More Inspirational / Insightful Quotes

Discussion in 'Free Thoughts' started by Lykan, Jun 6, 2002.

1. Lykan Golden Sparkler Registered Senior Member

"We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real tragedy of life is when adults are afraid of the light." - Plato

"A person desperately searching for love is like a fish desperately searching for water." - Deepak Chopra

"We need the tonic of wilderness... we can never have enough of nature." - Henry David Thoreau

"The monotony and solitude of a quiet life stimulates the creative mind." - Albert Einstein

"To open the individual path inward is the most exalted of human endeavors..." - James Perkins

"Conversation enriches the understanding, but solitude is the school of the genius." - Gibbon

"Great souls are they who see that spiritual is stronger than material force, that thoughts rule the world." - Emerson

"I love a broad margin to my life." - Henry David Thoreau

"You yourself, as much as anybody in the entire universe, deserve your love and affection." - Buddha

"The weak can never forgive. Forgiveness is the attribute of the strong." - Gandhi

"Kind words can be short and easy to speak, but their echoes are truly endless." - Mother Teresa

"How far that little candle throws his beams! So shines a good deed in a weary world." - William Shakespeare

"I learned that it is the weak who are cruel, and that gentleness is to be expected only from the strong." - Leo Rosten

"Until he extends his circle of compassion to include all living things, man will not himself find peace." - Albert Schweitzer

"The best way to know God is to love many things." - Vincent van Gogh

"Sell your cleverness and buy bewilderment." - Rumi

"There are only two ways to live your life. One is as if nothing is a miracle, and the other is as if everything is a miracle." - Albert Einstein

"When we have seen Reality, there is not a grain of dust which has not a sublime meaning." - Vanderleeuw

"The voyage of discovery lies not in finding new landscapes but in having new eyes." - Marcel Proust

"The foolish man seeks happiness in the distance; the wise grows it under his feet." - James Oppenheim

"I don't know what your destiny will be, but one thing I do know: the only ones among you who will be really happy are those who have sought and found how to serve." - Albert Schweitzer

"...that best portion of a good man's life: his little, nameless, unremembered acts of kindness and love." - William Wordsworth

"The best way to find yourself is to lose yourself in the service of others." - Mohandas Gandhi

"It is not so much our friend's help that helps us, as the confidence of their help." - Epicurus

"Intense love does not measure; it just gives." - Mother Teresa

"If you want to know the past, look at your present life. If you want to know the future, look at your present." - Buddha

"The words 'I am...' are potent words; be careful what you hitch them to. The thing you're claiming has a way of reaching back and claiming you." - A.L. Kitselman

"We choose our joys and sorrows long before we experience them." - Kahlil Gibran

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent." - Eleanor Roosevelt

"You may be deceived if you trust too much, but you will live in torment if you don't trust enough." - Frank Crane

"When it is dark enough, you can see the stars." - Charles Beard

"If I had no sense of humor, I would long ago have committed suicide." - Mohandas Gandhi

"Remember: happiness is a way of travel, not a destination." - Roy Goodman

"There are two ways of spreading light - to be the candle or the mirror that reflects it." - Edith Wharton

"The important thing is to be able at any moment to sacrifice what we are for what we could be." - Charles DuBois

"Give the world the best you have and the best will come back to you." - Madeline Bridges

"When I do good, I feel good. When I do bad, I feel bad. That's my religion." - Abraham Lincoln

"An eye for an eye only makes the whole world blind." - Mohandas Gandhi

"I destroy my enemy when I make him my friend." - Abraham Lincoln

"Whenever you are confronted with an opponent, conquer him with love." - Mohandas Gandhi

"A pessimist is one who makes difficulties of his opportunities, and an optimist is one who makes opportunities of his difficulties." - Harry Truman

"We don't see things as they are. We see them as we are." - Talmud

"Weakness of attitude becomes weakness of character." - Albert Einstein

"It's the repetition of affirmations that leads to belief. And once that belief becomes a deep conviction, things begin to happen." - Claude M. Bristol

"As you believe, so you become. As you become, so you believe." - Unknown

"Whatever you can do, or dream you can, begin it. Boldness has genius and power and magic in it." - Goethe

Finish each day and be done with it.
    You have done what you could.
    Some blunders and absurdities no doubt crept in;
    forget them as soon as you can.

Tomorrow is a new day;
    begin it well and serenely
    and with too high a spirit
    to be encumbered with your old nonsense.

