Ganja saves the world?

Discussion in 'Chemistry' started by siliconshrew, May 7, 2008.

1. siliconshrew Banned Banned

As we increasingly look towards biofuels as a way of providing energy without the harmful side effects of fossil fuels(ie global death) there is one biomass which springs to mind that could definitely save us. The only catch is it's illegal!

It was once America's number one cash crop before hemp farmers were taxed out of existance and then outlawed. The most useful plant known to humanity was globally banned in the early part of this century to protect fat cats from going bankrupt. Timber barons weren't happy that a new machine called the Decorticator promised hemp paper that was ten times cheaper than timber pulp. Pharmacies who make most of their money from anti-depressants weren't happy either. Not when an easy fast growing weed could do the same job.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

The answer? Ban it.

How ironic. When grown for seed atleast 70% of the plant's mass becomes seed and each seed contains 50% high quality oil. Hempseed oil was once used to power lanterns. That was before we butchered whales for their oil.

So an easy alternative exists which could replace fossil fuels completely but we've banned ourselves from using it. Humans sure are dumb.

Its also highly nutritious and makes a beautiful kind of bread that could feed the third world but hey I won't go into that since its off topic.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

Because almost 100 percent of hemp goes towards smoking it!

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. clusteringflux Version 1. OH! Valued Senior Member

Hemp can be grown without THC, making it useless to people looking for a high.

I thought it was interesting when I read that Ford not only fueled cars with hemp but used it to make car body components out seed oil "plastic" that was lighter and stronger than steel and could be manufactured without harmful petroleum emissions.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. scorpius a realist Valued Senior Member

you wouldnt need so much fuel if car makers used this type of drivetrain in the first place
    www.afstrinity.com
    and if you want to get even more efficient and clean running go full electric
    www.teslamotors.com

8. Diode-Man Awesome User Title Registered Senior Member

Clothes can be made from hemp, car bodies, paper, oil for burning, the only problem is that it takes a lot of land that could otherwise be used growing crops to feed the masses. If we did suddenly switch a bunch of things over to hemp the price of food would go up a great deal... Too often in this world find an excellent solution that creates more problems.

Smoking Ganja has been done for thousands of years, that seams to be the best use. It relieves chronic back-pain, it assists in sleep for insomniacs, it helps cancer patients to eat food AND enjoy it, but I wouldn't recommend it for depression, since after a long period of use, the strength of the the buzz goes down in power leaving the user with a foggy/tired mind. Given a few weeks or months and the strength of the buzz returns after the cannibinoids in the body are cleared out, thus making it unreliable for depression treatment.

9. siliconshrew Banned Banned

Very true. It's not addictive but like chocolate some people seem to enjoy it too much. They become chronic smokers and lose all their drive. Ambition becomes something other people think about. But most people grow out of the stuff. It's also good for Glaucoma sufferers. I remember reading an article about an elderly woman in my state who grew a couple of plants to help with that. The police tried to lock her up. Miserable gutless bastards. Only the dregs of humanity ever join the police.

10. scifitm Registered Member

I'm not really putting my vote in for or against weed, but the comment about hemp being grown and pushing crops out of the way isn't neccesarilly true. There's talk about farmers using Farmland to grow biofuel crops instead of food, which would be a problem. However hemp is a weed, it will grow practically anywhere and thus does not need actual "farm land" to be cultivated. Farmers could keep their food growing, and when it comes time to fallow a field just grow the hemp, also places that are not currently farm land could be used. I've never really figured out why they outlawed the stuff in the first place...

11. Giambattista sssssssssssssssssssssssss sssss Valued Senior Member

I assume you must be joking.

12. Giambattista sssssssssssssssssssssssss sssss Valued Senior Member

I "grew" out of it for several years once, but I do enjoy it once in awhile. I've always regarded it as meditative, rather than just recreational, though it can be either or both.

Kill that old woman! How DARE she?!?!?

<---- sarcasm