Mobile phones!!

Discussion in 'Free Thoughts' started by lucifers angel, Apr 8, 2008.

1. lucifers angel same shit, differant day!! Registered Senior Member

At what age do you think that a child needs a phone?

My youngest son who is just 8yrs old, has a phone and i was told that, that was irresonsible and that he was to young, don;t get me wrong its not a high end phone its a cheap one (for now, to see if he looks after it) but this person even thinks that a 14yr old shouldnt need a phone!

So at what age should a child have a phone?

2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

When they can pay for it themselves!

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. lucifers angel same shit, differant day!! Registered Senior Member

my kids do pay for it, my son has to earn credit, and my daughter has a contract phone and she has a certain amount of minutes a months free, and if she does go over it, she has to earn the money to pay for it by doing jobs at home, and babysitting.

6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

Good, teaching responsibility to them is a great way to introduce them into the society in which they will be a part of.

8. clusteringflux Version 1. OH! Valued Senior Member

Needs a mobile phone? Well, I've never owned a cellphone and I'm still alive so my answer is , at no age does someone "need" a cellphone.

Plus the cancer risk is higher in developing cells and with prolonged (years and years) use.

9. shorty_37 Go! Canada Go! Registered Senior Member

I used to have one a long time ago. I haven't had one in yrs and don't miss it one bit!
    I actually can't stand ppl that are having personal conversations outloud while grocery shopping or where ever. It always seems like they are talking about BS!

I can understand ppl who need them for their jobs, or on the road alot.

Almost all of my sons friends have cell phones aging 11-15. He keeps bringing it up and I keep
    saying what do you "NEED" one for? Oh in case he has to call me if he is outside.
    I said well all your friends have cellphones right? You can call from theirs if it is that important. I also said I am not going to pay for it so you can chit chat on it about nonsense. He has a paper route and I said if you want a cell phone, you can pay for it from that. He doesn't like that idea since he only makes about 50.00 a month. It will take up almost his whole paycheck.
    I basically said well isn't that too bad. I said you have no problem that all the food thats in the fridge cuts into most of my paycheck do ya

It's life!

As for the proper age, only you can decide for your own child. Personally I don't think these kids "need" them.
    In my house I think 11 is too young.

Last edited: Apr 8, 2008
  10. clusteringflux Version 1. OH! Valued Senior Member

How about the guy with the Two Way in a while you're out eating dinner?

*BEEP BEEP*
    "HEY JIM, WHAT THE FU@K'S GOIN ON?!"

*BEEP BEEP*
    "AW NOTHIN, JUST SITTIN HERE HAVIN SOME GRUB, HOW BOUT YOU!?"

*BEEP BEEP*
    "NOT MUCH, JUST SCREAMING INTO MY PHONE?!"

and on and on.

11. shorty_37 Go! Canada Go! Registered Senior Member

Yes those ppl too. Also the ones in the Video store who walk around and keep asking what movie to pick. Usually it is some man talking to his wife.
    I mean get some balls and just make a god damn decision on your own!

Or I love the ones that cut me off when I am driving and then have the nerve to give me a dirty look when I pass them!

Or at the gym, talking on the treadmill. I mean give it a rest!!

So as you can tell I am not a big fan of them. When my son wants one that bad and is willing to pay for it. He can be my guest. Until then it isn't going to happen. I don't really care how many kids are carrying them around.

12. Challenger78 Valued Senior Member

not 8yr olds. I didn't get my first phone until 13.

13. Steve100 O͓͍̯̬̯̙͈̟̥̳̩͒̆̿ͬ̑̀̓̿͋ͬ ̙̳ͅ ̫̪̳͔O Valued Senior Member

As soon as you deem them old enough to go places by themselves.
    That's what I reckon

eg. 2 ten year old lads go off to play in the woods, one breaks his leg. A phone would be a really nice thing to have.

14. Challenger78 Valued Senior Member

unless you get no signal.

15. Absane Rocket Surgeon Valued Senior Member

I got by just fine without a cell phone until I was 19. A child doesn't need a cellphone. When they are 16 they can get a job if they need one.

What would we have done back in the 50s if this happened?

Of course, Lassie is dead

16. Asguard Kiss my dark side Valued Senior Member

i was 18 before i got a phone, and have had one ever since. Actually i find the thing irritating most of the time, i keep losing the charger and then people winge at me that "my phones off" (especially my father and my partner)

GOD DAMIT, what ever happened to leaving a message on the answering machine

17. ang2223 Registered Member

My oldest daughter has one (15) and pays for it herself, bought it herself. I used to have a pay as you go that i would giver her if she was going to a dance, or somewhere that something could go "wrong" but it was MINE and she could only use if for emergency calls.
    But thats me my oldest boy (14) hates them and hates when he out with his friends and they spend more time on their phones then they do skateboarding or whatever.

18. phlogistician Banned Banned

Children do not need mobile phones. Children just think they need them. They can talk to their friends at breaks at school, and online at home, or by getting on their bike and actually going around to see them.

There is growing evidence that long term exposure to microwaves is rather bad for your brain, and therefore it's hardly responsible to let children use them.

19. ang2223 Registered Member

there are a lot of things that aren't good for your children, some you can control, some you can't, i am not going to give up driving all together even though i know the pollution isn't good for them, i am not going to tear down my deck because its pressure treated wood.

20. lucifers angel same shit, differant day!! Registered Senior Member

this is where i have to disagree with you, My son has a phone because he somtimes sleeps over at his friends house, and if he ever gets worried about being from home he can call me or his dad!!

also he texts his cousion.

21. Enmos Valued Senior Member

Cellphones are pure evil ! I hate them, HATE THEM

Sorry...

22. phlogistician Banned Banned

Here is where you are wrong; kids had sleepovers long before the mobile phone, and if they 'got worried' had to show some spine and tough it out. Giving kids the option to bail teaches them what? Yeah, that giving up is easy, so why do anything hard?

And you wondered why kids are diagnosed with ADD/ADHD. :shrug:

23. lucifers angel same shit, differant day!! Registered Senior Member

i dont wonder why kids have ADHD/ADD i know why kids get ADHD/ADD and it has NOTHING at all to do with peranting! It is down to certain ingrediants in certain foods!!