advice on getting a cat and dog to get along

Discussion in 'Free Thoughts' started by pjdude1219, May 13, 2008.

1. pjdude1219 The biscuit has risen Valued Senior Member

yeah i have a dog and just got a cat. I could really use some advice on how to get the cat not to be afraid of the dog.

2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

If they live together they'll get used to each other. Mine did.

4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Asguard Kiss my dark side Valued Senior Member

depends on the size of the dog i guess

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

My dog got a little to rough with the cat and broke his tale so i dont want the other cat to become to friendly with her. The other dog on the other hand is the size of a cat so they are evenly matched

6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

Hmm no problem here. The dog was a retriever but he was a silly laughing type. My cats are all broken in and soon had him house trained. He died of poisoning some years ago, though.

8. shorty_37 Go! Canada Go! Registered Senior Member

I think it depends on the dogs personality. My dog will NOT let any other animals in the house. We tried and gave it a couple weeks. He became abusive towards it.
    Sometimes it just won't work out.

9. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

Probably not used to other animals. We have animals coming and going all the time.

10. Myles Registered Senior Member

That's inevitable if you feed a cat curry

11. Myles Registered Senior Member

Get a German shepherd ! That'll settle his hash !

12. shorty_37 Go! Canada Go! Registered Senior Member

He is just a little bastard, when it comes to other animals. I see jack russells on the humane society sites for adoption sometimes. They always say the same thing. They prefer to be the only animal in the household.

13. Myles Registered Senior Member

That's terriers for you.

14. Asguard Kiss my dark side Valued Senior Member

you want agressive try a lasa uspso. Cute dog but stupid as hell and so agressive we cant have anyone in the house without locking her out. She will tollerate the cats inside but not my Shepherd cross who is 4 times the size of her and could eat her if she wanted too. The little shit bites my dogs lips to which is just mean

15. mrow Unless Registered Senior Member

I had two cats and a dog. Unfortunately, the cat came first, then the dog (who was a puppy at the time), then the second cat. I think that's what helped because the cat had already been living there and the dog was just a puppy who was a bit more afraid of the cat than the cat was of him. I think if you just stick it out for a bit they'll eventually calm down and get used to each other. Have you asked your vet for suggestions?

16. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

When did the dog put the poision in the catfood?

17. pjdude1219 The biscuit has risen Valued Senior Member

the cats bout 10 lbs the dog is 70 lbs they won't that much contact the dog stays inside and the cat is outside i just don't won't the cat to run away

18. Asguard Kiss my dark side Valued Senior Member

shouldnt that be the other way around?

Cats should be kept inside especially at night because otherwise they wander the streets getting hit by cars and eating the native wildlife. Dogs on the other hand tend not to get out of the back yard (as long as you have a decent fence

) and dont kill the wild life. Also dogs stink and cats dont

19. pjdude1219 The biscuit has risen Valued Senior Member

the cat is to keep away squirrels and rabbits and such. we got the cat because of the advice form a extermaniter.

20. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

The dog died of poisoning, he was young, just a few years old. The cats are all there except one who died of euthanasia but she was 18 years old and suffering kidney failure. :bawl:

21. Asguard Kiss my dark side Valued Senior Member

do you live in a city or in the country out of interest?

Because the most i expect from my cats is that they keep any mice around out of the house

22. Asguard Kiss my dark side Valued Senior Member

SAM so the cats posioned the dog

Reminds me of that movie Dogs and cats where the cats where trying to take over the world

23. Fraggle Rocker Staff Member

You've got a very poorly bred Lhasa Apso. I hope you notified the breeder and that you and your friends are keeping an eye on his breeding practices so that he doesn't do this again. If he gets more than one like that from a pair he should retire them, or at least figure out which parent is carrying the throwback trait.

Lhasa Apsos were originally bred by the Tibetan monks to be exceptionally independent because they were watchdogs. They all have a tendency to be alphas so they don't form cohesive packs. They were also bred to not be automatically respectful of humans because it was their job to keep strangers from sneaking into the monasteries.

In the 1960s and 1970s when Americans started having smaller families and living alone in apartments, Lhasa Apsos became very popular because they are solitude-tolerant and not very energetic. They'll sit on your sofa all day listening for burglars. They also tend to be good judges of character and if your Lhasa Apso doesn't want to let somebody in your house you should probably think twice about letting them in. Ours never wanted my mother around and they were right.

But due to demand, the "puppy mills" (farmers who wanted to raise something more profitable than chickens but don't know shit about dogs and don't care) started breeding them and with poor breeding techniques they brought out undesirable characteristics that were throwbacks to the old monastery watchdogs. There were a couple of years when more Americans were bitten by Lhasa Apsos than by pitbulls. Fortunately most of them have an underbite so they can't easily draw blood.

We've all spent many years and many generations weeding out the bad stock and restoring the breed to the status of a good pet, without taking away its core personality: aloof, independent, confident, judgmental, more watchful than playful. "Dogs for cat lovers" is the way we advertise them. But also fiercely loyal and protective of every member of the household without playing favorites, including the other pets.

We have ten of them at the moment and they get along fine, although there's always one who thinks he or she is the alpha of the alphas. Some of them are quietly friendly toward visiting dogs (but not playful) while others are not, and none of them take kindly to being mounted or otherwise dominated, so if you like to have your friends' visit with their dogs a Lhasa may not be right for you. But they should make peace with any other permanent resident of your home because they still consider it their job to keep everyone safe.

You seem to have simply gotten a bad dog and I'm sorry for you. Perhaps Australia is where my country was with this breed thirty or forty years ago. I would suggest that you procure your Lhasa Apsos from the USA, except I know your government are real pissants about things like that so it would probably be illegal.