should logic be mandatory as a course in school?

Discussion in 'Free Thoughts' started by pjdude1219, Apr 20, 2008.

?

should logic be mandatory as a course in school?

1. yes

9 vote(s)
    81.8%
  2. no

2 vote(s)
    18.2%
  1. pjdude1219 The biscuit has risen Valued Senior Member

should logic be mandatory as a course in school? i mean having a population that is trained to think logically would be a boon would it not. if nothing else it would help elevate the level of discourse.

2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. draqon Banned Banned

No because logic is different to everyone's perspective

4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. iceaura Valued Senior Member

It should be taught already, in composition and rhetoric.

Also in math.

It shouldn't be necessary to devote a special class to it.

6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. gogotradeb2c Banned Banned

It should be!!!

8. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

Todays children have sooooo much shit to learn already that adding another subject wouldn't be such a great idea. They can't do so well on what they have to learn now, overall, so how would this help them?

Last edited: Apr 20, 2008
  9. Syzygys As a mother, I am telling you Valued Senior Member

It is of course not true. But my answer is no too, because people just too stupid and then we would have a bunch of failed students...

10. Varda The Bug Lady Valued Senior Member

yes

some people are natural logical thinkers, though... not everyone would do as good as these

11. visceral_instinct Monkey see, monkey denigrate Valued Senior Member

Definitely...although people would probably just do what they already do in many classes, which is sit back, doodle, and completely ignore what they are being taught.

12. greenberg until the end of the world Registered Senior Member

Not unless intense classes for developing psychological and ethical stability would be introduced too.

I think logic is fine, but I'm afraid most people do not have the psychological and ethical means to accomodate the process of logical thought and its conclusions.

13. Varda The Bug Lady Valued Senior Member

because the logical process would crush one's ilusions and go against the nonsense his parents taught him?

14. pjdude1219 The biscuit has risen Valued Senior Member

from my point of learning logic is like learning to think in a way that reduces one biases and it makes you able to make better choices. that is why i think it should be mandatory

15. joepistole Deacon Blues Valued Senior Member

It is true that we are all different in how we approach decision making. Some folks are more logical in their thought processes than others. And some folks are more emotional in their decision making.

However, logic taught at the high school level I think should be a required. Each of us as electors have a responsibility to evaluate issues and canidates based on rational discourse. Teaching folks logic will, I hope, at least expose electors to knowledge of illogical arguements of which we are constantly exposed too. Most notably from the Hannity, Limbaugh, and Hillarys' of the world.

As consumers of information, we the electors, need to be aware of how information is manipulated to promote various entities and interests. Hopefully knowledge of logic will enhance the ability of the electorate to some degree, and that would ultimately be good for all of us.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2008
  16. iceaura Valued Senior Member

If you have enough info to handle things with formal logic, you are probably not dealing with a real world political problem.

17. Xerxes asdfghjkl Valued Senior Member

Absolutely

In fact, I think that logic should be introduced before arithmetic.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2008