World's hottest chillie

Discussion in 'Free Thoughts' started by Spud Emperor, May 20, 2008.

1. Spud Emperor solanaceous common tater Registered Senior Member

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

Bhut jolokia,

hottest chillie in the world, out of India.

Yes they're hot..very, but with great flavour.

Mmmm, chillies!

2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. domesticated om Stickler for details Valued Senior Member

Interesting. I love spicy foods.

Is it bitter (like cayenne or habanero) or does it have a sweet taste? I've been looking for a pepper to use that has a nice strong long lasting heat, but doesn't taste bitter. I tend to use a lot of other spices along with hot elements, and the bitter tasting ones tend to overpower them.

4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Tiassa Let us not launch the boat ... Valued Senior Member

6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. shorty_37 Go! Canada Go! Registered Senior Member

Reminds me of that scene in Dumber and Dumber. I wonder if these ones would make you spray ketchup and mustard all over your tongue.

BTW: I hate spicy food.

8. Spud Emperor solanaceous common tater Registered Senior Member

It is a little on the bitter side ( I love that).

I tried some pepper dews the other day, they have some sweetness and a little heat.

You need such a small amount of the jolokia, the heat will be present but other flavours could carry the sweetness.

9. synthesizer-patel Sweep the leg Johnny! Valued Senior Member

Pussies the lot of you.

the hottest chilies in the world are grown in England

http://www.dorsetnaga.com/

measured at 1.6 million Scoville Heat Units

10. Spud Emperor solanaceous common tater Registered Senior Member

Yes Patel, but do YOU eat them?

11. shorty_37 Go! Canada Go! Registered Senior Member

WONG:
    And in India a sixty-two year old man is trying out for the Guinness Book of World Records. He’s chomping through hundreds of the hottest chilies in the world hoping this will be enough for a world record.

STORY:
    Kailash Jagodiya, a businessman from Assam, claims he started eating chilies back in 1964. He says he can eat around 51 hot chilies in one minute without it causing him any medical problems or agony.

[Kailash Jagodiya, Chilli Man]:
    "I have been eating chilies since 1964. I can eat 51 hot chilies in one minute. This type of chili is called 'Raja Mircha' and is accepted the world over as the hottest chili. I can eat 500 of these non-stop in 4 hours. I do not have any burning sensation and I can rub chilies on my eyes and on my face. I can also smear my entire body with 5 kilograms of chili powder and can stay for the whole day like that. My dream is to make it to the Guinness Book of World Records."

http://english.ntdtv.com/?c=151&a=540

12. Spud Emperor solanaceous common tater Registered Senior Member

Kailash also holds the record for eating raw opium poppies.

Take that story with a grain of salt and a bit of garam masala!

13. shorty_37 Go! Canada Go! Registered Senior Member

I can't even handle mild-medium chicken wings, my lips feel like they are on fire. lol

14. lucifers angel same shit, differant day!! Registered Senior Member

i love spicy food, i love jalapeno on my sub ways in the morning!

but i love red chillies aswell

15. domesticated om Stickler for details Valued Senior Member

Agreed. I prefer enjoying what I eat. It's not simply a matter of challenging oneself with "how much you can handle" (I feel the same way about beer).

It's possible to obtain bottles of pure capcaisin(sp) if the intent is to achieve the hottest possible material one could ingest

16. Spud Emperor solanaceous common tater Registered Senior Member

I saw that recently, an Aspergers kid who is obsessed with chillies ( at the moment) put Jolokias and capsaicin paste on his sandwich ( it was his birthday), poor bugger turned green.

17. synthesizer-patel Sweep the leg Johnny! Valued Senior Member

Nah - frankly I find the eating of the hottest food possible comparable to a pissing contest - I love hot food and I can handle it, but beyond vindaloo/madras strength I find that I can't taste it any more.

although I have eaten the legendary "Curry Hell" - reputed to be the world's hottest curry - at the equally legendary Rupali in Newcastle.

Why?

Because it was there!

http://www.curryhell.com/

18. Creeptology Registered Member

I love habaneros so much. I find it gets addictive though and soon you can't get enough in one dish. There was a time when every meal I ate contained liberal amounts of capsaicin. Now it's just a few a week.

I heard about Naga Jolokia a while back but never seen them in the shops (I shop at small independent store owned by an Indian family for all my chillis and spices etc).

Currently I have 4 habaneros growing on my window in pots (and an orange tree) but they haven't fruited yet.

19. EmmZ It's an animal thing Registered Senior Member

Bonnet peppers! Baw. And yeah I eat 'em. The hotter the better. 150,000–325,000 Scoville Units. Take that suckaZ!

20. Bells Staff Member

This was sent to me many years ago. I'm sure most of you have probably read it at some point.

What is mildly spicy to some could end up making another scream.

Mmmmm spicy curry.. anywho..

INEXPERIENCED CURRY TASTER

Notes From An Inexperienced Curry Taster Named FRANK, who was visiting Phoenix, Durban, South Africa from the U.S.

