Misspelling

Discussion in 'Free Thoughts' started by toolzombie, May 8, 2008.

1. toolzombie Registered Member

I understand that a lot of people have problems with spelling words correctly. While I'll admit that it does sort of annoy me, I know that it's common and for the most part, I ignore it. However, this is an online forum. I can see how people get all excited and such and are trying to type quickly and get their point across before their idea fades. So many people, though, are trying to prove their intelligence and convince others that their ideas are better...yet they frequently misspell words! I know it's not really a big deal to most people, but for me I sort of lose a bit of respect for a person's intelligence if they repeatedly misspell. Also, it's just funny that they sound ignorant while trying to prove their intelligence. I mean...if you're typing in SciForums, you're obviously on the internet, and it's so easy to just open up another tab and find the correct spelling. Maybe some just don't care enough to do that (not that it takes much effort), but I'm sure that so many don't even realize that they are misspelling. What's the point of this thread? I may be trying to get people to actually SOUND smart (well..read smart) while they're trying to sound smart...and then again I might just be laughing at morons and throwing it in their faces. It would be hilarious if I misspelled something in here, right? Pick me apart, you know you want to.

2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Read-Only Valued Senior Member

Nope, won't try to pick you apart because I agree with you.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

Even the smartest people in the world misspell now an then - and it makes them really appear MUCH less than intelligent if they don't bother to correct those errors.

Shucks, there are many spell checker add-ons for browsers - ieSpell is the one I use. And the fact that they don't employ something like that confirms two things: they really AREN'T all that smart and they are just plain LAZY, too!

4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. EmmZ It's an animal thing Registered Senior Member

OoOh toolzombie, you've hit on my pet peeve. Especially misused phrases like, "I could care less". And alot. It's two words people! A lot. Throwing apostrophes here and there. Punctuation maketh the sentence. I know someone who is off-the-scale intelligent but his writing is so annoyingly bad. I can't read his texts, they make me nauseous. I see no need not to write correctly in a text. I've heard the "It saves on character allowance". Tish and Fipsy! Fair enough, if you're stupid it's forgivable but I see no need for someone who has studied Chemistry for years to express themselves in a incoherent manner.

6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. francois Schwat? Registered Senior Member

We've had lots of threads about this. Not just spelling, but grammar. It doesn't bother me, but it does make me think less of the person who frequently writes shittily. If they don't have the time to write well, I don't have the time to read them or take them seriously. Often the people who use bad spelling and grammar are the idiots you want to ignore. So in a sense I'm grateful that they use bad spelling and grammar because it tells me that I'm about to read some pointless inane shit. There was once this dude on here named TimeTravler (there were others too) who wrote the most pointless, inane drivel you can imagine, but it had perfect grammar and spelling. When I see writing that has good grammar and spelling I'm more inclined to read it even if it's shitty writing and ideas. I think "How can this person use such good grammar and spelling and be this stupid?"--I can't accept it and I keep reading to my detriment. So I'm grateful for people who use bad spelling and grammar.

8. Sciencelovah Registered Senior Member

9. Syzygys As a mother, I am telling you Valued Senior Member

I will explain it then you guys can make it a FAQ:

1. Generally, spellchecker is for pussies.
    2. Not everybody cares.
    3. Not everybody is a native English speaker, actually, most are not.
    4. Youngsters tendt to abbrivate, which would show up on a spellcheker as a mistake.
    The point is they do it by purpose, not by accident.
    5. When I type on the laptop, I misstype several times.
    6. Most people are lazy...
    etc.etc.

There you have it.

Sure it would be nice if everybody were the same, but we are not. Generally I don't mind small mistakes and only pedant people bitch about it. bad news, it is going to be worse in the future...

10. francois Schwat? Registered Senior Member

Syzygys: two words. Intelligent community.

11. francois Schwat? Registered Senior Member

A mistake here and there is fine, but recurring crappy spelling and grammar is an entirely different animal.

12. John99 Banned Banned

Sorry, but It is kind of shallow to judge a person by their spelling or grammar.

