Body thermostat, snakes and polar bears

Discussion in 'Biology & Genetics' started by Spud Emperor, May 9, 2008.

1. Spud Emperor solanaceous common tater Registered Senior Member

I'm a snake, by that I mean I love the heat. I'm happiest in the hottest part of Summer. I hate the cold with a passion.
    I'm like the original arsehole from the 'asshole song' who "goes around in Summer sayin' How about this heat?"

Some of my friends ( I call them Polar bears) can't stand the heat, they start complaining at about the temperature where I'm thawing out ( round about 25Celsius,..78Farenheit) At 33C, 90F they are bemoaning the 'sweltering heat' while I'm completely in my comfort zone. At 40C, they're melting and I'm still happy.

At the other end of the scale, at 15C, 58F, I'm seriously starting to get cranky and rugging up, my hands get cold, my nose starts to run at 10C, 50F.

Where do others sit in the snakes v polar bear stakes?

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. EmmZ It's an animal thing Registered Senior Member

Definitely a snake. I'll sit and bake in the heat me. Although, living in the UK doesn't allow for much basking. I have been known to put the heating on in summer. I detest even the slightest of cold temperatures. I'll have a bath so hot it'll lobsterfy me. I can put extremely hot things in my mouth (although I'm not sure if that constitutes snake behaviour) and I'll have full-blown arguments to ensure my pit is almost unbearably hot for normal human beans to survive in. I think "polar bears" are weird. I can't stand the cold. Noses aren't supposed to be cold at night.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Enmos Valued Senior Member

I'm a polar bear if you ever saw one. You snakes are nuts.. !
    I prefer temperatures below 20 C and have no trouble with cold weather.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.