The Same or Opposite??

Discussion in 'Free Thoughts' started by shorty_37, May 21, 2008.

?

Do you think Opposites Attract and make for a more exciting life?

1. Yes I do

45.5%
  2. No I don't

45.5%
  3. Don't know never been in a relationship

9.1%
  1. shorty_37 Go! Canada Go! Registered Senior Member

Ok Creep said something in another thread that got me thinking.

Do you think finding a partner that is almost exactly the same as you makes for a somewhat boring life?

Are you and your partner alike or total opposites?

Do you think if you find a partner that is just like you, it makes life run smoother?
    Less arguments and conflicts? or

Do you find it more exciting being different and occassionally getting into a conflict?

Personally me and my B/f are COMPLETE opposites.

Last edited: May 21, 2008
  2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. draqon Banned Banned

You know I think that finding someone who is opposite of me is of a higher moral standard and purposeful yet it seems that I am attracted by that which is the same as me, and the reason for such is that I choose morality of the other person that chooses my morality and that makes us the same.

4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Sciencelovah Registered Senior Member

Me and my bf are complete opposites as well. There is NOthing alike, and that's why we complete each other

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

Just like magnet, they have to have different poles to works.

6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Varda The Bug Lady Valued Senior Member

we complete eachother

8. shorty_37 Go! Canada Go! Registered Senior Member

So do you find yourself in arguments because you are so different?

9. Bells Staff Member

My husband and I are complete opposites in some things and very much alike in others. Balance.

10. Creeptology Registered Member

I posted this in another thread but just seen this so think it belongs here and interested in the answers people give.

We are not similar in every way but taste wise we are. I don't think it's boring and it probably cuts out the compromise thing a lot. I have a friend with very similar music taste to me (mainly ska and hardcore punk, classic stuff like ramones stooges richard hell etc, metal and so on) and his long term gf listens to britney and justin timberlake and other such trash and doesn't like the same cinema as him. It's hard for him since she wont ever listen to his music or watch many films he likes.

I think if peoples partners have similar interests then there is less compromise and can share in enjoying same things more easily. Personality wise we are quite different though, most people who speak to us online don't guess we know each other. I don't think I could live with someone who was identical to me, that would be horrible! Similar helps though. My sister in law is very dissimilar to me and we have no common interests and do not get along and have nothing to talk about. Suits me fine though hehehe.

I think it's the same with friends and family, if they are quite similar it's easy to get along for me. My closest friends and family are quite similar. It's not that I don't get on with people who are very different, it's just if we don't have much in common there doesn't seem to be much we relate on hence are more distant. Maybe it's just me and the way I am though. Do others find their partners, family they are close to and close friends are similar to them?

11. Sciencelovah Registered Senior Member

All the time

He calls me as a package of problem, yet he is always there to try to
    solve everything. I think he enjoy his role in a way

12. Zakariya04 and it was Valued Senior Member

dont the arguements wear u down???

ok so you can be different as people but u must share similar interests.

take me and my wife for example, we are completely different as people, and w ehave completely different interests.

the arguing wears you down, the non involvment and perceived in-flexibility of your partner also wears u down...

therefore you either have to be similar tuypes of people but have different inetersts or be different types of people but have similar interests to egt on... if both are lacking then in my expeereince that is rpetty shit

13. Sciencelovah Registered Senior Member

Not at all... we are like Chizumi - Fujiomi:

I gtg, ciao

14. draqon Banned Banned

why can't I be your Fujiomi, Inzomnia...? oh why?....

Last edited: May 21, 2008
  15. lucifers angel same shit, differant day!! Registered Senior Member

i think it can be boring personally, me and my husband are total oposites, but we get along really well,

16. Dinosaur Rational Skeptic Valued Senior Member

I cannot imagine opposites getting along.

When I did not have a partner, I went to ski resorts, piano bars, bridge clubs & tournaments, cruises, health clubs, Las Vegas, computer shows, & other places I enjoyed. I believed that if I did not meet anyone, at least I was enjoying myself. If I did meet somebody, it, would be somebody with at least one common interest.

When I was a bit younger, I enjoyed skiing, tennis, competitive bridge, computer technology, cruises, playing Blackjack, listening to almost any kind of music, dancing while dining at a restaurant or night club. I did not like the beach, Florida vacations, going to hear a live classical orchestra, dancing unassociated with other activities, gossiping, and a few other activities.

Suppose I married or lived with a woman with no interest in skiing, computers, et cetera, but loved to go to hear a live performance of classical music, wanted to go to a ballroom & dance, liked to spend a vacation soaking up sun on the beach, liked having relatives visit so she could gossip, et cetera. We either would go our sepatate ways or direve each other crazy.

Opposites attracting might work in fiction; It might work while the sex is great; It might work if one partner is willing to always give in to the other's interests; It might work if one or both are very wealthy & they can indulge themselves by buying expensiove toys.

17. EmmZ It's an animal thing Registered Senior Member

I like being with someone I can relate to. If someone has a different fundamental belief system I couldn't be in a relationship with them. I just couldn't handle watching them kill things I believed were sentient and felt pain. I could handle slight differences in music but I'd never be with anyone who liked Rap. I like blokey things though so it's easy for me to find someone who's compatible in a lot of areas. I like action films, war films, fucked up Japanese films. I like having someone to talk to, someone I can watch the news with an talk to about what's going on. I seem to have a magnetic pull toward computer geeks though, and I wouldn't really consider myself one. Maybe it's a subconscious thing where I know he'll be able to tweak my bios if it needs doing. I need intelligence, that's imperative. I suppose if someone was my opposite I'd hate it because I couldn't share as much of myself with them. I've never really been attracted to anyone opposite to me. Oh my god, they'd be a hideous person, they'd be calm and submissive, which would make me either puke because they were an obsequious sycophant or I'd walk all over them and get very, very bored very, very quickly.

18. Sciencelovah Registered Senior Member

As you started this thread, how about you, Shorty?

Because I already found my Fujiomi, and somewhere out there, there is your own Chizumi waiting