Myspace: pros outweight the cons?

Discussion in 'Free Thoughts' started by Varda, May 15, 2008.

1. Varda The Bug Lady Valued Senior Member

After hearing so many times about disagreements over what was posted on a myspace page, cheerleaders beating eachother up, kid being bullied into committing suicide, kidnappers/stalkers/psychos gathering information about their victims, etcetcetc... wouldn't it make sense to just shut this thing down?

Although people are putting themselves at risk all by themselves by making so much information about them avaliable, should't something be done to protect them, as they are obviously too stupid to protect themselves?

Aren't people just taking their e-relationships too seriously?

Should such a powerful resource for gathering personal information even exist, and be avaliable to everyone? And why does the idea of making your life public is so appealing?

Discuss

2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Read-Only Valued Senior Member

The only thing I can see about it is that it appeals to narcissistic people who have big egos. It has absolutely NO attraction for me!!

As to protecting people from themselves? It cannot be done. Many idiots require a law just to make them wear seatbelts.

Here's a thought for you: While a fool and his money are soon parted, a fool and his foolishness are glued together for life - however short that might be!

4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Varda The Bug Lady Valued Senior Member

6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. domesticated om Stickler for details Valued Senior Member

There's no difference between Myspace and any other medium that allows people to socially interact (chat rooms, message boards, blogs, etc). Myspace is only the current fad, and doesn't do anything particularly special that compromises anyone's security.

8. Orleander OH JOY!!!! Valued Senior Member

I don't see how they could possibly win. If I was a rape victim and killed days later, they couldn't charge the rapist with it.

9. francois Schwat? Registered Senior Member

No. How many thousands of people die a year in automobile accidents? How many deaths would be prevented if we banished automobiles?

I say let stupid people hurt themselves. That's one of the problems with today's world. We don't let people be responsible for themselves. We don't give people the freedom to make their own mistakes.

Yeah, probably some people are. Just sit back and enjoy the absurdity. Enjoy watching them make asses out of themselves.

To adults, yes. Not to all children. Parents should tell their kids whether or not they can.

Everybody wants attention. This is one way to do it.

10. Joaquin Sleuth Registered Senior Member

Myspace is the biggest piece of crap website ever created

11. Carcano Valued Senior Member

Shouldnt something be done to sterilize them...so they dont replicate and take over the world?

12. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

They already are taking charge of many parts of the world today.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

13. Creeptology Registered Member

I never did see the appeal of myspace, it's so restrictive anyway. As far as blogging goes blogspot and the like is much better.

14. shaman_ Registered Senior Member

If you're a band trying to promote your new music use myspace.

If you just want to keep in touch with your friends or make new ones use facebook.

15. Read-Only Valued Senior Member

A band is one thing - but if new friends is your goal, there are LOTS of much better ways than exposing your whole life to strangers all over the world!!!

16. Elucinatus Registered Member

Myspace is a way for people to communicate much quicker than normal, get to know people much quicker than normal, and use the web to slither your way through a 'real-life' social circle like a serpent.

17. clusteringflux Version 1. OH! Valued Senior Member

I disagree. I think a message board is more personal and life like than just leaving your spam on someone's page.
    Myspace sucks for music,too. You wade through 10,000 shit bands before finding a good one.

18. Blue_UK Drifting Mind Valued Senior Member

myspace is shit. It allows people to customise way too much. Sadly, many myspace users seem to think that people actually want to hear their favourite song played automatically, or that people can read light red text on orange background or whatever. The wall thing is a mess.

Myspace is a mess.

Facebook is the only true network.

Long live Facebook.

19. prunebear Banned Banned

is it eezier to find girlfiend on facebook or mybook?

20. redarmy11 Registered Senior Member

Try myface and I'll be your girlfriend.

21. prunebear Banned Banned

22. redarmy11 Registered Senior Member

fuck of

23. prunebear Banned Banned

lol

I dind't get it that you were joking. THuoght you were looking for someone.

sorri!