Keeping the Dead Alive!

Discussion in 'Free Thoughts' started by krokah, May 6, 2008.

1. krokah Registered Senior Member

I work as a high tech critical care RN. About 25% of the time I come to work and have to keep the dead alive through life support measures, be it chemical or mechanical. It is during these times that a lot of thoughts run through my head. If they are a "full code" we do everything in our power and use all available resources to keep them going. Sometimes it is to let the family "digest" the news that a loved one is dead, othertimes it is because they (the family) can't let go. Sometimes it is a sad event, sometimes it is a relief, sometimes it just happens and everyone is on their own. I will say that a patient never dies alone here in our unit. When no one is here for them, we hold their hands and talk to them.

I have seen the best and worst of society. I plan on writing a book in a few years about the things I have seen. A 16 year old shot in the head, sitting on the side of the gurney, talking with his parents because he will be dead in a few hours because of the brain swelling. People talking to angels and tell me they are going to die, ordinary people who have no reason to die, just do. Its odd.

Just talking here at work.....

2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

That is why I have a DNR card with me as well as at my hospital. Everyone who really doesn't want to be kept "alive" when they are actually a vegetable and brain dead then they should get one of these post haste!

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. lucifers angel same shit, differant day!! Registered Senior Member

i went for an operation a while ago and the dr's said to me, what if things went wrong, do you want us to resusitate you, and i said no, and i had to sign a legal document amking sure my family knew my wishes!

6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. LeotheLion Registered Senior Member

DNR cards are the way. I've actually taken it a step further by officially donating my entire cadaver to medical science.

Turns out there's a shortage of cadavers for med students to work on here in Blighty so I figure it's the best thing to do, it's not like I'll be needing it anyway right?

8. Orleander OH JOY!!!! Valued Senior Member

My family is under strict orders to keep me alive as long as my body can hold out. If they have to use the paddles a few times, so be it.

9. Varda The Bug Lady Valued Senior Member

when I die my body will be emptied for every possible re-usable thing

10. shorty_37 Go! Canada Go! Registered Senior Member

To be honest it is not something I think about often. I have always said I wanted to be cremated. If you don't arrange for your body to be given to science or organ donations and you suddenly die. Can your family request it? Or do you have to have a donor card or written wishes yourself? How does the law work in that case?