Picture Book for Kids about Plastic Surgery

Discussion in 'Free Thoughts' started by shorty_37, Apr 21, 2008.

1. shorty_37 Go! Canada Go! Registered Senior Member

COSMETIC SURGERY
    Mommy 2.0
    A new picture book about plastic surgery aims to explain why mom is getting a flatter tummy and a 'prettier' nose.

"My Beautiful Mommy" is aimed at kids ages four to seven and features a plastic surgeon named Dr. Michael (a musclebound superhero type) and a girl whose mother gets a tummy tuck, a nose job and breast implants.

http://www.newsweek.com/id/132536

In my opinion this world is really going to shit. We are we teaching kids at such a young age that beauty is everything, it's completely wrong.

2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. shichimenshyo Caught in the machine Registered Senior Member

we should put them into some kind of pageant so they can really learn american values

4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. CutsieMarie89 Zen Registered Senior Member

I haven't read this book, but maybe its like one of those sex-ed or new baby books. Where the book can help explain to the child what is going on in their lives, without their parents having to explain it themselves. Maybe to reassure the child about the operation or whatever because when my mother had sugery I was very worried about her and having a book I could have read to me at the time would have been reassuring I think, but I was only 3.

6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. shorty_37 Go! Canada Go! Registered Senior Member

I think all it is teaching them is how to be vain and they will grow up thinking that they aren't perfect either and are going to go under the knife as well.
    The article is pretty much saying she is still you mommy just " The New Improved" beautiful one. I think it is sending the wrong message, just like those child beauty pageants.

8. CutsieMarie89 Zen Registered Senior Member

Oh then thats not reassuring at all. "New Improved" sounds like an upgrade of a car. Thats not a message anyone should be sent. Here in LA the broadcast commercials on the radio that treat plastic surgery like its a day at the beauty salon and not major surgery. Its a little disturbing.

9. shorty_37 Go! Canada Go! Registered Senior Member

They do here too. They say more women are heading in for botox injections and procedures on their lunch hour, like its no big deal. Personally I will never be injecting any of that crap into my face.

10. CutsieMarie89 Zen Registered Senior Member

Plastic surgery isn't something I commonly think about. I don't think they have a big market for making people look older. But the surgery book is a good idea i think I'll write one when I become a surgeon.

11. Carcano Valued Senior Member

Its become fashionable for women to make themselves look appalling.

This is the real problem, not tummy tucks.

Whats the point in getting a nose job if your going to turn around and put a steel bolt through it?

For five thousand years women strived for beauty...now they strive to resemble an escapee from a lunatic asylum.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2008
  12. Orleander OH JOY!!!! Valued Senior Member

I swear, damned if you do, damned if you don't. I'm vain. If I wasn't I would wear sweats, ratty t-shirt, flip flops all day. Not brush my teeth, comb my hair, or wear make-up. I would eat every damn thing I wanted to and to hell with my weight. I would never shave a leg or armpit again! but people give those women crap for not being vain.

I wouldn't be caught dead outside my house in sweats. I think its sloppy and saying "I don't care anymore" I watch my weight, and any woman who says they do as well, but only for health reasons is a liar! I wear make-up and stay out of the sun. Some women get a tan. Why? Cuz they are vain. We get out hair cut. We color our hair. We put on make-up. None of that is natural. None of that is anymore natural than botox or a boob job. Those women get crap for being vain.
    We are all vain.

13. shorty_37 Go! Canada Go! Registered Senior Member

There are degrees of being vain.

14. Fabio4all Registered Member

why is plastic surgery any better then, say, botox or just make-up?

15. Orleander OH JOY!!!! Valued Senior Member

No matter how much botox or makeup you put on a bumpy nose or a flat chest, it won't make the bump go away or the boobs get bigger.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

I think some women think others should only have as much vanity as they do. Women who do more work are vain, women who do less are lazy pigs. It seems like a never ending contest, which they are determined to win by putting others down.

I have no issues with the book. Hell, a doctor who knows what he's talking about wrote it. What's the big deal anyways??

16. USS Exeter unamerican american Registered Senior Member

The book is fine, although I wonder how its marketing will do. How many families are out there in which the Mom has undergone plastic surgery?

17. CutsieMarie89 Zen Registered Senior Member

I don't wear make up or watch my weight. I wear jeans and a sweatshirt everyday. I only comb my hair so that it won't grow into dredlocks and then I just put a hat on anyway so it doesn't matter. I don't think that women should be put down for having plastic surgery I just don't think that telling kids that their mother is inadequate isn't a great approach. I mean I would hate to hear that about my mother even now as an adult.