"Recently I was honoured to be selected as a judge at a curry cook-off. The original person called in sick at the last moment and I happened to be standing there at the judge's table asking directions to the beer wagon when the call came. I was assured by the other two judges (couple of local Indians) that the curry wouldn't be all that spicy, and besides, they told me I could have free beer during the tasting, so I accepted.

Here are the scorecards from the event:

JUDGE ONE: A little too heavy on tomato. Amusing kick.
    JUDGE TWO: Nice, smooth tomato flavour. Very mild.
    FRANK: Holy shit, what the hell is this stuff? You could remove dried paint from your driveway. Took me two beers to put the flames out. I hope that's the worst one. These Indian fellows are crazy.

JUDGE ONE: Smoky, with a hint of pork. Slight Jalapeno tang.
    JUDGE TWO: Exciting BBQ flavour, needs more peppers to be taken seriously.
    FRANK: Keep this out of reach of children! I'm not sure what I am supposed to taste besides pain. I had to wave off two people who wanted to give me the Heimlich manoeuvre. They had to rush in more beer when they saw the look on my face.

JUDGE ONE: Excellent firehouse curry! Great kick. Needs more beans.
    JUDGE TWO: A beanless curry, a bit salty, good use of red peppers.
    FRANK: Call Colesburg, I've located a uranium spill. My nose feels like I have been snorting Domestos. Everyone knows the routine by now, get me more beer before I ignite. Barmaid pounded me on the back; now my backbone is in the front part of my chest. I'm getting shit-faced from all the beer.

JUDGE ONE: Black bean curry with almost no spice. Disappointing.
    JUDGE TWO: Hint of lime in the black beans. Good side dish for fish or other mild foods, not much of a curry.
    FRANK: I felt something scraping across my tongue, but was unable to taste it, is it possible to burn-out taste buds? Savathree, the bar maid, was standing behind me with fresh refills; that 300 lb. bitch is starting to look HOT, just like this nuclear waste I'm eating. Is curry an aphrodisiac?

JUDGE ONE: Meaty, strong curry. Cayenne peppers freshly ground, adding considerable kick. Very impressive.
    JUDGE TWO: Curry using shredded beef; could use more tomato. Must admit the cayenne peppers make a strong statement.
    FRANK: My ears are ringing, sweat is pouring off my forehead and I can no longer focus my eyes. I farted and four people behind me needed hospital treatment. The contestant seemed offended when I told her that her curry had given me brain damage. Savathree saved my tongue from bleeding by pouring beer directly on it from a pitcher. I wonder if I'm burning my lips off? It really pisses me off that the other judges asked me to stop screaming.

JUDGE ONE: Thin yet bold vegetarian variety curry. Good balance of spice and peppers.
    JUDGE TWO: The best yet. Aggressive use of peppers, onions, and garlic Superb.
    FRANK: My intestines are now a straight pipe filled with gaseous, sulphuric flames. I shit myself when I farted and I'm worried it will eat through the chair. No one seems inclined to stand behind me except that slut Savathree, she must be kinkier than I thought. Can't feel my lips anymore. I need to wipe my ass with a snow cone!

JUDGE ONE: A mediocre curry with too much reliance on canned peppers.
    JUDGE TWO: Ho Hum, tastes as if the chef literally threw in a can of curry peppers at the last moment. I should note that I am worried about Judge Number 3. He appears to be in a bit of distress as he is cursing uncontrollably.
    FRANK: You could put a grenade in my mouth, pull the pin, and I wouldn't feel a damn thing. I've lost the sight in one eye, and the world sounds like it is made of rushing water. My shirt is covered with curry which slid unnoticed out of my mouth. My pants are full of lava-like shit to match my damn shirt. At least during the autopsy they'll know what killed me. I've decided to stop breathing, it's too painful. Screw it, I'm not getting any oxygen anyway. If I need air, I'll just suck it in through the 4 inch hole in my stomach.

JUDGE ONE: A perfect ending, this is a nice blend curry, safe for all, not too bold but spicy enough to declare its existence.
    JUDGE TWO: This final entry is a good, balanced curry, neither mild nor hot. Sorry to see that most of it was lost when Judge Number 3 passed out, fell over and pulled the curry pot down on top of himself. Not sure if he's going to make it. Poor Yank, wonder how he'd have reacted to a really hot curry?
    FRANK: --------------(editor's note: Judge #3 was unable to report)

21. USS Exeter unamerican american Registered Senior Member

I love spicy foods! Curry, Mexican, wasabi paste, or whatever is out there!

22. Creeptology Registered Member

ah wasabi. I need a fresh rhizome but can only get paste here (and it's bumped up with horseradish). Apparently the fresh grated pure wasabi taste very subtle and far superior to tubed stuff. I found a place that sells online but impossible to find fresh so far. Even asked my friend to get some in Tokyo and couldn't find it, I am certain somewhere there sells it, he just didn't find it.

23. Kadark Banned Banned

I'm a bitch when it comes to eating spicy foods. I consider tostito dip "spicy", so I couldn't imagine eating such a chili pepper.