- Ralph Waldo Emerson

"If you find yourself in a hole the first thing to do is stop diggin'." - Unknown Cowboy

"Where fear is present, wisdom cannot be." - Lactantius

"When we let our own light shine, we unconsciously give other people permission to do the same. As we are liberated from our own fear, our presence automatically liberates others." - Marianne Williamson

"Be more concerned with your character than with your reputation. Your character is what you really are while your reputation is merely what others think you are." - John Wooden

"When we live our life contrary to the inner guidance of our Soul, our actions often have a disharmonious effect upon ourselves, others and the Earth. This is why the evolution of individual human consciousness is intimately linked with the future of this planet. In light of this, the crisis of all physical illness, emotional imbalance and planetary upheaval has but one ultimate purpose: to provide an opportunity that will motivate us to realign our body, mind and emotions with the infinite love, wisdom and healing of our Soul. Therefore, whenever we gather the courage to do whatever it takes to end the war within, we contribute directly and immediately to our own healing and transformation as well as to the peace that our world cries out for." - John-Michael

"You must be the change you want to see in the world." - Mohandas Gandhi

"Time has a very elastic quality. It depends upon the will and desire of the individual as to what he or she can accomplish within the time allotted." - Jesse Holmes

"You can't lose anything because you never had it. The only thing you've ever really had is yourself." - Deepak Chopra

"Many have not been told that birth into a physical world is a death in the spiritual worlds from which they came. Hence most are never aware that death in the physical world is merely a birth into other dimensions of life." - Jesse Holmes

"Few people will dispute that in the world of nature everything reacts to an exact law; and physical as these laws seem in their outworking, they all originate from the spiritual universe. There can be no haphazard methods, for nature is very drastic with delinquents. This also happens in the spiritual spheres where the smallest action calls forth an exact reaction. This means that man's thoughts become his creations, that they become like angels of good and evil to him; so that when he views his life from some higher plane of existence, he well realizes the disastrous nature of those mental creations of his - of gloom, depression and selfishness - which were and are his mental children.
    ___"This has affected me deeply since my arrival here, for I was wont to create such characters, scenes and word-pictures. Mine was a vivid imagination; and, while I gave forth many a picture of joy, homeliness and beauty, my pen also depicted scenes of crudity, ugliness, crime and horror. While recognizing that such pictures may by their very contrast teach their lesson, on the other hand creations of ugliness and terror are apt to live on in men's minds, and fill them with violent and unhealthy vibrations. Now I gaze down into the lives of men and women who have been considerably influenced by me for either good or ill. This I tell you only to illustrate the lesson.
    ___"Some day every man will attain either the joy or the terror of seeing the effect of his creations, beautiful or the reverse; no matter whether they are merely fictitious characters or actual conditions of life resulting from actions of his which have considerably influenced the lives of others. He will then see his own personal contribution, be it positive or negative, to the collective whole." - Arthur Conan Doyle, from the "after-death" state, as channeled by a medium

"Don't feel sorry for yourself if you have chosen the wrong road - turn around!" - Edgar Cayce

"One should count each day a separate life." - Seneca

"Any pain that comes is to make you understand the nature of joy more deeply and bring you into joy." - Mother Meera

"When you know that you are eternal you can play your true role in time. When you know you are divine you can become completely human. When you know you are one with God you are free to become absolutely yourself..." - Mother Meera

"One common mistake is to think that one reality is *the* reality. You must always be prepared to leave one reality for a greater one." - Mother Meera

"For the mind to flower it has to go beyond what it knows." - Mother Meera

"The true experience of bliss is without words." - Mother Meera

"In silence one can receive more because all one's activities become concentrated at one point. There is only one real rhythm; in silence you hear it. When you live to the rhythm of this silence, you become it, slowly; everything you do, you do to it." - Mother Meera

"Yet it is in this loneliness that the deepest activities begin. It is here that you discover act without motion, labor that is profound repose, vision in obscurity, and, beyond all desire, a fulfillment whose limits extend to infinity." - Thomas Merton

"Every moment and every event of every man's life on earth plants something in his soul. For just as the wind carries thousands of winged seeds so each moment brings with it germs of spiritual vitality that come to rest imperceptibly in the minds and wills of men. Most of these unnumbered seeds perish and are lost, because men are not prepared to receive them: for such seeds as these cannot spring up anywhere except in the good soil of freedom, spontaneity, and love." - Thomas Merton

"At the root of all war is fear; not so much the fear men have of one another as the fear they have of everything." - Thomas Merton

