Sports...

Discussion in 'Free Thoughts' started by Challenger78, May 6, 2008.

1. Challenger78 Valued Senior Member

Quite frankly, I see no more a pointless form of pleasure. I am of course, referring to games such as rugby, basketball etc.

Sure, It achieves physical fittness, but nothing that couldn't be achieved by running around a little, or for those really needing to be fit, marching around a little.

Personally, I don't care about sports, but rather the undeserved importance people give to sportspeople. Just because they did something that an ordinary person can't do straight away does not make them more special, than say, that guy who stopped a nuclear war.

But I'm willing to learn, if anyone could dig up examples where sport changed the world, I'd be happy to hear it.
    But seriously. who the fuck cares if some guy bounces a ball around, and the masses then proceed to lick his balls ?

2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Varda The Bug Lady Valued Senior Member

sports are a major basis for social inclusion in brazil

4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

It employees millions of people that wouldn't otherwise be working at a regular job. Think about all of the little children watching their favorite basketball star get arrested for beating up someone or taking drugs somewhere! The media has a great time as well with them for they always seem to take up about 50 percent of the news. Where would we be without the soccer brawls that kill spectators yearly? How about all of that money gambled away on those "sport events"? You don't seem to grasp the full impact as yet but I hope I've enlightened you somewhat.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Challenger78 Valued Senior Member

But the importance that people place on it in everyday situations, seemed totally out of whack to the importance people put on other things.

8. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

Entertainment has many forms. Sports is just another form of entertainment and people get excited when they are winning money when the bet on teams to win. Gambling makes people excited either way the game turns out.

9. Varda The Bug Lady Valued Senior Member

people like to belong to groups

10. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

But when you kill others that aren't part of your "group" is that what sports have come to? I'm referring to soccer as one example.

11. RubiksMaster Real eyes realize real lies Registered Senior Member

The worst part is when all these sports analysts sit there and say "oh, this guy is really off his game this season" and stuff like that. Seriously, it's just a game! I hate how obsessed people are with it.

I have nothing against playing sports for fun or for excercise, but "professional" sports are just a huge waste of time. It's just a game.

12. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

Actually today it's more of a big business than a sport.

13. Challenger78 Valued Senior Member

It's also an excuse to give people awards...Seriously Like we care ? Give it to people who care about such things, on their own time.

14. lucifers angel same shit, differant day!! Registered Senior Member

sport is a way of men being men, a bit like the gladiators in roman times, but challenger78 your right, sports right now are a waste of time!

15. EmmZ It's an animal thing Registered Senior Member

Challenger, I agree. Footballers in England are way too overpaid. I'd like to see them clean up blood and slough from some drunk blokes head on a Saturday night whilst having the threat of violence blowing up at any given moment for 18k a year.

Last edited: May 6, 2008
  16. Challenger78 Valued Senior Member

It's not only that, Its the attention we give them.

17. lucifers angel same shit, differant day!! Registered Senior Member

well its not us so much its the press, if the press didn't write about the likes of Beckhams then we wouldn't know them like we do, but there are to many kdis saying, "i wanna be Beckham when i grow up"

he is an idiot, he can hardly talk for christ sake!

18. EmmZ It's an animal thing Registered Senior Member

How ironic that you should begin this thread

Last edited: May 6, 2008
  19. Anti-Flag Pun intended Registered Senior Member

In reality the problem is the tribal, primitive attitude of the people themselves who do those things. If the grouping wasn't on the basis of being part of different sports teams then they'd find some other reason. Similar to the gang mentality of inner cities where affiliation is determined merely by location of birth.

20. Enmos Valued Senior Member

Sport is a substitute for hunting and tribal warfare.

21. Anti-Flag Pun intended Registered Senior Member

The entertainment industry is big business, professional sports is a part of that, similar to the way singers and actors make huge sums of money, so do the athletes. Ever notice the highest paid people in society tend to be the ones who command the least respectful positions?:shrug:

22. Sciencelovah Registered Senior Member

So .......... nobody here gonna watch the coming 21st May event?

p.s.: I am on Chelsea side :xctd:

23. Nickelodeon Banned Banned

Too depressing without England there.

(((((((((