Haircut

Discussion in 'Free Thoughts' started by Tiassa, May 15, 2008.

1. Tiassa Let us not launch the boat ... Valued Senior Member

I had my hair cut today for the first time in ... um ... well, years. The damage I was carrying was atrocious. Instead of simply having the splits and breakage trimmed away, though, I had the length cut back from mid-back to approximately my collar. This is the shortest my hair has been in thirteen years.

And it's absolutely freaking bizarre.

2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Orleander OH JOY!!!! Valued Senior Member

Did you donate it?

4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

I know exactly how you feel. I still remember how weird I felt when I first went from hip length to a bob.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. draqon Banned Banned

Tiassa...there will come a time when you will have to realize that the hair is not there forever...there will come a time when all hair will become gray and there is not much one can do about it...time is merciless

8. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

I remember when I did the same thing 20 years ago, I was really "light headed" afterwards, it was like I lost about 5 lbs on my head! I got use to it over time and it was much easier to manage as well. You can always let it grow back if you ever wanted to.

9. Varda The Bug Lady Valued Senior Member

i love cutting my hair short
    I usually cut it in december for the summer, and then let it grow during the year, it gets to a palm below the shoulders in a year

10. stretched a junkie's broken promise Valued Senior Member

He he. And if its cut to one length you look like Prince Valiant?

Hang in there brother, I made the cut 10 years ago. Never looked back.

11. Tiassa Let us not launch the boat ... Valued Senior Member

Um ... no?

In truth, the thought hadn't occurred to me, mostly because I thought of it as cutting away nonviable hair. To the other, the stylist didn't cut it for preservation, either; the clippings were mostly short, and what long ones there were looked really strange. The breakage and splits were tremendous.

I really can't remember how long it's been since I last cut my hair. Maybe three years. Possibly four.

At any rate, now that you mention it, I feel kind of stupid. But I comfort myself by recalling the appearance of the longer cuttings. It wasn't healthy hair.

12. Orleander OH JOY!!!! Valued Senior Member

My son donates his hair. Mainly because he had a classmate who lost part of his scalp in a fire. And he gets it cuts for free when he donates it.

We just got our daughter's hair cut and we didn't even think about it. Now I feel bad.

13. Tiassa Let us not launch the boat ... Valued Senior Member

I'm so damn vain

Not quite Prince Valiant. Actually, it's even more embarrassing in that sense. See, the thing is that my hair is quite curly; if I treat it right, it will collect into these dense, lovely spirals that, I confess, I absolutely adore and am somewhat vain about. Of course, that vanity is based in part that "treating it right" is a hell of a lot easier for me than it is for most people. If I don't wash my hair for a day or two, an inexpensive spray-in conditioner will do the trick. In fact, I just have to get my hair wet and not brush it, and it will gather into the spirals.

But here's the embarrassing thing. I call it the "Cree Summer look". After pulling my hair into a tail for years, the top of my hair has straightened somewhat. So I decided that if I cut it short enough that I didn't need to tie it back, the curl might return.

Now, I call it the "Cree Summer look" in part because I've always thought her hair was beautiful, but the embarrassing part is that what made me start thinking about cutting my hair was seeing a picture of some Disney star. I've been erroneously referring to the idea, of late, as the "Zac Efron" look. Turns out it's Corbin Bleu. However, while my hair won't do either the Bleu or Summer look exactly, I recall seeing a picture of this guy and thinking, "Hey, people with good hair are back in vogue."

So I thought I'd give it a try, especially since the damage was so severe. No simple end trimming was going to suffice. Maybe the next time my hair gets that bad, I'll just go for dreads, and then cut them off entirely.

Of course, now my vanity is obliging me to go out and spend money on a more expensive conditioner, just to see what my hair can do. But, hey, why not? If it behaves properly and does what I hope, I'll post before and after pictures. If not, I still have some length to give, so I can always try another stylist.

But, yeah. How's that for embarrassing? I'm aiming after a Disney heartthrob.

Oh, hey .... I still have a couple of old images on the servers here.

A pretentious picture about six years old: Red Tarot

And a four year-old picture with my daughter that shows my hair as I usually wear it: Emma Says

I did find a picture that Emma Grace took of the back of my head; I'll try to get that posted later, mostly because my vanity is in full swing. But I'm running short on time now, so ....

eace:

Last edited: May 15, 2008
  14. greenberg until the end of the world Registered Senior Member

Can you still tie it back, or is it too short for that?

15. toolzombie Registered Member

I did the same thing in February. They measured mine at exactly 3 feet long, and cut it to 18 inches. It was such a drastic step for me, but now I love it. I still miss my long hair, that was pretty much my security blanket.

