after all, one of my strongest personal skills.

8. s0meguy Worship me or suffer eternally Valued Senior Member

Get a fully functional cube for free if you install ubuntu. It'll let you use the cube and see everything that happens, including movies etc. Doesn't really have a good practical purpose though.

Last edited: May 22, 2008
  9. s0meguy Worship me or suffer eternally Valued Senior Member

While it means micro, I thought that the sign itself was pronounced something like "mu".

10. yoda5412 Banned Banned

Why don't you make your own site?

11. Carcano Valued Senior Member

Because you get much more traffic with a youtube channel. Some of them get thousands of feedback comments. Your vids are automatically accessible every time a similar title is clicked.

Sam could do well with Linux tutorials too (I need em!) as long as he keeps it uncluttered with obnoxious music.

I always burst out laughing when I click on a tech review and theres this guy shouting over rap music!!!???

12. Blue_UK Drifting Mind Valued Senior Member

No, µ is always pronounced micro when used with units (µTorrent is called so because it's 'small'). It's only pronounced 'mu' when referring to the letter, such as in maths (or actual Greek, I presume).

So µm = micrometer, µs = microsecond, yet 'µ' as in the coefficient of friction is 'mu' as you suspect.

13. Carcano Valued Senior Member

Sam should do a tutorial on how/where to get the VLC player for Linux.

http://www.videolan.org/vlc/

The default media player packaged with Ubuntu plays only mpgs and nothing else.

This is due to copyright limitations...but a lot of Linux newbies dont know about it.

14. s0meguy Worship me or suffer eternally Valued Senior Member

Hey, heres a tutorial on how to install VLC

open console/terminal
    type
    "sudo apt-get vlc" without ""
    enter your password
    enter
    it may ask you if you want to install dependencies, type "y" then enter

if you get an error, you should do it all again, only this time first type
    "sudo apt-get update"
    then
    "sudo apt-get upgrade"

thats about it. if you use another linux distro, you may need to use another download program such as yum. It's been long ago that I used yum, but I think its mostly the same.

If you want to do it through a graphical interface, go to system->administration->synaptic
    type vlc
    right click install

if you can't find it in that menu because you use a different distro, you can usually use alt+f2 to bring up a run window where you can type synaptic and it'll open. I think yum has a different gui program but you should know about that if you have that distro.

This all is assuming that you're using an "easy" version of linux.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.