Censorship!

Discussion in 'Free Thoughts' started by lucifers angel, Apr 17, 2008.

1. lucifers angel same shit, differant day!! Registered Senior Member

I don't like censorship, i think it should be down to the public what they watch, i mean seriously we have enough warnings on DVD'S, to know what a film consists of,

for example, Rush Hour 3, (which i watched last night) is a aged 15, i would let my son watch, (waiting for the bad mum speach from certain people), it wasn't has bad has the warning made out, in fact it was funny and entertaining,

But who agree agrees that for the most part, it should be down to the public what they want to watch, obvioulsy i am not talking "snuff" films, thats not right, i am talking films that you can rent from your local "Blockbuster" (or the likes of) video store,

personally i dont like that fact that a few people gather around and sit in a room, and watch a film, and decide if i can watch it or not, so who agrees with me, censorship is getting to much and we should be allowed to form opinions for ourselves?

Also if you have kids, and they want to watch a film, then the mums and dads should watch it first, yes i know every child if differant, but each mum and dad knows they're own child, and knows what they can and cannot watch. shouldn't it be left to the mums and dads to decide?

2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. MacGyver1968 Fixin' Shit that Ain't Broke Valued Senior Member

I don't think it's actually "censorship" because they really aren't telling you what you can or cannot watch. It's not like goverment jack-booted thugs are kicking in your door.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

Rating just give parents a quick way of determining what's appropriate for their children. It's done by private industry, so if the market doesn't like it, they wouldn't have them.

For instance...I recently saw "Pan's Labyrinth". I thought from the trailers, that it was a kid's movie. It certainly wasn't. The ratings don't always work, but they can help.

4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. lucifers angel same shit, differant day!! Registered Senior Member

i saw pans labryinth and yeah i agree it wasnt a kids film, however i ahve seen films i.e the excorsist and it wasnt cut and when they released it on DVD it was cut to pieces making the film "differant" (let me get accross now, i will never let my kids watch the excorsist) if its ok to have uncut films in the cinema and not on DVD, then whats the differance?

6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. phlogistician Banned Banned

Do you keep your DVD's in a locked drawer? No, I bet not, so kids can see 18 reated DVD's easily. Kids have to get past the person in the box office to see an 18, however, so cinemas can show different content to what is aired on TV and on DVD.

Oh, and the BBFC is now now as 'British Board of Film Classification', the 'Censors' part was exchanged for 'Classification' some time ago, and now they advise on what content gets which rating. We don't have a board of censors, therefore, just good taste and educated decision making.

8. lucifers angel same shit, differant day!! Registered Senior Member

no of course i dont keep my DVD's in a locked drawer, but my younger child knows if i havent let him watch somthing its because for a good reason, so he doesnt watch them. (you have got to have some sort of trust in your kids)

if censorship isnt anymore then why did i watch "meet joe black" on TV and they cut out the scene where he gets run over?

9. phlogistician Banned Banned

Trust your kids, ... yes, make it easy for them to watch stuff in an unlocked drawer, ... that's too trusting. All kids will find forbidden fruit irresistible at some point, it's just a matter of time.

Like I said, it's matter of good taste and educated decisions, so I'm hardly surprised you don't get it.

10. Challenger78 Valued Senior Member

Versions for TV are edited more than DVD's. Thats my experience with Black Hawk Down.

11. lucifers angel same shit, differant day!! Registered Senior Member

and i suppose you have an harvard education do you?

i do make educated decisions, and i know that i can trust my son not to watch anything i havent said is ok for him! obviously if you dont get it, then i suggest that you become a father

12. Orleander OH JOY!!!! Valued Senior Member

The movie was rated PG-13 and maybe they edited it to bring it down to a PG level? They also edit movies so they can add commercials. I consider it editing, not censorship. But I suppose they could be seen as the same thing.

13. Syzygys As a mother, I am telling you Valued Senior Member

It is meant to be a guidance system, not censorship. After all, people (just like you) want to be able to tell which movie can be allowed to certain age kids...

Last edited: Apr 17, 2008
  14. lucifers angel same shit, differant day!! Registered Senior Member

and it totally spoilt the premiss of the whole film, when he gets run over and killed she had just finished having coffee with him in the cafe, and that was what the film was about, take that out, you might as well not watch the film!