"We have to have a deep, patient compassion for the fears of men and irrational mania of those who hate or condemn us... We have to consider the fact that in its provocative aspect, non-violence may tend to harden the opposition and to confirm people in their righteous blindness." - Thomas Merton

"If you who are seeking love and truth cannot rise above the illusion of turmoil, how can those who are locked in it be helped? It is you who are empowered through the strength of your love, your commitment to truth, who will bring about the elevation of consciousness of those who are wracked in such fear that they would destroy the world rather than acknowledge their own terror." - Emmanuel

"There is never any justification for violence, for hatred, for murder. Those who indulge in violence for whatever reason are themselves changed, and the purity of their [soul] purpose adulterated." - Seth

"With a sense of humor, hate is all too funny and therefore it loses its power. Love, on the other hand, even with a sense of humor, becomes highly precious and large enough so that it can contain old hatreds quite nicely." - Seth

"When you look into yourself, the very effort involved extends the limitations of your consciousness, expands it, and allows the egotistical self to use its abilities that it often does not realize it possesses." - Seth

"If you want to know what you think of yourself, then ask yourself what you think of others and you will find the answer." - Seth

"Say to yourself 'That is in the past. Now in this new moment, this new present, I am already beginning to change for the better.'" - Seth

"In spontaneity there is a discipline that utterly escapes you, and an order beyond any that you know. Spontaneity knows its own order." - Seth

"The people that you can help now and the particular good that you can do, can never again be done in precisely the same way." - Seth

"For the more unlimited your thinking becomes, the more unlimited your life shall become - wherever you are. The greater the heaven you create here, within your own kingdom of thought and emotion, the greater the heaven you will experience when you leave this plane. Those whose thoughts are steeped in guilt, judgment of self and others, and bitterness and hatred toward their brothers, will leave this plane only to continue to experience those attitudes until they learn from them - until they have had their gut full of them and realize that there are grander ways to be and greater heavens to experience." - Ramtha

"The less you think of yourself, the less you become. The less you give credit to yourself for having intelligence, the more of an imbecile you become. The less beautiful you think you are, the more ugly you become. The more impoverished you think you are, the more wretched you become - because YOU have ordained it to be so." - Ramtha

"If you will simply allow yourself to be, and listen to the urgings within your being, the feelings within you, you will always be experiencing what you are most needing in order to expand your wondrous self into greater wisdom and perpetual joy." - Ramtha

2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Joeman Eviiiiiiiil Clown Registered Senior Member

"Not playing to win is like sleeping with your sister"

4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Neutrino_Albatross Legion of Dynamic Discord Registered Senior Member

"Pray that there's intelligent life somewhere up in space 'cause there's bugger all down here on earth" -Monty Python

Sorry. Thats not very inspirational but its the best i could do.

6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Adam §Þ@ç€ MØnk€¥ Registered Senior Member

Git yer damn hands offa mah sistuh!

Git yer damn hands offa mah beer!

Git yer damn hands offa mah pizza!

8. Lykan Golden Sparkler Registered Senior Member

Oh gawd i'm laughing hard at that one.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

Who came up with THAT??

"Not being a cut-throat ambitious bastard is like letting someone fart on your head and then thanking them for it afterwards."

9. Xenu BBS Whore Registered Senior Member

Wow with that huge list, not one of them was from Mark Twain.

-Some men worship rank, some worship heroes, some worship power, some worship God, and over these ideals they dispute -- but they all worship money.

-"It is by the goodness of God that in our country we have those three unspeakably precious things: freedom of speech, freedom of conscience, and the prudence never to practice either of them."

-"It is better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt."

-"The man who does not read good books has no advantage over the man who can't read them."

-Whenever you find that you are on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.

-Don't go around saying the world owes you a living; the world owes you
    nothing; it was here first.

-Suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress. But I repeat myself.

-I never let my schooling interfere with my education.

-The trouble is that the stupid people--who constitute the grand overwhelming majority of this and all other nations--do believe and are moulded and convinced by what they get out of a newspaper.

-"If you tell the truth, you don't have to remember anything."

-Man is the only animal that blushes. Or needs to.

-Man--a creature made at the end of the week's work when God was tired.

-Of the delights of this world, man cares most for sexual intercourse, yet he has left it out of his heaven.

-An ethical man is a Christian holding four aces.

-Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.

--Mark Twain

There are many many more...

-Xenu

10. Lykan Golden Sparkler Registered Senior Member

Thanks for sharing those. I posted some of Mark Twain's quotes previously in this other thread:

http://www.sciforums.com/t7294/s/thread.html

11. Seeker01 Guest

Love your neighbour as yourself.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!