13. Sciencelovah Registered Senior Member

I think I am going to use spell checker from today.

Here is my method: every time I login to Sciforums, I will open the Ms. Word program and activate its ‘spelling and grammar checker’ (I don’t have any other tools). After I finish typing, I cut, paste, and post it to Sciforums.

This is my first post using Ms. Word. I found 3 mistakes just now as I type, lol…

14. Read-Only Valued Senior Member

Agreed! We all make mistakes, some of us more frequently than others. BUT when the same individual continually enters post filled with spelling errors, it means only one thing to me: sloppy/lazy!

Now when it comes to bad grammar and punctuation, our member Reiku wins the contest hands down! Why do I single him out for this dubious award? Because he claims to be a professional writer, for Pete's sake! (I wonder why it is that he's never told us the names of anything he's had published...?)

15. Read-Only Valued Senior Member

No, not when it's consistent.

16. BarbieGirl14 Registered Senior Member

I have never had a problem understanding ANY words on ANY english forum in my life. The fact that you have this problem just shows your lack of adaptation skills, and common sense.

mispelled words are mostly long words. Sound them out. If you cannot tell the difference between "cat" and "kat", then you obviously have no common sense.

We are the future. Not you. We set the rules. Your rules are out-dated. This is just more proof that you are getting old. Stop being such a conservative, and deal with the times.

17. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

Sometimes I just forget to spell check but I do believe my messages gets across by those reading them. I really don't tell others they are wrong much any longer unless they are really bad and keep getting worse!

18. Read-Only Valued Senior Member

Heh! Sorry to burst your neat little bubble but your generation is NOT in charge yet. So you have no control over setting ANY of the rules. In 20 more years, perhaps, but you'll also be better educated by then and will have rethought the idea of changing many of the rules that have been around longer than any of us.

19. Syzygys As a mother, I am telling you Valued Senior Member

You meant Sciforums???

Oh, I forgot about THAT! How about intelligent posts? I would exchange bad spelling for intelligent posts anytime...

20. toolzombie Registered Member

The funny thing is, I wrote this after reading some posts by you. However, I didn't specifically call you out, because there is no sense in personal attacks via the internet. It has nothing to do with the lack of intelligence on my part, I obviously recognize that the words are misspelled or I wouldn't have anything to "bitch" about. I'm old and my rules are out-dated? I'm 21 years old, and the correct spelling of words didn't come from me, I learned it in school just like everyone else, but I just happened to catch on to it. It's not my fault that others are stupid, ignorant, or lazy. Like someone earlier said, INTELLIGENT COMMUNITY. Good god, if you are the future I'll kill myself now.

21. francois Schwat? Registered Senior Member

She's the future, but the people who are intelligent and relevant will be the ones who don't abuse English. Strippers and waitresses don't need great English skills.

22. BarbieGirl14 Registered Senior Member

I don't mean set the rules as in ammendments, and policies. I mean the norms. The standards. The line that says what is acceptable.

A lot of old people disagreed with skipping chursh in your time. Here we are today. Your generation is now the parents. You grew up. You matured. You still reset the norms. Even LOL is acceptable. You disagree? How about "mod" and "admin" shortenting of the words. Its a norm, and you old people use it. You changed the standard. Now we are changing the standard. Deal with it.

None of the new generation cares about your old conservative thoughts on short form typing. This is the generation of instant communication. Its only natural that we find words to hasten our communication, and shorten our time spent instantly communicating.

The next time you make a thread moaning about spelling correctness, and short hand, remind your self the new generation has no care for your oppinions. As long as we are understood by people who matter to us, your oppinion is void. So just remind your self. Your old.

Even my father doesn't grope about my writing as much as you. Maby because he has 3 new generation girls, and 1 boy, and he is smart enough to understand our ways of communication.

*this post is brought to you courtasy of instant web on a pda/ cell phone. An essential tool to the new generation*

23. Enmos Valued Senior Member

So.. what, you write like that when doing your exams ?
    Will you be typing like that at work ?

Get tested for dyslexia.