Waterbeds

Discussion in 'Free Thoughts' started by Orleander, Apr 26, 2008.

?

Did you ever have a waterbed?

Poll closed May 26, 2008.
  1. I used to

5 vote(s)
    23.8%
  2. I never have

16 vote(s)
    76.2%
  3. I still do

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Orleander OH JOY!!!! Valued Senior Member

What happened to waterbeds? Are they no longer cool or were they found to be bad for your back? Or was it just because they were such a pain to move? I know lots of rentals wouldn't allow them. Is that why?

2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

Not many places sell them any longer. They went out of style over 30 years ago, where have you been?

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Orleander OH JOY!!!! Valued Senior Member

My husband adn I used to go to a hotel that had a waterbed, but they have retired. Now we can't any hotel with a waterbed. So waterbeds were just a fad like bean bags? They weren't any better for a person's back?

6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

No, they weren't really better for your back, that was only a sales gimmick.

8. Orleander OH JOY!!!! Valued Senior Member

They were really nice when I was pregnant, but I suppose a heating pad would have worked just as well.

9. USS Exeter unamerican american Registered Senior Member

I hate waterbeads. I would wake up in the morning feeling aches all over.

10. Orleander OH JOY!!!! Valued Senior Member

Why did you have one? Were the aches the reason you got rid of it?

11. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

I had some friends that had them. One sprung a leak and wet everything in the bedroom, hall and kitchen! This was before they had liners for them. The othere one had problems because he would toss and turn at night which would make waves in the bed and she couldn't get to sleep easy.

12. Orleander OH JOY!!!! Valued Senior Member

When my folks got divorced my Dad got a waterbed (1974) but not all of it. We went to visit him and on his bedroom floor was something that looked like a giant dead jellyfish. It was just laying there, all brown and square.

13. RubiksMaster Real eyes realize real lies Registered Senior Member

I've never owned one, but I've tried them a few times. They're comfortable at first but I don't think I could ever sleep on one for more than a few nights in a row.

14. USS Exeter unamerican american Registered Senior Member

I stayed overnight at a relative's house and she had a waterbed in the guest bedroom. Hypothetically speaking, if I had owned a waterbed, those aches would have been the reason that I would get rid of it.

15. krokah Registered Senior Member

My cat loved them!! claw-scratch-claw. They were also good to have around when I got sunburned. Just layed on it with a sheet and it drew away alot of heat.

16. weed_eater_guy It ain't broke, don't fix it! Registered Senior Member

I remember an article somewhere where some cattle ranches were trying out an industrial-strength waterbed for cattle, and apparently the cows would actually line up to lay on it for a bit! happy cows, happy milk

17. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

That's udderly ridiculous!

18. Orleander OH JOY!!!! Valued Senior Member

so were they a medical fad like labotomies or more of a fad like lava lamps?

19. USS Exeter unamerican american Registered Senior Member

They were their own fad. Just very popular in the mid-90s.

20. 420Joey SF's Incontestable Pimp Valued Senior Member

I actually have a king sized waterbed with microfoam and it has a heating function and so forth......its actually quite cool and i bought it for only 150 bucks in craigslist :m:

21. Spaazkaz anti-religious spiritual type Registered Senior Member

I always wanted a water bed. I dont think i could sleep on just the waterbed part but has anyone put a memory foam liner on top of one? seems like it might be comfy? -Spaz-

22. Asguard Kiss my dark side Valued Senior Member

i herd an ad for one ages ago and i so wanted to get one. Aparently the new ones use internal suports like a normal matress so that you dont go surfing in the middle of the night. Actually i herd a great joke about that once, it went something like:

"I went to bed at 8 and tossed and turned till 8:30 and the bed keep going till 12"

23. Fraggle Rocker Staff Member

We have never allowed them in our rentals. Two reasons. 1. Weight. Water weighs eight pounds per gallon and can put a lot of strain on a floor, more than a heavy appliance. 2. Water (duh). As unlikely as it is, we really don't want the risk of that many gallons of water leaking. Obviously both of these risks are even worse on an upper floor.

We tried one once in a motel. My wife didn't like it too much but found it bearable. I found it unbearable. I need rigidity, not something that "conforms" to gravity. It was just horrible for two, because if one person moves the whole bloody thing starts to shimmy.

I now have a Sleep Number ("Select Comfort") bed in my studio and it's wonderful. I set it very firm for nice even support, but I can change it fast whenever I want. Back home we have a Seven-Zone bed and that's really nice too. Each section of the mattress has a different level of support, corresponding to the mass and structure of each section of your body.