Did the Nazis have a right to condemn the tactics of the French Resistance?

Discussion in 'History' started by S.A.M., Apr 8, 2008.

?

Did the Nazis have a right to condemn the tactics of the French Terrorists?

1. Yes, they were against the law and international treaties

14.3%
  2. No, they were fighting for their freedom

57.1%
  3. Some other opinion

28.6%
  1. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

Le Struthof or Camp du Struthof in Alsace has a particular significance for the French because it was the main Nazi concentration camp where French resistance fighters were sent after they were captured by the Germans during World War II. The camp, also known as Natzwiller-Struthof, has become a symbol of the French resistance against the evils of Fascism during the German occupation of France. Although there were around 40,000 French citizens who were convicted of collaborating with the Nazis, there were also thousands of brave men and women who did not accept the capitulation of France and continued to fight Fascism as civilian soldiers or partisans in defiance of both the Geneva Convention of 1929 and the Armistice signed by France and Germany after France surrendered.

The French resistance fighters blew up bridges, derailed trains, directed the British in the bombing of German troop trains, kidnapped and killed German army officers, and ambushed German troops. They took no prisoners, but rather killed any German soldiers who surrendered to them, sometimes mutilating their bodies for good measure. The Nazis referred to them as "terrorists."

The photo below shows a Nazi poster which depicts the heroes of the French resistance as members of a Army of Crime.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

The French resistance was in direct violation of the Armistice signed by the French, which stipulated the following:

The French Government will forbid French citizens to fight against Germany in the service of States with which the German Reich is still at war. French citizens who violate this provision are to be treated by German troops as insurgents.​

Since Great Britain was the only country still at war with the German Reich, the collaboration of the French resistance with the British was a violation of the Armistice, as was the later collaboration of the partisans with American troops after the Normandy invasion. According to the Geneva Convention of 1929, the French resistance fighters were non-combatants who did not have the rights of Prisoners of War if they were captured.

http://www.scrapbookpages.com/natzweiler/History/FrenchResistance.html

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Mr.Spock Back from the dead Valued Senior Member

you mean NAZIS or israelis?

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. HGVonGalten Registered Member

When someone invades your country, all law (and treaties) are moot. One does what needs to be done if he or she is patriotic. So Germany - by breaking the Treaty of Versailles no less than 7 times - did not have much of a moral high ground to accuse those folks of being terrorists.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. sowhatifit'sdark Valued Senior Member

The Nazis had the power, for a while, to condemn their actions. But perhaps you mean 'do you think the French resistance was acting morally?' Certainly sounds like I do from your description of their acts and what I already knew myself.

8. Mr.Spock Back from the dead Valued Senior Member

dont be naive, SAM cares for the french as she does for cockroaches. its another i hate israel thread.

9. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

So if the Nazis had complained against the French resistance, by the Geneva Convention Act, the world would condemn them as terrorists?

10. s0meguy Worship me or suffer eternally Valued Senior Member

A "right"?

what exactly does this mean? Rights don't exist in the objective world. If you're talking about the moral "right", most people will just say no unless they're some neonazi or something. If you're talking about legal right, probably not under the Nazi law :/

11. sowhatifit'sdark Valued Senior Member

I'm not naive. I see where she is going. When she goes there the discussion changes. What group do you think are like cockroaches? Or have I misunderstood your earlier posts in other threads?

12. Mr.Spock Back from the dead Valued Senior Member

you are so predictable SAM

good luck with your "i hate israel" thread.

13. Mr.Spock Back from the dead Valued Senior Member

jews are cockroaches of course.

just ask kadark. no wait he said they are parasites, my bad.

14. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

Could we keep the discussion on the French resistance? I'm interested in their status at the time and what the perception about them was.

15. Mr.Spock Back from the dead Valued Senior Member

well like all of us you have to realize you dont own other people opinions. maybe next time be less transparent.

so you have a guest list for the holocaust memorial day? time is short you know.

i heard genji and brian folly will happy to come to your party.

16. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

Spock:

Do you think Britain and the US broke international law by helping the resistance?

Were they supporting terrorists?

And what is your vote for the question?

17. sowhatifit'sdark Valued Senior Member

They were violating that convention themselves so they were not in position to follow some international process and get support. They had the power to capture and punish what they called terrorists. And they used that power.

18. Mr.Spock Back from the dead Valued Senior Member

is that an invitation?

im busy at the holocaust memorial day sorry.

19. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

Not after France surrendered and signed the Armistice. After that the resistance was illegal by both domestic and international law.

Like Iraqi insurgency for example.

20. sowhatifit'sdark Valued Senior Member

But, as I said, Germany was not in a good position to start appealing to international courts. I doubt that Germany's invasion was sanctioned by international law. In fact that they even created such a strong military went against international agreements. I assume these were overlooked in part because it was so damn profitable for powerful people in the very countries who placed restrictions on Germany after WWI. I am quite sure that Germany was also breaking international laws in a variety of ways already in their treatment of civilians.

21. Mr.Spock Back from the dead Valued Senior Member

:roflmao:

22. John99 Banned Banned

It depends. If you like love Nazi's and secretly wear SS uniform to pose in front of mirror, put Hitler mustache on self with marker etc. Then you would see French as terrorists. Did the Nazis actually use the term terrorist?

23. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

So you're saying that the French resistance was not considered as terrorists except by the Germans?

That Britain and US were not seen as terrorist supporters for funding an insurgency in an occupied country?

Becuase Germany had a

- a large military

- the invasion was not sanctioned by international law

-German treatment of civilians (I assume captured civilians) was less than exemplary?

Those reasons seem inadequate.

Did the French government condemn the British and Americans for their acts?

Last edited: Apr 8, 2008