Cheapest way to Brazil?

Discussion in 'Free Thoughts' started by Xerxes, Apr 16, 2008.

1. Xerxes asdfghjkl Valued Senior Member

Hi everyone,

This is an unusual question. What is the cheapest/fastest way from Canada to Brazil and then back?
    Now most of you will tell me to take a plane, but round trip costs around $3000, and I plan to spend no more than four thousand on the entire trip.

I'll be leaving in late November and staying for a month and a half. What do you guys recommend? Also, does anyone know if December's a good time to visit the country?

2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. draqon Banned Banned

4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

Pack yourself into a large crate, make sure to have water and blankets. Then ship yourself to wherever you want to go. That will save you allot of money!

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. phlogistician Banned Banned

Have you checked you fares properly? I just checked, and I could get from the UK to Brazil for less than £500,... er, about $1K CAD.

Returns to Canada from here are less than £400, ...

So you could fly via London and pay less, ....

8. Enmos Valued Senior Member

Who are you visiting ?

9. Syzygys As a mother, I am telling you Valued Senior Member

I also thought about freighter ships but when I looked up the price it is about $100 per day, and my guess is about 10 days between Canada and Brazil. So a return trip would be 2K.

But I found it hard to believe you can not get a plane ticket for that price...

If you live on the East part, consider driving to the US and fly from there. At Orbitz.com a NYC to Rio return flight for a week is $1400. So driving and leaving your car probably cost another 3-400$, you are still faster and better off than on ship....

Actually this works if you live on the West, you just have to pay a few 100s more....

Last edited: Apr 16, 2008
  10. draqon Banned Banned

Ok Xerxes, check it out...if you get from Canada to Detroit (which is like on border of Canada)...well go to Detroit Metro Airport and book with Delta

Detroit-Wayne County, MI (DTW) to Sao Paulo, Brazil (GRU) on Sun, 23 Nov 2008

the round trip will cost you: 840$

DTW to GRU

My dating times were: Nov 23, 2008 to Jan 15, 2009

I picked: coach lowest fares

HOWEVER YOU MUST BUY THE TICKET AS SOON AS POSSIBLE!

http://www.delta.com/booking/retrie...YYDxXcRVpp6HX&UIStatus=P&ts=1208355209324#top

11. Syzygys As a mother, I am telling you Valued Senior Member

I have just realized you are traveling in November. Orbitz has a bunch of 1 stop flights (NYC >>> GIG) under 1K if you buy your ticket now...

So I guess your question was answered....

(I can't believe Orbitz or Priceline doesn't advertise in Canada)

12. draqon Banned Banned

and to get to USA, detroit...just use PeterPan

13. Sputnik Banned Banned

That IS cheap ..... I just checked Air Canada :

14. Xerxes asdfghjkl Valued Senior Member

HOLY CRAP! haha that's awesome. Thanks a bunch.

I'd have to catch a flight out east, but that's still way way way cheaper than I had expected. About how much longer before the tickets are sold out, do you know?

Last edited: Apr 17, 2008
  15. Xerxes asdfghjkl Valued Senior Member

No one, I'm just in love with the country.

16. Varda The Bug Lady Valued Senior Member

my husband flies here every couple of months, just keep an eye for savers fares and you can find a round trip for under 1k

december is the BEST time to vist, it's right in the middle of summer

where are you going in brasil?

17. Varda The Bug Lady Valued Senior Member

btw, if you come to sao paulo and I'm still here at the time, we're getting beer

18. Syzygys As a mother, I am telling you Valued Senior Member

Depends on the season. It is good to buy it in advance, because oilprices won't go down anytime soon, and they keep adding to it surcharges.

There were still tickets for next week, so I assume they are not selling out that fast. In my experience all the different online ticketcompanies selling the same tickets, so there isn't much difference between one or the other.

19. Snuffleupagus Banned Banned

cheap, fast, or good, pick 2

20. Xerxes asdfghjkl Valued Senior Member

so many places!

I want to see everything. It's a two day old decision, so the travel course is in it's very early stages, but here's a rough draft:
    -Amazon, starting in Manaus. Mingle with the locals. Go down the river in a boat, do some fishing, visit with the natives and go on a psychedelic vision quest, see the wildlife, eat wildlife, taste unusual Brazillian fruits.
    -Salvador Bahia, Sao Paulo, Rio De Janeiro, Curitiba, Fortaleza, Ilha Grande, Brasilia and probably some other areas (any recommendations?)
    -Maybe Recife.. but I'm afraid to go there
    -Iguacu falls

Also, I might pop across Argentina and into Chile, or maybe visit Montevideo and then Buenos Aires, but time and money are limiting factors. Plus, the Spanish speaking parts of South America sound boring.

Oh, and I'd love to hang out if you're still in town.

Any cool places in Brazil you recommend visiting, Varda?

21. draqon Banned Banned

remember, Varda's married

22. Xerxes asdfghjkl Valued Senior Member

oh, I know.
    Don't worry Varda, I'm not a playa

23. Varda The Bug Lady Valued Senior Member

The places you picked are pretty good for giving you a global idea of how diverse Brazil is... you'll see a bit of everything

Brasilia is cool for the arquitecture but the city is just boring. Curitiba is a lovely city but it doesn't have anything absolutely amazing that you just have to see, and Sao Paulo is just one fucking enormous city, which I love of course, but doesn't vary much from any enormous city. So these are are places you can visit for just 2 or 3 days, so you save some more time for the other places that demand more time.

In Sao Paulo I recomend you going for a walk in Paulista Avenue and nearby streets and have lunch at A Mineira while at it, or Bolinha's restaurant for the best fucking feijoada you will ever eat. Also in Paulista there is MASP, an art museumm and a bunch of other cool things. The Ibirapuera Park is also a cool place to go, there is always something happening there and there are lots of museums in it.

Stay at least a whole week in Rio. Do all the typical tourist stuff because it's just beautiful. Or not... spend all the time by the beaches if you feel like it... Rio just has such a cool atmosphere you want to be there and hang out. There are lots of bars with live music, which I know you're interested in. Just avoid the yellow and the red lines and DONT GO IN ANY FAVELAS, even if you meet some cool guys who invite you in to smoke some pot.

I've been to Salvador once and it was for work, but even then it was pretty cool. The food is amazing and the beaches are beautiful. There is also a lot of interesting stuff happening there musicaly speaking. Go to Pelourinho, go to Farol da Barra, go to Mercado Municipal, go see Timbalada.

I've never been to Fortaleza, but my sister has and I've heard many good things about it. Beautiful beaches and etc...

I think you should go to Ouro Preto in Minas Gerais. It's a historic city from the times when Brazil was huge on sending gold to Portugal. Just google it for images and see if that kind of stuff interests you. It's also an university city so there is lots of stuff to do there at night with the younger croud, make some friends and etcetc

Foz do Iguacu is AMAZING, i went there and it blew my mind, it's just too beautiful. Go to the Brazilian side of it, of course, where you see the water from below, and you go so near you get completely soaked. It's awesome, you'll love it.

I've never been to Manaus, I'd love to go.

There is a lot of other places that I could recomend, even some places that I haven't been yet and would like to go, but I think the places you picked are more than enough for 6 weeks. It'll leave you wishing you could stay for longer

Anyway, find the places you like the most and then come back again to know them better

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-OPVl6kiN8I