16. hypewaders Save Changes Registered Senior Member

I've been growing my hair longer than standard for the first time since my teens, and the response has been overwhelmingly negative- especially in aviation circles. I have fine, straight blonde hair (Prince Valiant stage presently) and I'm trying for pony-tail length before yielding (if ever) to the intense pressure for conformity over male hair-length.

I like how I look with longer hair. Perceiving others, hairstyle has never meant much to me. I do believe that neatness projects respect for self and others, but I've never associated cleanliness and self-respect with hair length. Growing my hair out lately has been a rather rude awakening for me, in how powerful the stereotypes are in present US culture. We do still live in profound tribalism, and those without a tribe are treated as outsiders. I've had to do this to feel it, and I know it is costing me opportunities to experience it. Not getting a haircut is a very big decision.

In front, my hair is just passing my nose. In back, I've been keeping it above the collar. With every resume sent out, I wonder which offer I'll sell out for.

17. iceaura Valued Senior Member

Until a couple years ago when the clippers broke, I cut my own hair - which limits the stylistic possibilities. Especially if you're living without a mirror. Somehow hair has never mattered - my vanities root elsewhere.

But I can verify that the transition from short to long to short is an education in one's culture, at least male and American. Even bank tellers treat you differently.

In my cases, short is less than a centimeter , long is enough to tie back. Short was high school to senior year, long was then until the second year with a motorcycle (got fed up with having to wash it every week), and short has been ever since.

The best thing about short, besides the breeze (it turned out I had to bathe anyway), is that women will spontaneously rub your head - the fuzzy feel draws them. This is good for starting conversations.

18. lucifers angel same shit, differant day!! Registered Senior Member

i had long hair untill last year when it all fell out dur to my treatments, its has come back now, but not haslong has it was, and i can't wait to be able to go into a hair dressers and get it done!

19. Fraggle Rocker Staff Member

Most people's hair grows pretty consistently at the rate of six inches per year. If your hair is curly it may seem slower at first because it loops back on itself, but as it gets longer the weight pulls it straighter.

When I was younger I let my hair grow long, starting in the late 1960s when everybody was doing it. That was a tough choice since I rode a motorcycle for transportation and my helmet kept squashing it, so I couldn't let it grow indefinitely due to the split ends. It was pretty curly so when I quit riding in the early 1980s it started looking good. I have a photo from 1990 that would make a stupendous Afro if it curled more tightly. It never really hung down much below my shoulders because of the curl so I never thought to pull it straight and measure it in inches.

Of course when your hair starts to turn grey its chemistry changes. It's been greying for quite some time but it started looking really ratty a few years ago so I keep it shorter, but still nowhere near the military "butch" and "flat top" haircuts that were so popular when I was a kid.

My beard has turned completely grey and it doesn't show up too well, but shaving by any means gives me ingrown hairs so I only do it once a week. It's the only part of my hair that I ever dyed. It didn't just slowly turn grey; it developed stripes. Not nice centered, symmetrical stripes that might have made a bizarre fashion statement that I would have enjoyed, but stupid diagonal stripes! I used dye on my beard for about 15 years.

20. EmmZ It's an animal thing Registered Senior Member

I've forgotten what my own hair colour is now. I've been dying my hair since I was about fourteen. I like my hair short, it's cheaper to dye and I can do a lot more with it. When it's long people tend to just snatch it back in a ponytail. When it's short you have to do something with it in the morning or it looks like a burst mattress all day. I recently had it all black but with a vermillion fringe. It was fun and everyone said "Ooooh", but it took too much maintenance so I dyed it back to black, for now. It's mostly all kinds of shades of red, usually. I can't wait to go gray! I remember when I was a kid and my teacher dyed her hair gray. I thought it looked amazing, still do. Gray hair, red wine, Rachmaninov; that's what my late middle ages will all be about.

21. stretched a junkie's broken promise Valued Senior Member

He he. Gotta love the hair! My ex used to get kinda jealous cos my beautiful long man hair used to get such consistent adulation! ... and her gorgeous red locks didn`t!

22. Creeptology Registered Member

I miss my hair! My evil wife made me shave my head again. Now I look like Martin Skrtel and she complains she doesn't fancy me hahahaha, that's what she gets for marrying a mutant!

23. Asguard Kiss my dark side Valued Senior Member

i sympathise with you tiassa. I used to have a pony tail half way down my back and it took me 2 years to grow

My partner decided to bully me into getting it cut off and now im left with this stupid looking cut that looks like something corie worthington would have

I HATE IT