20 Things About Sex....

Discussion in 'Free Thoughts' started by Orleander, Apr 11, 2008.

1. Orleander OH JOY!!!! Valued Senior Member

20 Things You Didn't Know About Sex

I think #6 works for humans as well.

1 Life emerged on earth about 3.8 billion years ago, but sex did not evolve until more than 2 billion years later. Dirty limericks emerged only quite recently, geologically speaking.

2 Sex—what is it good for? Scientists are not sure, since asexual reproduction is a better evolutionary strategy in some important ways.

3 For those who refuse to commit to one strategy: The hermaphroditic earthworm Dendrobaena rubida has both male and female genitalia. If it cannot find a partner, the worm doubles up so that its female bits and male bits can go to town.

4 Although famously monogamous, female Adélie penguins slip away from their mates occasionally to couple with unattached males. They exact a fee for such a dalliance—stones to bolster their nests—not unlike certain people.

5 Some talented penguin teasers can get a gift even without putting out. Again, not unlike certain people.

6 Barbary macaques have a distinctive way to get their mates to make a sperm donation: yelling. If the female does not shout, the male almost never climaxes.

7 How do we know this? German primatologist Dana Pfefferle watched a group of macaques, counting the females’ yells and the males’ pelvic thrusts. She says this work is “quite weird, but it’s science.”

8 Here in the US of A, that kind of stuff ends up on YouTube.

9 Because Barry White sounds terrible underwater: Fish can produce a variety of noises with their bones, teeth, and gas bladders. Grant Gilmore of Estuarine Coastal and Ocean Science Inc. says that male fish probably use some of these sounds to woo females.

10 The spiny anteater, an egg-laying mammal native to Australia and New Guinea, has a penis with four heads, but only two fit into the female at once.

11 The tiny male paper nautilus, an octopus, impregnates the much larger female by shooting his penis (a modified tentacle) into her—and leaving it there.

12 Homosexual behavior is found in at least 1,500 species of mammal, fish, reptile, bird, and even invertebrate.

13 My two dads: When a male goose courts another male goose, a female sometimes slips in and mates with both males. Later, the male partners share paternal duties.

14 Some seagulls practice lesbian mating, although the eggs that result from their liaisons are sterile.

15 Biologists at the University of California at San Francisco have found that male fruit flies exposed to high levels of alcohol become hypersexual and try to court practically anything with wings, including other male fruit flies. Eventually the revelry turns into a dysfunctional orgy, with “a chain of males chasing each other,” says one insect expert.

16 As the flies get increasingly tanked, their chance for mating success keeps dropping. This is one more reason why the fruit fly is a great model for studying humans.

17 Only a few vertebrates besides humans copulate face to face. Among those that sometimes do this: hamsters, beavers, and some primates, such as bonobos and orangutans.

18 French kissing is rarer still. The only other species known to do it as a prelude to mating is the white-fronted parrot. After the birds open their beaks and touch tongues, the male spews his lunch onto the female’s chest.

19 It is here that the mating habits of the white-fronted parrot and Homo sapiens diverge.

20 Size really does matter: People tend to choose mates of similar race, education level—and chubbiness. A recent British study indicates that obese people usually select partners with comparable levels of body fat.

2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Varda The Bug Lady Valued Senior Member

omg the octopus what?

4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Spud Emperor solanaceous common tater Registered Senior Member

She means mollusc but yeah, I shot my load and my bits!
    I'm a virgin.. I'm never gonna make love again.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 12, 2008
  6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Orleander OH JOY!!!! Valued Senior Member

I just found this list interesting. I knew the face to face mating was kinda rare, but I hadn't even given a thought to French kissing. I bet anal sex is even rarer then.
    And why would an animal evolve a penis with 4 heads? Are all of them functional?

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 12, 2008
  8. Spud Emperor solanaceous common tater Registered Senior Member

Sure they're all functional. Why? To keep Mrs. Echidna ( fucking spiny anteater my arse) happy.
    Snakes also have a hemi penis ( two heads).

My question is, can you have only one penile head erect at one time or are they both erect simultaneously?

9. BarbieGirl14 Registered Senior Member

I think the think about other species being homosexual is interesting.

I always thought this was only humans due to how we grow up and our invironment. I never thought it was completely natural though due to pherimones.

Now I have to make a whole new theory on why people can be homosexual.

=(

10. Spud Emperor solanaceous common tater Registered Senior Member

Cover your ears, wash your mouth out with soap and go to your room!...NOW!

11. BarbieGirl14 Registered Senior Member

Your very mature....

12. Spud Emperor solanaceous common tater Registered Senior Member

Yes am are.

13. pjdude1219 The biscuit has risen Valued Senior Member

the great thing about snakes is they have a hook at the end to keep them in and since sexual dimorphism is reversed in snakes sometimes the female snake gets bored and slithers off dragging the male snake behind it

14. Spud Emperor solanaceous common tater Registered Senior Member

15. Orleander OH JOY!!!! Valued Senior Member

so does anyone know if the male nautilus dies after it looses its penis? I mean, what evolutionary reason would he have to live? He's just food after that isn't he? And what if he misses? Or accidentally grabs another male?

16. USS Exeter unamerican american Registered Senior Member

If you were talking about homosexuality, then no.

17. Varda The Bug Lady Valued Senior Member

males from a lot of different species die right after coitus... I think the most popularly known ones are the praying mantis and the spiders... that's what the male's whole existance adds up to... one night stand!

18. Chatha big brown was screwed up Registered Senior Member

Human males have the biggest penis of all the primates. I don't really know why some people are homosexual but I think its more enviromental than genetic. I've met many people who claim to be bisexual only to later choose a certain sex. There was a culture in Africa where a man was given several other men as his brides (someone should look this up) as part of some kind of initiation, plus we all know about the sexual adventures of ancient greeks. In my school, almost every girl is a "lesbian" or has been with a girl, its like some kind of plague, and almost all of them also go with guys. I think the real lesbians have managed to convince other girls into thinking women are better, and since women will listen to whatever another woman will say we now have girl on girl action everywhere. I mean I was with a potential girlfriend once at a bar when a "lesbian" was signaling her to come over, I was mad, should I have treated the lesbian "equaly" by telling her to step outside and taste my knuckle sandwich. I don't even mind the idea but some of them actually convince themselves that women are more emotionaly available; of cause nobody is going to say "i'm just a sexual freak that can't get enough". To sum it up I think Homosexuality is just another "monkey see monkey do" thing.

19. guthrie paradox generator Registered Senior Member

Wow, nobody actually knows anything about homosexuality here.

The most likely explanation is exposure to different hormones in the mothers womb affecting the parts of the brain which control sexual attraction. So there is something of a genetic component in it, but it is not everything, and it is not a matter of personal choice, although given the way people can fetishise just about anything, some people will change their orientation. Human sexuality is a lot more complex than most people bother to think it is.

20. redarmy11 Registered Senior Member

I find this one amazing. I wonder if any other non-humans prostitute themselves - or is it just the Adélies and us?

21. Spud Emperor solanaceous common tater Registered Senior Member

Breaking news " Adelie slut arrested for solicitation by rock copper "

22. Spud Emperor solanaceous common tater Registered Senior Member

Her fate had long been sealed.

23. redarmy11 Registered Senior Member

No point whaling about it now.